1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Best coffee beer you've had lately

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by inchrisin, Jan 18, 2013.

1. inchrisin

inchrisin Savant (435) Indiana Sep 25, 2008

I've been curious about coffee beers for a while now. I've only had a few from local microbreweries and would like to try more. Any suggestions for good commercial coffee beers?
  2. Drew26

Drew26 Savant (330) Wisconsin Nov 2, 2012

I'll try to be the first to suggest Founders Breakfast Stout. Another good one is Tyranena Devil Made Me Do It, though that is actually classified as a Porter...
  3. Though not commercially available, I recently really enjoyed Coffee Eclipse!
  4. Wake n Bake
    FBS
    Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout
  5. inchrisin

inchrisin Savant (435) Indiana Sep 25, 2008

I never limited you to a stout :)
  6. Lately: Wollavers Alta Gracia Porter

In General: Berkshire Coffeehouse Porter, Harpoons 100 barrel series Coffee brew.

FBS is one of my top beers everl, but I'd consider it a "beer with coffee" not a "coffee beer". If ya know what I'm sayin.
  7. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

8. jtg5678

jtg5678 Savant (260) Illinois Nov 27, 2012

Big Hugs, Peche Mortel, Schlafly Coffee Stout
  9. HF Twilight of the Idols is pretty damn awesome.
  10. MammaGoose

MammaGoose Aficionado (210) Wyoming Jan 10, 2013

My small local brewery here in Sheridan, WY (Black Tooth Brewery) had a winter seasonal java porter. I thought it was, in a word, awesome. Chocolatey, coffee-y, robust, and very balanced. I swear that you could have mixed some ice and cream in it and it could have passed as a Starbucks drink (not that I would ever disgrace it in such a manner!). But it was still very true to the porter style. I was heartbroken when they ran out of it last week.
    YogiBeer likes this.
  11. Beer Geek Breakfast although I don't know how available it is.
  12. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

Just had a BP victory at sea. Yum
  13. GraniteSkunk

GraniteSkunk Savant (375) Illinois Apr 17, 2007

14. huysmans

huysmans Savant (330) New Jersey Dec 5, 2007

Really looking forward to trying the coffee porter from Kane called Morning Bell, made with Rook coffee. Going on tap locally very soon.
    morganmcd likes this.
  15. miketd

miketd Advocate (510) Ohio Mar 2, 2006

Kopi Luwak Dark Apparition.
  16. joeseppy

joeseppy Savant (285) Illinois Oct 20, 2012

Yeah what he said ^^^...BCBCS
    lazz131 likes this.
  17. I just finished off a 2012 BCBCS, and I would have to say Peche Mortel. *Edit: And I love the shit outta BCBCS.
    jglowe77 likes this.
  18. None, I like my coffee in the morning sans alcohol. One of my least favorite flavors in beer.
    TheDoctor likes this.
  19. A yearly treat:

[​IMG]
    BostonLoggas, HKUSPC40 and black13 like this.
  20. OP...based on your location, seek out Founder's Breakfast Stout. It is a fine example that should make you happy. It is a seasonal, but is still available.
  21. Schlafly Coffee Stout, pretty damn good IMO.
    djsmith1174 and KansasBeerLover like this.
  22. SeaOfShells

SeaOfShells Savant (350) California Feb 22, 2011

My favorite will probably always be Ballast Point Victory at Sea.
  23. wiscokid920

wiscokid920 Savant (420) Maryland Apr 27, 2011

As mentioned, BCBCS and Founder's Breakfast Stouts are phenomenal, but if your looking for a great Coffee Stout that is often off people's radar...get your hands on New Glarus Coffee Stout I highly recommend it!
    ValleyOfTheSuds likes this.
  24. Siggy125

Siggy125 Savant (470) California Nov 10, 2006

Epic Big Bad Baptist. The most coffee forward beer I've ever had. I had it last night on tap for the first time and I think I enjoyed it more than the bottle. Got a tad of bitter chocolate as it warmed. Would like to see a ba version of it some day.

As for fave of all time....ba Speedway. Hands down
  25. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (370) New York Jul 16, 2011

man I love speedway stout (my usual "go to" beer)... and mikeller beer geek breakfast, fbs, and bcbcs....

also love joe mama's milk stout.... have several packs in my stash "in case of emergency"
  26. Unequivocally Tyranena Devil Made Me Do It and Surly Coffee Bender. Between the two, they are by far the most unadulterated coffee flavored beers I've ever had. Understandably so with the distribution of Tyranena, but frankly I'm surprised to be the first to say Surly.
    BrownAleMale and bwiechmann like this.
  27. ChefBergo

ChefBergo Initiate (0) Illinois Nov 9, 2011

Best I've had ever would be by Back Forty Brewing in Alabama "Coffee Stout" when I asked why they didn't bottle it and sell it as liquid gold he replied that the bottles would explode because of residual sugar so it would be on tap only....crazy
  28. RedHook Double Black is VERY good.
    mychalg9 likes this.
  29. MattSweatshirt

MattSweatshirt Advocate (645) Texas Jun 29, 2011

30. DaKur

DaKur Savant (400) Rhode Island Nov 15, 2012

Troegs Java Head
    mskiddo, utopiajane and ESeab like this.
  31. walterfredo

walterfredo Savant (260) California Nov 22, 2011

Midnight sun brewtality
  32. PHKrames

PHKrames Aficionado (215) Illinois Sep 14, 2011

Pipeworks Coffee Break Abduction. Very nice.
  33. Kerrie

Kerrie Savant (485) Michigan Aug 24, 2012

Atwater's Vanilla Java Porter... if they distribute in your area.
    MichiBrew likes this.
  34. MichiBrew

MichiBrew Aficionado (170) Michigan Nov 26, 2010

Had some phresh Terrapin Wake N Bake last month thanks to my buddy Marc...had a wonderfully strong coffee bean bite to it...fantastic...obviously the coffee is MUCH more pronounced with FBS and BCCBS when fresh as well...these three take the (coffee) cake for me...
    BMitch likes this.
  35. Coffee bender... Yum
  36. Spaceloaf

Spaceloaf Aficionado (215) Oregon Nov 27, 2008

Cascade's Oblique Coffee Blonde is probably the most interesting coffee beer I've had in a while. It's the only non-stout/porter beer I've seen mentioned here. The less assertive backbone of the blonde ale allows the coffee flavor to come through in a very different way.

Unfortunately it's not available in bottles (and it's not even on tap at the brewery right now). But it inspired me to try brewing my own sometime soon.
  37. Flying Dog's Kujo Imperial Coffee Stout! Holy freaking crap that stuff's good.
    Shroud0fdoom, dc4three and BMitch like this.
  38. bosshop

bosshop Aficionado (120) New York Sep 13, 2012

This was going to be my reply...we JUST got this in Upstate NY (along with other BP beers), but this one really, really stood out for me.

Drinking my 3rd bottle of the week right now. Stellar.
    dianimal and AverageWhiteGuy like this.
  39. Best coffee beer i've had recently is the same best coffee beer i've had in the past - fresh Berkshire Brewing Coffeehouse Porter. the best. Founders Breakfast Stout is also fantastic.