1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Best Belgian beers brewed in the Twin Cities

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by VoDre, Mar 23, 2013.

1. VoDre

VoDre Initiate (0) Minnesota Mar 23, 2013

I was just wondering what the best Belgian style beers are that are brewed in the Twin Cities. What breweries in particular in the Twin Cities have the most authentic/best Belgian styles.
  2. Pretty slim pickings I think. Harriet brews divine occulust and a saison, boom island hasa Belgian focus, lift bridge might brew something, flat earth has a seasonal tripel, and pour decisions has something they claim is a type of beer that trappist monks brew solely for internal consumption by the monks names Patisbier. That is all I can think of right of hand barring brewpub seasonal b special release. Not bad when I actually name the options, but still a pretty rare style compared to the ipa and stout that everyone sees to brew
  3. I would lean towards Boom Island. Their entire lineup is Belgian focused and they do a great job characterizing the Belgian style beers they make. They have a Tripel and a Pale Ale that are really nice, and their Christmas Ale (Yule) I really enjoyed and recommend getting your hands on. Surly Cynic is a good Belgian-style Saison.
    Philly82785, leezy, VoDre and 2 others like this.
  4. Harriet Brewing
  5. I have to correct my previous statement, I checked their site and divine occulust is a Belgian pale ale, dark abbey is their dubbel which I assume is what you are seeking.

Also i.m not sure if you are willing to stretch your range but borealis fermentary is Belgian focused and I've hears nothing but glowing reviews if their beers, but I think they are exclusively sold in Duluth
  6. dc55110

dc55110 Advocate (505) Minnesota Oct 24, 2010

While Boom Island does have a Belgian focus, they still are very inconsistent with their product.

I think the only real answer is Harriet. While their beers from time to time heavily German influenced, their focus is in Belgian styles, and they do it well.
    Torgo and leezy like this.
  7. jera1350

jera1350 Advocate (740) Minnesota Dec 15, 2007

I will throw Ovalde into the mix as well. Although not necessarily traditional Belgian Styles, they are in the neighborhood and oh so good.
    maximum12 likes this.
  8. I would say Harriet Brewing and Boom Island (for the time being) because those are the only ones that I know of that make it. I think Town Hall Brewery also made a Belgian-Style beer at one point a few years back.
  9. Harriet- Divine Oculust & West Side
    Boom Island- Brimstone
    Surly- Cynic

Not MN but good
    Furthermore Fatty Boom
    Lucette Shining/Double Dawn
  10. VoDre

VoDre Initiate (0) Minnesota Mar 23, 2013

Thanks for the help. I'll definitely have to get my hands on some of those. Does anyone know if any of the breweries that will be opening in the next year or two in the Twin Cities will have a Belgian focus or at least be offering any Belgian Styles?
  11. mjryan

mjryan Savant (455) Minnesota Dec 22, 2007

I've been buying quite a bit of Boom Island beer lately. I haven't experienced any consistency issues, just really good Belgian style beer.
    ballenc and stinsonwbs like this.
  12. BierVogel

BierVogel Savant (270) Minnesota Oct 29, 2012

Harriet and Boom Island. Never had issues with BI....great people, good beer.
    stinsonwbs likes this.
  13. Tamarack22

Tamarack22 Savant (280) Minnesota May 19, 2011

Boom Island all the way, it's the yeast. Especially love the dubbel. I've bought my fair share and haven't had any consistency issues.

Olvalde is great too. Never had Harriet, but heard lots of good things.
  14. BeerBoy

BeerBoy Savant (255) Wisconsin Aug 6, 2003

Make a trip out to the BrewFarm sometime (we are open this weekend (SAT30/SUN31, 3-7) btw). I brew with a large variety of Belgian-origin yeasts and a lot of "farmhouse" ingredients: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/21405 - hope you (any of you!) can make it out!
  15. While there is no one that more embodies the adventurous spirit of Belgian, I would call most of your beers UNtraditional. That bring said it is a must visit spot for the beer lover. Second best place to drink a beer in the upper Midwest if not the best.

Will there be an Easter egg hunt on Sunday?
  16. BeerBoy

No, but there will be the Easter Beer Hunt, also known as The Tasting Flight...
    I like to refer to my beers as "BrewFarm-style" - that amalgamation of all the beers I've drank, beery travels, love for cooking and NOT brewing what everybody else is brewing. Yesterday I brewed "LeCran," a beer with pureed cranberries, lemon peel and fermented with a Belgian Wit yeast. Tomorrow I'll be brewing a "somewhat" traditional Rauch beer. And so on... Come out and play!
  17. deebo

deebo Savant (415) Minnesota Oct 13, 2006

Pour Decisions Patersbier and Harriet's Divine Oculust are fantastic options. These 2 beers have nailed the Belgian yeast character that if you tend to love Belgian beers as I do will ring your bell. Nice to have some high quality options locally!
    VoDre likes this.
  18. maximum12

maximum12 Advocate (735) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

Olvalde head & shoulders above the rest.
    Harriet is making some good stuff, & it's better than it was.
    I'd include Dave's on the list except for the "Twin Cities" requirement.
    Everything else in this style I've had is pedestrian, or not quite.
  19. BeerBoy

A
    According to many TC "metro" maps, we're part of the Cities: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Twin_Cities_Metro_Area_(13_County).png
    State line? What state line???
  20. Absolutely! Olvalde is tops.
  21. According to Facebook pour decisions will be tapping a triple tonight anyone willing to go try it and let us know what it's like

I also strongly recommend olvalde, but probably almost an hour less metro than Dave's
  22. maximum12

maximum12 Advocate (735) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

23. MNPikey

MNPikey Advocate (500) Minnesota Feb 27, 2011

Just North of the cities! IMHO the best beer in MN and I don't usually like Belgian style beers. I always try and have a few bottles on hand here in Maple Grove.

[​IMG]
  24. incutrav

incutrav Savant (315) Minnesota Jan 16, 2007

You have a different opinion of what 'just north' of the cities is.

Hudson Brewing has a Belgian IPA on currently, be good for a stop on the way to the BrewFarm.
  25. BeerBoy

Wha? The collective mind-power of Humanity cannot be wrong!
    OK, I was lazy and it was the first Goog hit...
    But ya gotta find it somewhat interesting that St. Croix and Pierce Co.'s are considered part of the "Metro" area. Just waitin' for the annexation - I'd love to have all those lovely MN liquor laws and taxes...
  26. The 11 county classification is for census data and isn't related to state borders at all, as I am sure Kansas city metro area includes both Kansas and Missouri and the Memphis metro area includes multiple states. Obviously the brew farm is on the far side of St croix county but it seems plausible to include Hudson and Prescott within the metro area, I think wikipedia had gotten slightly more reliable in recent years, but I could be wrong