1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Best Canned Beer

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Alextricity, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Schmuck82

Schmuck82 Initiate (0) Texas Nov 13, 2008

Ten Fidy obviously. Some from my lovely Texas would include: Karabach rodeo clown, Karabach hopadillo and Southern Star Pine belt pale ale.

2. To those who chose Heady, was it only because you haven't had Abrasive yet?
    Not sayin,just sayin
    Wait a minute, I've had both - and I definitely am sayin!

GFG likes this.
  3. Deviant Dales, Furious, Heady Topper, Furious, and Heady Topper.

Modus Hoperandi was pretty solid too.

4. Kudos to Oskar Blues! Ten Fidy is mentioned on just about everyone's lists.

5. Ten Fidy, Abrasive, Heady Topper, Daisy Cutter....just to name a few.

6. Abrasive doesn't hold a candle to Heady, don't be crazy

shan8454 and vonnegut21 like this.
  7. I agree with the legions that say heady topper. As far as what's available in my area, I'd have to say ten-fidy. I also like coconut porter. That's a good canned beer.

8. My experience with cans is limited, and I can't seem to get one of the brands that I want to try the most (21st Amendment), so take this for what you will:

Tallgrass (already mentioned) makes some really good canned beers. I'm partial to the Halcyon Unfiltered Wheat and the Velvet Rooster Belgian Tripel. 8-Bit Pale Ale isn't too bad either.

Avery is also a brewery that does fairly extensive canning--most of their regular beers come in can format. I'm partial to the White Rascal Witbier but the IPA is also good. Their Ellie's Brown Ale is good too, but I'm not a huge fan of brown ales.

Oh, and if you like witbiers, Wittekerke also puts theirs in 11.2 oz cans.

9. JTDay

JTDay Aficionado (125) Georgia Jan 28, 2013

Westbrook IPA is a killer canned beer IMO.

10. Half Acre Daisy Cutter: There's really no competition to me.

11. RayB3

RayB3 Aspirant (30) Jan 28, 2013

-You need to ckeck out Brewery Vivant out of K-zoo for sure. Not only is it a cool place (in a converted funeral home) but they make a buch of great stuff. They can their distributed stuff which you can find around.

http://www.breweryvivant.com/

Enjoy...rb

12. MichPaul

MichPaul Advocate (710) Michigan Jan 28, 2012

Best canned beer I have had is Heady by a land slide. Second would have to be 3 year aged Ten Fidy and third, Furious. I will have to say that Michigan, for now, is truly lacking in good canned craft. But fear not, Michigan BA! Oscar Blues is not far away! :) They are supposed to hit Michigan in the not too distant future... Have you tried any Brewery Vivant offerings? I don't care for a lot of their stuff since I'm not big on Belgians, but some people love it. Here is probably my favorite by them, but it may be out of rotation by now: Zaison
    Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention Avery IPA. They do have that in cans in Michigan and it's a solid IPA. Not really World Class, but still a solid brew and worth a buy.

13. Since I've seen lots of Oskar Blues posted I'm gonna go with Evil Twin Istedgade Hipster Ale

kwa357 likes this.
  14. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Savant (435) Texas Nov 21, 2008

This always strikes me as a silly question. The container isn't relevent to the taste of the beer. Just ignore the container. You might as well be asking "whats the best beer with a green label?" Who cares?

15. MichPaul

MichPaul Advocate (710) Michigan Jan 28, 2012

There is a certain feeling to it man! Come on! Don't you even have favorite glassware for a particular style???
    My FIS definitely taste better from my CBS glass than my run of the mill glassware from Meijer... :p

16. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Savant (435) Texas Nov 21, 2008

I don't think I would choose a beer simply because it comes in a can unless I was specifically avoiding glass bottle restrictions (like at the beach).

17. I don't think anyone suggested that the reason to buy in cans was about taste specifically. The original question was merely "I'm going to get some cans, what are some good ones?".

