1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

best bomber prices?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by chuckstout, Feb 18, 2013.

1. yoitsarch

yoitsarch Savant (315) California Nov 13, 2012

22oz Speakeasy Big Daddy for $3.99

2. Trader Joe's is the place to go for bomber deals. Not sure if they have them where you live but they have bombers in the $2 range. I was checking out and she rang up the bomber and I stood there dumbfounded. I honestly said "is that price correct?" She said, yeah, and it's good beer too. So yeah, pretty tough to beat a $2.50 bomber. It's not phenomenal beer or anything but it's decent.

3. BlueRogue

BlueRogue Advocate (615) Maine May 1, 2011

I am mesmerized by your avatar. What was the topic again?

4. sbxx

sbxx Savant (465) Illinois Mar 21, 2011

I got Hop Stoopid for $4.49 and thought wow not a bad deal... Then I tasted it.

There's a reason the good stuff is $10+.

Best deal so far would be something like Lagunitas' Cappucino stout for the same price. That actually wasn't too bad.

ironchefmiyagi13 likes this.
  5. Lagunitas and Stone have great prices for beer of such high quality.

Blanco likes this.
  6. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (760) New York Oct 24, 2010

Foothills has some very reasonably priced bombers. Though, since they started putting Hoppyum in sixers for ~$9, the value of their bombers is almost moot, now.

Sidenote, Hoppyum is a seriously underappreciated beer.

7. DCgolfpro

DCgolfpro Savant (440) Maryland Oct 26, 2011

Stone at $5.99 takes the cake for me.

8. ferallifter

ferallifter Initiate (20) Feb 16, 2013

Arrogant Bastard is usually a great deal for a 22oz. Ballast Point Sculpin is a great beer, but I have a hard time spending $7.50-$8.50 on a 22oz bottle.

9. Uinta Labyrinth is like $11...best priced bourbon barrel aged imperial stout. Probably due to it being labeled a black ale...shhhhhhhhh

10. Steeeve

Steeeve Savant (255) Pennsylvania Nov 16, 2010

I just remembered I picked up Avery Hog Heaven and Salvation for $5.50 each last week. Those are pretty good prices for >9% abv beers.

11. Steeeve

Steeeve Savant (255) Pennsylvania Nov 16, 2010

Is it bourbon barrel aged? I was under the impression it was only oak aged. I definitely don't remember any bourbon flavor in it, just lots of disgusting licorice.

12. no youre right, my mistake, rye barrels.

13. Highland Gaelic Ale and most all of their bomber are $4.00-$5.50 in NC

14. SteelersX

SteelersX Savant (420) New York Jan 30, 2011

King Henry was a steal at $10 a bomber case price.

15. cobrakai44

cobrakai44 Disciple (50) Illinois Oct 31, 2009

I agree this is one of the better "values" in the bomber category. Best bang for you buck in hops and alcohol.

16. beerindaglass

beerindaglass Savant (300) Florida Feb 20, 2013

Second for Douible Bastard being a good deal. Most bombers are a rip. I can't buy DFH @ 14 bucks and Hopstoopid @ 6 when I can get a pair of better singles by the same brewer for less money.

17. All the ones mentioned are great, and true. I'll throw in Laughing Dog. Mostly for the Dogzilla black IPA at 5$. Stone is the best for the price for sure.. Even the higher end like Ruination for 6.99. But I always get the 4 pack at 11.99. Duh

18. Shmuffalo

Shmuffalo Savant (310) Pennsylvania Feb 26, 2012

Stone always has reasonable prices, even for their limited releases. Lagunitas also has really good prices for bombers.

19. Vonstein15

Vonstein15 Savant (310) Ohio Jan 15, 2010

Great beer and I found it last week for $2.99 also SN Western Hemisphere for $3.99.Cheers

20. D
    Descender was the first thing that flashed across my mind when I saw this thread.

21. goalie33

goalie33 Savant (330) New York Dec 3, 2009

overall, i find that stone has the best bomber prices. most of their bombers are under $6 where I am, and you almost always get a high quality product. I've paid a lot more and gotten a lot less from some other breweries.

22. In mass, Berkshire Holidale at 4$ is f-ing awesome. Hop Stoopid and some of the harpoon 100 barrel series are reasonable. Other than that I dont really buy bombers. Back in college I'd spring for a Noble Pils bomber with my natty light.

