1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Best California Beer

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by MichPaul, Apr 4, 2012.

1. MichPaul

MichPaul Advocate (710) Michigan Jan 28, 2012

What are you favorite Beers made in California to date, I have tried PtE so far, but not much else...

2. JoolyGoodFellow

JoolyGoodFellow Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2012

Easy, Adidas.

3. Might as well just ask "What's your favorite beer?" all of the best beers are brewed in CA anyways.

I'll say Alpine Nelson is my favorite beer, and not coincidentally, it happens to be brewed in CA.

4. TheFlern

TheFlern Savant (385) Idaho May 9, 2009

Just Outstanding IPA from KRBC. This beer was a definite wtf moment for me. I had heard it was good but I was nowhere near prepared for just how good it is.

5. JoolyGoodFellow

JoolyGoodFellow Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2012

if you're the simple sort, I suppose.

6. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (835) California Nov 16, 2009

How in the hell do you expect anyone to answer this?
    You really wanted to watch people argue dont you.

Cheers!

alwaysanswerb and teamizm like this.
  7. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

There are far too many answers for this, especially since it's not constrained to styles. Pliny, Union Jack, West Coast IPA, Old Raspy, Parabola, Sculpin, Wipe Out IPA, Exponential Hoppiness....and that's just off the top of my head. Not to mention all the great CA beers I haven't even tried yet.

It's not bad living here :)

8. Moonlight Reality Czeck, the Plinys, Duet, Just Outstanding, Beatification, Supplication, Compunction, Black Tuesday, Anchor Humming, Drake's Hop Salad, Speedway, Tongue Buckler to name a few. Favourite one-offs would be led by Firestone 11 and Partridge in a Spice Tree.

9. MichPaul

Ha ha ha, not at all! Sorry, I didn't want to make any bit of dissension in the ranks. I like about EVERY style of craft that there is, so I didn't want to confine it to one style. I guess a way I could have narrowed it down was to ask for you Top 5 California beers. Would that help?

I would love to go out there and meet up with some former Marine friends of mine, and make a Beer tasting trip out of it as well. I would just love to hear some of the names of your faves. GREAT suggestions so far!!!

10. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (835) California Nov 16, 2009

Yes that would help ALOT vs asking to pick the #1 beer in CA. I mean come on. Not even possible given all the great beer we have in the state. I think even a top 10 is going to make people argue for a while.

Cheers!

11. ledzeppelin4

ledzeppelin4 Savant (365) Illinois May 18, 2011

My favorite California beer I've had so far is Lagunitas Hop Stoopid.

MichPaul likes this.
  12. MichPaul

Got that down in the basement. I better crack it open soon!

13. Glibber

Glibber Savant (310) Idaho Jan 25, 2009

so I l really love Northern California beer, and really tout Northern California as a hotbed for beer I am from Boise Idaho, so I get most of the Northwest beer- and not really east coast beer- anyway is seems amongst the beer community the higher alcohol beers tend to get higher ratings- and Lagunitas makes some great imperial IPAs, and strong beers (Little Sumpin', LS Wild, Brown Sugga, Maximus, Hairy Eyeball, WTF), and Anderson Valley, Bear Republic, Russian River (PtE), Sierra Nevada helped lead the way in early craft beer and are now doing special series such as Beer Camp, and I feel 21st amendment is leading the way with top american craft beer in cans (when you live in Idaho and float the river where only cans are allowed- it is nice to have some good options that were not available 5-10 years ago).

Speaking of PtE- I only had it once on a trip to Sacramento (before I knew how popular the beer was), anyway a co-worker got me a few of them and I just opened a freshly brewed one tonight. My wife loves craft beer- although not necessarily hoppy beers. I poured her one and she tasted it, frowned, and said it tasted like Donkey Sweat. Thought that was kinda funny... I am enjoying the beer.

14. MichPaul

I truly didn't want this to become a Hot Head post. With only a few months of experience on this board, and not even a year in Craft Beer, I'm still kinda figuring out what posts will get me run out of town... ;)
    Living in Michigan, I LOVE the beer here, and had been stuck in Founders land for a good portion of my first year in the Craft. Now I'm beginning to branch out, and enjoying every min of it!

