1. Rating beers by attributes (look, smell, taste, feel, overall) is back! Read the latest update ...
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Best Belgian Strong Dark Ale?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Preluderl, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Preluderl

Preluderl Savant (340) Pennsylvania Sep 27, 2012

Let me preface this by saying I have very little experience with Belgians. I love Troegs Mad Elf and while I realize it's a bit unique, I was curious about some opinions on other good bets in this style?

I see Chimay Blue ranks pretty highly and I know that's pretty easy to get your hands on. What else would the masses recommend that's not too hard to obtain?

2. mklisz

mklisz Advocate (595) New Hampshire Dec 31, 2010

Gulden Draak and Trois Pistoles are always nice and easily obtainable.

phooky likes this.
  3. Prospero

Prospero Advocate (655) Colorado Jul 27, 2010

Rochefort 8, Unibroue Trois Pistoles, Gulden Draak just to name a few. Thought Grande Reserve 17 was awesome too, as is Maudite & La Terrible. If you get Allagash, Odyssey & Black are good.

alexipa likes this.
  4. Try the Stift Engelszell Gregorius. I just had it on tap it was really good.

5. Unibroue's got 4 Belgian Strong Dark Ale's to try ,
    'La Terrible' & 'Grand Reserve17' both are a bit rare & $$ ,
    'Trois Pistoles' & 'Maudite' both are more common & only $

Squidly likes this.
  6. Prospero

Prospero Advocate (655) Colorado Jul 27, 2010

Oh and RR's Salvation when it's released.

7. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

These categories are unclear sometimes. Nevertheless, I LOVE Struise Pannepot.

MarcatGSB likes this.
  8. I have no idea what difference, if any, exists between a Dubbel a BSDA or a Quad for that matter.

So my answer is Chimay (red label).

denver10 likes this.
  9. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 18, 2010

I tend to lump all BSDAs and quads together, just as I do with all imperial stouts.
    Try any of these or these, I think you generally won't be disappointed.

10. Preluderl

I know little to nothing about Belgians so I appreciate the input on any of them, really. Thanks guys.

11. BB1313

BB1313 Champion (780) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

Ommegang Three Philosophers should be right up your alley.. it has some similarities with Mad Elf, especially the use of cherries. Three Philosophers is extremely easy to find too, great beer..

gengle likes this.
  12. Preluderl

I actually already have a bottle of Three Philosophers but I've not opened it yet. That's good to hear.

13. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (475) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

Chimay Grand Reserve and Rochefort 8.

14. Allagash Black one of my favorites, certainly better ones though, but I keep coming back to it.

15. MarioM

MarioM Advocate (525) California Sep 13, 2009

+1 on this

Unibroue's BSDAs are all great beers at a great price, besides Reserve 17 but here in CA at least, even La Terrible is usually the same price as Trois Pistoles and Maudite at ~$10 (750 mL).

Other good ones: Rochefort 8, Gulden Draak, Allagash Odyssey, Delirium Nocturnum, Chimay Blue & many more.

BSDAs are probably my favorite style at the moment...

16. The word "best", of course, is completely subjective. My advice is to use this list:

http://beeradvocate.com/lists/style/56

and try a couple from there near the top of the list. That's the "best" list for that style as compiled by the beer reviewers here.

My personal favorites are Chimay Blue and Rochefort 8. I also like Delirium Nocturnum quite a bit as well.

17. mmikey8 likes this.
  18. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (760) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

I've always liked Delirium Nocturnum.

19. mmikey8

mmikey8 Savant (270) California Aug 2, 2012

Delirium Nocturnum and Gulden Draak is what I turn to

20. mmikey8

mmikey8 Savant (270) California Aug 2, 2012

Jinx

21. MarkJBurch

MarkJBurch Savant (485) New York Jun 24, 2012

Brooklyn Local 2!

22. alexipa

alexipa Savant (410) Colorado Oct 7, 2011

La Terrible is my personal favorite. Everything from Unibroue is great though. Collaboration not Litigation from Avery is fantastic, but a bit harder to come by.

23. Gulden Draak is my go-to. Brother Thelonious is ok, but not as good.

24. Dubbel is lighter, lower alcohol, less complex than a Quad or a BSDA. One (really bad but simple) way to think about it is a Triple is an Imperial Single, and a Quad is an Imperial Dubbel.

BSDA vs Quad is an eons old discussion that has no great answer. Quad is a much narrower category, but quads basically are BSDAs. Cuvee van de Keizer Blue is the best BSDA out there, and also a great example of the difference between a quad and a BSDA.

Providence likes this.
  25. Sidebar - Cbeer88, have you seen this recently in MA, particularly north of boston?

26. If I were to choose one favorite from all those listed here I'd go with Unibroue La Terrible, though so far this thread has turned out to be a very solid list overall.

27. If you can still find it, I would add St. Bernardus Christmas Ale to the list. Definitely one of the best that I've had

28. Definitely seen it south of Boston recently... probably just between batches at the moment if your local stores are out of it. Hopefully, because if this beer comes hard to get I think I'm quitting.

29. Honestly, that beer has been on my mind several times while shopping and i just haven't spotted it.

30. BM coming...

31. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (645) Florida Jul 15, 2011

Cuvee Van De Keizer Blauw!

Jwale73 likes this.
  32. I'll second that and add the much underrated Alesmith Grand Cru

glaze3 likes this.
  33. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

I third this. You win +500 internetz.

Great beer!

Cheers!

34. +1.

Also agree on Gulden Draak, Chimay Blue, Delirium Nocturnum, and thye Unibroues.

35. Radome

Radome Advocate (505) California May 24, 2009

I'm living in Europe at the moment so I'm out of touch with what is easily available "stateside". But I can't resist because this is my favorite style, so I'll just list a few of the standouts for me.

You gotta try some of the classic examples (after all the style is called "Belgian") like Chimay Blue, Gouden Carolus Classic, Gulden Draak and Rochefort 8. You can’t go wrong with any number from The Bruery or Lost Abbey. Try 2 Turtle Doves and 10 Commandments, respectively. Unibroue has several good ones, but the best I’ve tried is Maudite. And, as has been pointed out, Three Philosophers is an amazing and fairly available beer.