Miller Highlife for 1.35 is decent.

23. Berkshire Brewing Company. $5. Usually less.

24. Shagator

Shagator Savant (410) Kentucky Mar 17, 2012

Bombers are ridiculously overpriced in general, but I still buy them, and I spend more than I should. Stone and SN has always seemed to be reasonable. FFF seems to be a little over priced, but I have bought two dreadnaughts and an APW in the last few days. Sometimes I can find Southern Tier at a decent price for Unearthly. The overcharge for some of the others

25. Could've said a dozen others, but after seeing this - Arrogant Bastard....:D:D:D

[​IMG]

New Avatar anybody....go!

ironchefmiyagi13 and dar482 like this.
  26. Last week I picked up a Mission - Dark Seas for 4 something! I thought was an amazing deal.

27. $1.99 Mission St. bombers at Trader Joe's. I believe these are brewed by various brewers, but the beers aren't bad for $2!

28. Saw a ton of Victory Hellios bombers on the shelf today and they were 4.99 and that was enticing but I picked up 3 bottles and checked the dates and they all expired in 2012 so I passed.

29. sukwonee

sukwonee Advocate (540) Washington Dec 13, 2011

Where do you get Fremont bombers at $3.75? Most of them are $4.50+ where I get mine.

30. gpawned

gpawned Initiate (0) Illinois Jun 5, 2012

I've recently started buying these great new 1/2 bombers. I get them dirt cheap...like six for $8.

31. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,135) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

$3.95 for Full Sail Old Boardhead.

32. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

Not sure if they're going to keep them around now that they're moving to 6-packs, but Backcountry bombers are $4-$5 in Denver.

33. I paid $12 for a bomber of BCBCS - doesn't seem like an amazing value at first glance, but considering it's one of the best beers I've *EVER* had, it's a damn bargain.

34. lic217

lic217 Savant (435) Connecticut Aug 10, 2010

Berkshire Brewing Company. they are local and I am unsure where else they are distributed, but they are about 3.50 a bomber and a couple of their brews are really good. Not anything that will blow your mind though.

35. Hop Stoopid at about $4.50, Ballast Point Big Eye also $4.50, Trader Joe's Anniversary ale (Unibroue brewed) $4.99, Pliny the Elder ( 17.25 oz) $4.99 at Total wine, Sierra Nevada Estate (25.4 oz) end of season at Total wine ,$3.99, Ballast Point Sculpin $7.49 and worth every penny!

36. MammaGoose

MammaGoose Aficionado (210) Wyoming Jan 10, 2013

I typically compare all beer to the six-pack equivalent and/or the pint-on-tap equivalent. I happily pay $8-12 for most six packs I enjoy, and average around $10. However, I also happily pay $4-5 for a pint of most beers on tap. So my happy range is about $0.08/oz (for a roughly $10 sixer) OR $0.25/oz (for a $4 pint). Pretty high difference, so I compare things like how much I like the beer, how easily available it is to me, if it's rare/limited/seasonal, other bottle options like a six pack or single, etc when I'm deciding if a price of a beer is closer to my $0.08/oz end or the $0.25/oz.

For bombers, a $3.65 22oz bomber is pretty much equivalent to a $12 six-pack. That's a pretty expensive six pack, and I'd have to really want it...but that's a pretty dang cheap bomber, and you don't see many awesome beers in bombers for that price. A 22oz bomber at $5.50 is the same per oz cost of buying a $4 pint. Still not a very expensive bomber.

Point being, I very rarely justify buying bombers. When I do, it's when I'm travelling and want to try new beers and share them with friends at home without hauling back a dozen six packs.

seakayak likes this.
  37. dennho

dennho Savant (335) Massachusetts Oct 29, 2006

[​IMG]

19.2 ounces for $2.99 is a bargain.

38. dirtylou

dirtylou Champion (785) Washington May 12, 2005

Straight from the source!

sukwonee likes this.
  39. sukwonee

sukwonee Advocate (540) Washington Dec 13, 2011

Nice!

I (finally) visited the brewery last week and it was really cool. The Brother IPA on tap was awesome and I picked a growler of their porter (it was just okay) and glassware. Cool people working there too.

40. chimneyjim

chimneyjim Aficionado (230) Oregon Jun 23, 2004

Redhook Pilsner @ $2.19
    Pyramid Outburst @ $2.29