1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Best bets for Napa?

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by JBatman, Apr 22, 2013.

1. JBatman

JBatman Initiate (0) Indiana Aug 22, 2009

I'll be in Napa this weekend doing the wine thing. Luckily my fiance is also a beer advocate (stipulation of marriage ;) - I've searched the forum prior and so far come up with:

Billco's
    Whole Foods
    Napa Smith
    Dean & Deluca

Anything else or anything new open up that's worth trying out? I figure we'll probably hit up a local joint or restaurant bar after dinner each night.

Thanks!

2. baycat

baycat Aficionado (180) California Apr 30, 2008

Add Bounty Hunter to the list, like to visit there too.

3. May as well go to Downtown Joe's. It's a brewery with a great location, okay beer and always at least one Russian River on tap.

flexabull likes this.
  4. It may be worth the 40-mile trip to Santa Rosa to visit Russian River. Their 14-taster flight is quite an experience.

5. JBatman

Bounty Hunter looks awesome. IF I can I'm going to make the trek to RR...that was originally the plan until I realized it was an hour away :(

6. BSzucs

BSzucs Zealot (75) California May 15, 2011

Batman,

Ask yourself this "When will I be in CA the next time, so that I can visit RR?" depending on the answer decide if it is worth going to this time around. I have been to RR and it is a really nice beerpub.

I have been to the WF and it is nice - it actually has a bar section, and you can pay a cork fee and drink anything they have. My friend told me he went to Napa Smith and enjoyed it, but I think it is no food. I have actually only driven past there when I go fill up my CO2 from down the street.

The other locations I have not been to.

Also Lagunitas is quite the brewery to go to, really nice patio area and every time I have gone to get a keg they are really nice!

dwagner003 likes this.
  7. everyone already pretty much set you up. Question...where in Napa are you going to be? "Napa" is a specific spot, but a lot of people just call the entire region Napa. You may be closer to a few options or further, depending on where you are staying or what wineries you are staying around.

8. JBatman

I'm staying at a B&B in Yountville. Having dinner at Bottega and Ad Hoc and brunch at Auberge du Soleil Sunday. I know at some point we'll get wine'd out and want to relax somewhere with a good atmosphere...which it looks like I'm well on my way to being covered there with the above suggestions.

Where is Lagunitas in relation? I'm debating on whether or not to bring a bottle or two in case I run into any BA's or bars that would appreciate foreign brews.

9. Lagunitas is in Petaluma, about 25 miles dead west of Napa.

10. from my trip I took up that way... bring a couple bottles if possible. you never know when a random bottle share can take place hahaa

11. DJButters

DJButters Savant (310) California Jun 23, 2010

Grab a blue apron at ad hoc. head to rr or lagunitas. bear republic is also nice. Let me know if you want to swap some brew. I live in yountville.

12. DJButters

DJButters Savant (310) California Jun 23, 2010

Might also be worth drinking wine in wine country

danscott and blguillen like this.
  13. rboinski

rboinski Savant (305) California Mar 19, 2012

If you are passing napa and need a quick food fix I can't recommend the oxbow market highly enough. Kara's cupcakes (pretty overly sweet if you are into that), C casa for really good small plate freshmex, ritual for coffee, and the beer places inside have had RR beers on tap in the past. Are you looking for any winery recommendations? My finacé is in the industry and we taste in sonoma/napa/mendocino pretty much every weekend to see whats around and keep her palette up so if you need any recommendations just let me know what wine styles you are looking for.

14. JBatman

Awesome rec for the blue apron, I may have missed that otherwise! We're both as much wine advocates as BA's and we're booked pretty solid for wineries so my beer adventures will be opportunistic. Here's my cellar, should be somewhat updated - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkYV7a098J-AdEJvNllfRXlOVm00ZDNMSkNaT2xMYlE#gid=0

15. If you're in Yountville, then you have the perfect opportunity to swing over to RR. Just take the "Oakville Grade Rd" to "Dry Creek" and "Trinity" and you'll be there. It's a scenic drive. Beautiful trees, curving roads, etc. When you finish with RR, I'd suggest taking the southerly freeway/interstate route after that as it'll ultimately be quicker and not as meandering.

16. rboinski

rboinski Savant (305) California Mar 19, 2012

The other choice is 128 out of Geyserville to allow wine tasting in the Sonoma Dry Creek Valley.

17. Also, if you're a cheese lover, then a great spot for cheese and wine is V. Sattui.

http://www.vsattui.com/

The wine is fantastic, so I highly recommend it for that as well, but for my money, the superb cheese selection they had was the real draw.

18. Napa is no-mans land for beer. If you are staying in Yountville, the Blue Apron is a good call. Bistro Jeanty has Chimay on tap -- that's about it. Bottle Barn in Santa Rosa is the best shop in the area, but that isn't close - and if you are going to head over the hill, just go to RRBC (which if you are a hophead, has a number of great IPA's on tap right now).

19. I grew up 25 minutes from Napa. Norman Rose in DT Napa supposedly has tap take overs. I haven't drank there myself so I can't say. Oh and I hate Napa Smith beer. Tastes like bad homebrew. If you do make a trip to RR (which I suggest) check out Bottle Barn.

As for food and other adventures...

The Oxbow Public Market is a must see. I suggest grabbing some pizza at Ca Momi and coffee at Ritual. There's also great ice cream, tacos and oysters.

If you make it to St. Helena, eat at either Farmstead or Cook. At Farmstead, order the meatballs (not traditional) and split a burger then finish with the chocolate pie. If you can't get a table, I may or may not know someone that can get you seated as long as you tip the servers well. ;) Cook has some of the best pasta in the valley (better than Bottega IMO). It's a real treat.

What wineries are you going to? I always suggest Hall. I don't know if you can get in now, but you can get a private tasting at Kathryn Hall Estate next to Auberge... or just go to the regular Hall winery! Or Darioush... Caymus... Alpha and Omega... Robert Sinskey... man so many great spots. I can't wait to be back in NorCal. haha

Have fun.

20. danscott

danscott Savant (335) California Jul 15, 2006

Napa?

Worry more about the wine and less about the beer.

Thirsty_Rob and PaulStoneAnchor like this.
  21. MastaShonuf

MastaShonuf Savant (375) California Jan 21, 2013

All great selections. If you are going to drive out to RR, you could also head out to Healdsburg. There you can hit up several other wineries and Beer Republic. I think this is quite an adventure though as you still need to make it back to Napa in one piece.

Wineries suggestions: Peju, Frank Family, Miner...if you are going to Dean & Deluca get the brownies there and head up the street about half a mile and go to Prager for port. It is on the left side and if you do not look for it you will miss it.

What dates are you heading out this way, if you need anything, I could probably meet you out this way. I live in Benicia, which is about 45 minutes from Napa and RR. My Cellar