1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Best bottle shops on Nashville

Discussion in 'US - South' started by gustogasmic, Dec 17, 2012.

1. gustogasmic

gustogasmic Savant (295) Michigan Jan 13, 2012

Alright, so my buddy is leaving the army base in GA tomorrow and coming back up to MI for the holidays. He's looking to get some great beer not available in MI on his way up through Nashville. What are the must haves and where can he find 'em? Cheers!
  2. GatorBeerNerd

GatorBeerNerd Savant (405) Georgia Sep 15, 2007

3. Tilley4

Tilley4 Advocate (520) Tennessee Nov 13, 2007

Midtown or Frugals are your best bets in Nashville but Graces is worth a stop as well.
    TnBeer_Diva likes this.
  4. TnBeer_Diva

TnBeer_Diva Aspirant (35) Dec 1, 2012

Like Tilley said, Midtown or Frugals. Yazoo is our local brewery, and just about everything they make is outstanding. Yazoo taproom is open Wed-Sat. evenings.
  5. harperman69

harperman69 Savant (355) Tennessee Feb 11, 2009

Pretty much what the others said. Although Midtown is a lot easier to find if you're unfamiliar with Nashville.
  6. I stop at Midtown every time I hit up Nashville, highly recommended.
  7. Casedogg43

Casedogg43 Savant (480) Indiana Jan 4, 2012

Midtown is right off 65.
    So I stop in occasionally.
    Pretty decent placen and they try hard to get good beers!
  8. I'm going to Nashville for New Years, with a stop in Knoxville on the way. Are there any bottle shops in Knoxville that anyone would recommend over the ones mentioned in Nashville?
  9. For you Nashville locals, what's the difference between Midtown and Frugals? I've been to Frugals a few times and have been impressed*, but Midtown gets rated higher. Just curious.

*Impressed with selection and price, but consider that I live in Memphis
  10. sommersb

sommersb Advocate (575) Tennessee May 25, 2010

IMHO, Midtown gets good marks for having a better selection of beer, a staff that knows their beer and will discuss it with you, and the convenience of making up any mixed-6 pack you want (low gravity side only).

Frugal has a good selection as well, but not as good as Midtown. Frugal's best feature is they have better prices than Midtown on some beer. They have a mixed 6-pack option, but its limited to what they have on their mixer shelves. I also think you have to watch out for expired beer more at Frugal.
    harperman69 likes this.
  11. Thanks for the feedback. I don't mind paying a dollar or two more for better selection.
  12. harperman69

harperman69 Savant (355) Tennessee Feb 11, 2009

This is exactly the difference. Mainly that the staff wants to talk beer with you and will point you out to some good stuff if you're not familiar with some of the beers or breweries.
  13. JonHoswin

JonHoswin Aspirant (40) Tennessee Jan 6, 2013

14. sommersb

sommersb Advocate (575) Tennessee May 25, 2010

15. ruuustin

ruuustin Disciple (50) Tennessee Jan 24, 2011

When I went into Craft Brewed the other day there were definitely kinks, but the potential is there.
  16. smk8nig

smk8nig Aficionado (130) Colorado Jan 26, 2013

I went to both Midtown and Frugals this week. Midtown had a larger selection, but Frugals had more Barrel-Aged beers than Midtown - and that's really what I was looking for.
  17. I'm not a fan of Frugals at all, especially the high grav selection. Midtown is much better. But I think Craft Brewed has the best selection by far, both high grav and low grav. I would go there before the other 2, even though Midtown would be my second choice. Craft Brewed has the selection, knowledge PLUS you can get a pint while you're there.

I actually live in Franklin so I usually go to Red Dog. Their selection is on par with any place in Nashville, so if in that neck of the woods, check them out.
    beerfoodlodging likes this.
  18. cfaulman

cfaulman Savant (320) Louisiana May 1, 2013

I give a +1 for Red Dog, My hometown is in Franklin, and thanks to @Volntitan , go to this place when Im in town.
    jsboots21 likes this.
  19. Just got back from beer hunting at Midtown. I gotta tell you, I thought their beer selection was great. It takes some time getting used to buy sone beers on one side and the higher gravity beers on the other, but the visit was well worth it. I have some goodiesvto take home.
    It also takes some getting used to, not being able to buy bottles at the brewery. I did get a growler of Harvest Ale at Blackstone and will be cracking open in a little bit. Thanks all for the great tips in this thread! Cheers!
  20. You can buy bottles at Blackstone, but they don't bottle a lot of their beer.
    creepinjeeper likes this.
  21. Yeah, I misspoke there. The hostess did, however, tell me to go to Midtown or Frugal MacDougal's for a better selection of their beer. Was able to pick up Adam Bomb, among others. Nice that Midtown let me put together mixed six packs of almost anything! Not used to that in Chicagoland. Our stores have racks with the bottles for making mixed packs. All in all, an excellent beer hunting experience!
  22. Yes, they don't usually have a lot in the restaurant. Just wanted to clarify, because it's a somewhat weird process due to state law. They aren't allowed to bring the beer to you when you are in the restaurant.
  23. garjc

garjc Initiate (0) Tennessee Jul 13, 2006

Cool Springs Wine & Spirits in Franklin. The have a walk-in high gravity beer cave!
    creepinjeeper likes this.
  24. khargro2

khargro2 Savant (470) Georgia Jan 11, 2012

I prefer Midtown and Grace's in Nashville, but a new find this week was Pour Vous in Hendersonville. As for Knoxville, I would suggest The Casual Pint. Nashville's beer stores are much better though.
  25. Best in Nashville=craft brewed
    Best in franklin (high grav)=red dog
    cfaulman likes this.
  26. jbrana

jbrana Aficionado (105) Tennessee Mar 7, 2012

Grace's used to be worthwhile until their beer guy left and they moved to a much smaller location. No one on staff seems to know anything about beer anymore, and they don't really have the selection they used to have.
    beerfoodlodging likes this.