1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Best budget Imperial IPA

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by yodajammies, Feb 5, 2013.

1. jfh

jfh Aficionado (200) California Apr 25, 2008

Auburn Ale house PU240. About $6 per 22oz bomber. Good night is Auburn AH Fools Gold IPA followed by PU 240. Probably not available anywhere but NorCal.

Old Rasputin 4pack for $10?

Whats the best budget Imperial IPA and Imperial Stout? I have tried Pyramid 9.99 for a six pack. Anything else out there? Thanks[/quote]

2. pitweasel

pitweasel Advocate (545) New York Jun 11, 2007

Of course not. Just in the same way that I hope you don't think paying for a bomber is the same as paying 1/3 a price of a theoretical six pack. You're comparing oz to oz pricing, I'm comparing the money that would actually change hands in the acquisition of delicious beer.

3. Bitter_Echo

Bitter_Echo Savant (400) Michigan Apr 13, 2012

Hop Stoopid. (Sorry so late to the party!)

4. SenorHops

SenorHops Savant (385) Rhode Island Aug 10, 2010

I paid $14 for a 4 pack of Deviant Dales last year. You call that a "budget" IIPA? It was a malt bomb, to boot.

5. SenorHops

$7.87? Was that a Rollback price? Hahaha!

6. Sucks is the only acceptable answer here.

7. Why do I feel the need to take a shower?

8. rigo

rigo Aficionado (145) New York Jul 30, 2006

avery the maharaja

DeviousSpirits likes this.
  9. Just got Union Jack for 9.99 a six pack

10. I'm not trying to be critical, there's been a lot of great input, but I sit here with my head in my palm when I'm reading suggestions for barleys and stouts when the OP specifically asked for Imperial IPA's.

powpig2002 and Wolfhead like this.
  11. screamking

screamking Savant (325) Ohio Jan 20, 2013

He asked for input on imperial stouts too.... Don't just read the title, read the post too!

12. Sucks of course is the best/cliche answer on here, but there are some really other good ones out there. Smuttynose Big A IPA, Sixpoint Resin, DFH 90, Hop Stoopid. Also, Sierra Nevada's Torpedo is a great IPA with a kick like a DIPA. and all are under $12!

13. Recently had Sucks for the first time, nothing about that beer sucks.

14. Awkward. :oops: (Late night beer drinking coupled with being tired = embarrassing.)

ColdOne and screamking like this.
  15. Cvescalante

Cvescalante Savant (400) Texas Dec 24, 2012

So not a malt bomb bro. And here its like 11ish per 4 pack. Still not the cheapest, but its pretty good.
    Not to argue, but it may have been on the shelf too long before you bought it. Just my opinion though

16. $21 for less beer than a six pack. That's a "value?"

17. Mongrel

Mongrel Savant (405) Maryland Feb 14, 2013

And/or Brown Shugga. Both unbelievable and underrated values.

18. SenorHops

I assume it must have been old. Couldn't read the date on it. Shouldn't have been on shelves because it sucked.

19. Cvescalante

The date is on the bottom of the can. I can't stand not knowing the date it was bottled/canned. I had Hop Stoopid one time and it was a terrible malty mess. It was surely old though. Dates are crucial to knowing the quality of beer

20. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (630) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

Ska Modus Hoperandi sixpk cans.

21. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

22. You see it in 6 packs where you live?

23. Harpoon Leviathan.

24. No, a six pack is 72oz. Three $7 bombers is 66oz and costs $21.

How is that a value when there are DIPAs out there that are better, cheaper, and of more volume?

Not that it's a bad beer, I just don't follow the logic.

FlakyBiscuit likes this.
  25. My vote for RIS is Brooklyn Black Chocolate

For DIPA, I'd go with Sucks, FF Exit 16, Maximus, or Double Trouble.

26. Shaaarrrp

Shaaarrrp Disciple (65) Virginia Dec 5, 2012

Damn Dave...where you livin? A sixer of Hopslam in VA is $24 and change

27. I see that bomber at 9.99 to 11.99. So at 6.99, i get value. I get your argument with the 6 pack volume logic but a bomber would have to be at 2,.99 to be of value. I was serious though....if you see it in a sixer, let me know. Be good.......drink better

28. xombii13

xombii13 Zealot (95) Texas Apr 21, 2011

Hop Stoopid for the win!

29. Torpedo is one of my favorite IPAs, but it's not an Imperial IPA. The name, "Torpedo Extra IPA" is a bit misleading.

30. SenorHops

Yeah, all the stamps were faded. I made the mistake of assuming that a beer that had so much hype behind it couldn't have stayed on the shelf for any extended amount of time. Anyway, all Oskar Blues beers in the Massachusetts area are ridiculously priced. They want $12 for a 6 pack of Dale's Pale Ale. No thanks. I'll have SNPA for $8.

31. Definitely Lagunitas Maximus or Sucks!

32. I agree with this, fresh this beer is amazing, had one that was I don't know how old, maybe a couple months but not much more, and it was unimpressive to say the least.

33. ColdOne

ColdOne Savant (440) New York Jan 19, 2013

Agree 100%. I'd rather that buck or two go to the awesome family that owns my local bottle shop.

34. nc41

nc41 Advocate (660) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Sucks at 10.99 a sixer, easily the best easy to get DIPA I can get in NC.

35. Cvescalante

Holy crap. I wouldn't pay that price either. Only 6.99 for dales pale ale here.. Can't go wrong with SN though

36. powpig2002

powpig2002 Savant (335) Florida Jan 26, 2012

you noticed also, huh?