Reasons for buying in cans, besides some kind of restriction like going to a beach or park are that they are easier to schlep around (lighter than bottles), they seem to maintain their temperature longer than bottles, and the fact that cans are easier to recycle than bottles. Plus, if you play in any kind of rec league (softball, kickball), you'll most likely be encouraged to use cans or even restricted from using bottles, and like most of the people on BA, I just can't drink your standard macro canned beer.

There are plenty of reasons to seek out cans, although I would tend to agree that limiting yourself to only cans is going to mean you're missing out on some really great beers. For example, I'm unaware of any ability to age beer in it's selling container in cans like you can with bottles.

Andygirl likes this.
  18. jrbchef

jrbchef Savant (265) Connecticut Feb 24, 2011

As I have not had Heady yet, I would have to say Gandhi-Bot

slim2043 likes this.
  19. There is Nothing I've had like Heady Topper! Period

20. ucfalum08

ucfalum08 Aficionado (180) Florida Jan 20, 2013

I haven't had many and usually use cans for tailgating but my answer is easily Cigar City Jai Alai

21. ScottieD

ScottieD Savant (430) Connecticut Jul 30, 2011

NEBCO Gandhi-Bot
    Sixpoint Resin
    Sixpoint Bengali Tiger

22. BeastLU

BeastLU Advocate (540) Virginia Dec 20, 2012

Just saw a dales in a "royal" pint (19oz) which looks the size of a 24 oz can of natty ice. Totally badass.

23. kojevergas

kojevergas Champion (915) Texas Aug 15, 2010

Definitely Heady Topper. I imagine Sculpin will make this list soon.

I also like Anderson Valley Oatmeal Stout.

24. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (405) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

668 Neighbor of the beast is probably the best American made Belgian Golden Ale I've ever had. If you can I'd try to get that and some Gandhi-bot. Actually scratch that anything NEBCO idk the distro but I know I have to trade for it so likely you will too.

25. jasoncheb

jasoncheb Aficionado (190) Virginia Nov 23, 2012

Ten Fidy and Heady Topper

26. mellowmark

mellowmark Savant (465) Minnesota Mar 31, 2010

Just go into your local craft beer store and looked for canned beers. Chances are if the store is worth its salt you will find any good canned offerings that are available in your area.

LambicPentameter likes this.
  27. Cvescalante

Cvescalante Savant (400) Texas Dec 24, 2012

Sixpoint Resin and Ten Fidy are the best I've tried. I love Maui Coconut Porter though too

28. [​IMG]

These two, with most batches of Topper getting an edge in overall virtue.

lonewolfcry likes this.
  29. 1. Heady
    2. Sculpin (as soon as their released)
    3 Ten Fidy

30. LieutenantDan

LieutenantDan Disciple (50) Texas Nov 18, 2012

The best canned beer ive had was frankziskaner heff at six flags over texas. Ive never been able to find it since then. First and only heff in a can ive ever had. Anybody know of any other good heffs in a can?

31. slim2043

slim2043 Savant (395) Connecticut Jul 23, 2012

Best I have had

NEBCO Gandhi Bot (DIPA)
    CC Jai Alai (IPA)
    SIXPOINT 3Beans (PORTER)
    OB TenFidy (STOUT) *not up to par w other wc imperial stouts I can get but damn good just the same

32. I know I'm in the minority but I don't think Surly Abrasive is as good as its reputation. Heady is the best beer experience for hopheads period. Word to your mutha.

33. Surly Furius and Dales Deviant Ale

34. The bigger minority you belong to is people who like Deviant Dales.

35. So..........what are you sayin? Heady vs Abrasive? Heady hands down..........
    Not even close........Nobody on this site who has had both would agree with that.

36. Yeah, it wasn't even close IMO - Abrasive was that much better!

37. Lansman

Lansman Savant (400) Illinois Mar 19, 2011

Half Acre Galactic Double Daisy Cutter, as seen here at Bonnaroo 2012.

[​IMG]

38. Heady Topper, of course.
    Sixpoint's Resin is super tasty.
    Has anyone had the 3Bean by sixpoint yet? I still have yet to pick myself up some.