1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Best Breakfast Beers

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by wesbray, Feb 1, 2013.

1. I think it's the "B" in FBS.
  2. chcfan

chcfan Advocate (525) California Oct 29, 2008

There isn't a set of beers specifically brewed to be drank with breakfast, the name comes from having ingredients like coffee and oatmeal.
  3. GennyCreamAle

GennyCreamAle Initiate (0) New York Feb 25, 2009

Homemade Micheladas are very good IMO.
  4. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (500) New York Mar 7, 2010

One time after a night of drunkenness, I woke up after just four hours of sleep. The night before I had poured myself a full pint of Tatra Mocne (7abv) but knocked out before I could take a sip.

I woke up with a hellish hangover and figured chugging that pint down would help, so that's what I did.

Not only did my hangover not go away but I wound up being drunk all over again!!! I was drunk but still had the symptoms of a hangover. I had stuff to that morning as well. So I recommend something with lower alcohol. Polish Malt Liquor is a no-go.
    luwak likes this.
  5. Bavarian Hefeweizen (with veal sausages, sweet mustard, and a pretzel)

[​IMG]
    swellcat and dbrauneis like this.
  6. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

Saranac White IPA with champagne on ice with any egg fronted brunch
  7. I'm more a fan of oatmeal stouts for breakfast, than some of the higher gravity ones like FBS. Samuel Smith, Anderson Valley.... Smooth, rich, and creamy. Very satisfying. (Gotta be a cold morning though!)
  8. a74gent

a74gent Savant (395) Massachusetts Mar 16, 2010

Short's Cup of Joe....I don't even drink it other times of the day....I like it in a coffee mug...pours dark with a nice tan creamy head. Any breakfast food you want with it is money!
  9. atoulouk

atoulouk Savant (400) Indiana Apr 25, 2011

Give me some pancakes, bacon, and an FBS any day of the week... in the founders coffee mug designed for FBS of course
  10. MatthewPlus

MatthewPlus Savant (335) Florida Jan 2, 2013

ive paired banhof berlinerweiss with quail egg cornbread benedicts. pretty outstanding. Lawsons maple tripel pairs well with fried chicken and waffles.
  11. Victory @ sea
  12. Whatever I left half consumed in the fridge from the night before.
  13. Brew33

Brew33 Advocate (610) Ohio Oct 24, 2007

GLBC Dortmunder Gold
  14. If your drinking beer for breakfast it doesn't matter. Your already a champion for doing so and you love beer!
  15. My vote goes to 3Beans!
    Providence and hogansct like this.
  16. I've had FBS several times for/with breakfast. I'd also recommend Beer Geek Breakfast and Southern Tier Oat.
  17. i'd go with a coffee bender, 3beans, or FMB (yes, i like this beer)... in a perfect world getting more funky buddha last snow would be ideal (coconut? YES!, vanilla? YES!, coffee? YES!!!!)

Edit: i thought LS had vanilla, it turn out it was white chocolate and caramel... but "YES" regardless
  18. seakayak

seakayak Savant (355) Massachusetts May 20, 2007

"Breakfast beer! You never had it? One sip of breakfast beer, the cobwebs go, your voice rises, and hey, the sun rises inside you."

--Robert DeNiro in Jacknife (1989)--
  19. MammaGoose

MammaGoose Aficionado (210) Wyoming Jan 10, 2013

I have only had beer in the morning (specifically with breakfast) a few times. I wake up early, and if I'm going to have breakfast at all, that will also be early. If I have one beer, I'll most likely feel like I need another one. And it would be verging on ridiculous to start drinking at 6am.

I've gone the coffee stout/porter route because it just makes sense. But, while I typically love heavy stouts, I don't have much of a stomach for anything in the morning, so I don't find them to be overly appealing. I think I'd rather have something crisp and light and even citrusy. A fruity hop profiled IPA, perhaps. Or even a Belgian wit with an orange slice.
  20. coachdicarlo

coachdicarlo Initiate (0) Missouri Apr 20, 2012

who doesn't like a good stout?
  21. coachdicarlo

coachdicarlo Initiate (0) Missouri Apr 20, 2012

And nans on you ever having had either of these in the morning
  22. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Champion (930) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

About 15 years ago, for one month I did an experiment where I had a half litre of German Weissbier every morning. I didn't feel too good throughout the day. It's better as a late morning snack.

Or it's good in a smaller portion.

Also Belgian Witbier is excellent with fancy omelets, especially Garrett Oliver's Gorgonzola Pear omelet.
  23. Though I've had FBS in the morning before, I agree it can be tough on the stomach. I much prefer a Founders Porter instead.
  24. You're right. Generally the Weisswurst breakfast is more of a brunch. It's also typically eaten on Sunday, after Mass, and followed by a lengthy nap.
  25. ripps1

ripps1 Savant (375) New Jersey Aug 28, 2012

In the Winter months I go with Espresso Oak Aged Yeti with a full breakfast. It seems to hit the spot for me. During the summer months, if I am on a camping trip I try and make it pale ale or IPA for breakfast.
  26. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

My favorite so far has been Abyss with biscuits and gravey. FBS is also a great choice.
  27. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (620) Florida Jul 15, 2011

A light saison or a hefeweizen work well.
    Of course, WnB or FBS are good too if you're tired of plain old coffee.
  28. pchop77

pchop77 Disciple (70) Pennsylvania Mar 26, 2009

I pair FBS with my mother-in-law's chocolate chip banana pancakes at Christmas breakfast every year.
  29. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (465) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

Witbiers and Hefes are actually good pairings with breakfast foods. Very traditional as well.
    swellcat likes this.
  30. When my dad went to Munich for business years back he said it was pretty common to have a hefeweizen with breakfast. Usually paired with white sausages, a pretzel and sweet mustard. I've had FBS, Peche Mortel and Berkshire Coffee House Porter with a late breakfast before like around 11. I don't think I could handle a beer at like 8 am.
    swellcat likes this.
  31. To Ol Goliat.
  32. Wake N Bake > Founder's Breakfast Stout (IMO :))
  33. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

[​IMG]
    Drinking a CW Peruvian Morning right this moment and it's pretty damn delicious.
  34. I think Odell Lugene Chocolate Milk Stout or 4 Hands Chocolate Milk Stout would be great with breakfast. I used to drink chocolate milk every morning as a kid, I don't think either of these beers is too far away from that :)
  35. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

Why do you use milk? There's a good reason the rest of us are using Founders Breakfast Stout!
  36. Moe's Bender.
  37. Vonstein15

Vonstein15 Savant (310) Ohio Jan 15, 2010

Weekends are nice way to start off with Narwhal Imp Stout and a cup of dark roast coffee.Let's get to one more day.Cheers
  38. I would have to agree with any of the New Glarus fruit beers..Gueuze's also work good
  39. wake n' bake...
    And to drink i have a Wake n' bake