15. ehammond1

ehammond1 Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2008

Alesmith Speedway Stout - Vanilla & Coconut

[​IMG]

16. Bootleggers Knuckle Sandwich
    Bruery BT/2 Turtle Doves/Saison Rue
    FW Double Jack/Abacus/Parabola
    Pliny the Elder
    Lagunitas A Little Sumpin' Wild
    BP Sculpin/V@S
    BR Racer 5
    Drake's 2010 Jolly Rodger/Denogginizer

17. Alpine - Expo, Pure Hoppiness, Nelson
    Bruery - Black Tuesday, Mother Funker, Choco Rain
    Ballast Point - Sculpin, Sour Wench

18. quirkzoo

quirkzoo Initiate (0) Colorado Jul 7, 2011

That looks beautiful.

19. LSUPT

LSUPT Initiate (0) California Feb 3, 2011

Alpine Bad Boy and Kern River 5th Anniversary. Hangar 24 Barrel Roll #2 was the best non hoppy beer, for me at least, but my top 20 hoppy beers are occupied almost exclusively Cali breweries.

20. Bad Boy
    PtY & PtE
    Citra and 5th Anniversary
    Poorman's DIPA
    Drake's Hop Salad
    Abyss
    Parabola
    Beatification
    Consecration

21. hosehead83

hosehead83 Savant (425) Ohio Nov 19, 2008

Anything from Stone, Bear Republic

22. DCRA

DCRA Aficionado (160) California Dec 14, 2011

Nelson
    Expo
    Citra
    Pliny
    Pure Hoppiness
    Supplication

OTB likes this.
  23. Russian River sours, Many choices from Stone, Abacus, Rayon Vert, Several from Bruery.

24. Srsly

Srsly Aficionado (215) California Mar 21, 2010

I live in California, and have for my entire beer drinking life, so this is very similar to asking for my favorite beers. But:

Citra
    Ps the E and Y
    FW Parabola & Anniversaries
    Chocolate Rain
    Compunction
    Expo
    Surf Brewery South Swell

25. waiting for this one to heat up <popping pop corn as we speak lol>. meantime i was trying to think, but as some already said there's just way too many likes. maybe a better title would have been: "which CA beers don't you like."

p.s. i think the Abyss mention above was misplaced.

26. Don't tell me that you had this recently.

27. ehammond1

No, sir. I had it at O'Brien's for the Million Zillion Speedway night. It's during San Diego Beer Week and you absolutely must attend. Chris Johnson, Cory, and Craig all came down specifically for it, and it still ranks as one of my all-time favorite nights of beer drinking.

28. Oh I know the story. I was just worried I may have missed out on something recent.

29. ehammond1

We don't let you miss a thing, Slugger.

UCLABrewN84 likes this.
  30. danscott

danscott Savant (335) California Jul 15, 2006

My favorite California breweries include Cigar City, Founders and Cambridge BrewCo.

31. It Just Doesnt Matter!

terrapinfan88 likes this.
  32. Alpine IPAs.

OTB likes this.
  33. Hey look everybody! We found a smartass! :D

MichPaul likes this.
  34. nogidrew86

nogidrew86 Savant (250) Nevada Aug 16, 2010

My favorite CA beer is 3 month old Pliny!

35. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Alpine Bad Boy. Surpasses PtE, PtY, Nelson, Expo, and any other awesome IPA I have had.

36. MichPaul

Thank you all for all the wonderful suggestions! I truly hope to make it out west either this Summer or later this year. I can dream at least... I hope to make it happen!

37. Bobheed

Bobheed Savant (355) Texas Dec 27, 2010

all of the above

38. Hop Rod Rye.... An often overlooked gem!

39. raynmoon

raynmoon Advocate (550) California Aug 13, 2011

Haha, you bastard.

California, in my opinion makes the best IPAs out there. Or at least the west coast IPA style seems to be a staple in my fridge.

40. terrapinfan88

terrapinfan88 Savant (300) Virginia Nov 15, 2009

Ruthless Rye, Dark Seas from Mission, Rayon Vert, Autumn Maple,Union Jack, everything stone makes is pretty good, Pallet Wrecker. I've had PtE and Sculpin I still personally prefer Union Jack/Double Jack. but Supplication I think has to be the best beer I've had from the left coast. That beer Amazes me! I have some of their other sours and even if I don't care for them as much I'm sure I'll thoroughly enjoy the experience none the less.