1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Best coffee beer you've had lately

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by inchrisin, Jan 18, 2013.

1. brewtus

brewtus Savant (355) Ohio Dec 29, 2012

Sometimes I take a sip of coffee in the morning and it reminds me of founders breakfast stout.... I'm proud to say that's true

2. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

Ive been seeing it on the shelf of literally every shop within 25 miles of me for 2 months here in southern NJ. Finally picked it up and it will now be a constant in my fridge.

3. njhopspop

njhopspop Savant (335) New Jersey Oct 17, 2010

4. Kerrie

Kerrie Savant (485) Michigan Aug 24, 2012

Sorry for posting again so soon, but someone mentioned Lagunita's Cappuccino Stout and I happened to have that in my fridge. Just poured myself a glass and damn, it's fantastic! Seconding that one. This is also my first Lagunita's brew. Won't be my last!

TastyIsBeer likes this.
  5. scud

scud Savant (335) Indiana Sep 22, 2010

'12 BCBCS
    '12 WNB

6. Its Delicious. By far their best beer IMO. Keg kicked in 3 days at my bar.

7. Wolavers coffee porter, wake n bake are both great coffee forward brews that you have to try if you are serious about drinking a beer with coffee.

8. inchrisin

inchrisin Savant (445) Indiana Sep 25, 2008

That's the one I can think of that I HAVE had. It's great, but I take it for granted like Gumballhead. I want somehing else. :)

9. dsal89

dsal89 Advocate (505) Indiana Jul 6, 2008

Not sure if it was mentioned yet as i skimmed this thread fairly quickly but i would have to mention the perkulator coffee doppelbock from Dark Horse. I thought it was unique and very tasty

10. jasoncheb

jasoncheb Aficionado (190) Virginia Nov 23, 2012

Beer Geek Breakfast and even Beer Hop Breakfast. Cafe Royale is also really high on the list.

jglowe77 likes this.
  11. I noticed that someone mentioned Big Bad Baptist on tap. I had it via bomber a few months ago, and I immediately went back the following day to purchase a case. It is extremely coffee-forward and, though it's rated very highly on this site, I still think it is underrated - one of the best beers I've ever consumed.

12. nogophers

nogophers Savant (295) Minnesota Jun 28, 2011

Morning Wood by Big Wood Brewery (MN)

Otis32 and WYVYRN527 like this.
  13. Dominion Morning Glory

Schlafly Coffee Stout <---most coffee flavor i've had in a beer. not the roasted black coffee flavor you get in many stouts, more like coffee icecream flavour.

picked up some black coffee notes in Smuttynose Robust Porter aswell.

14. There's a great thread going on from last week about French pressing coffee with beer. Sorry, I'm too lazy to link.

15. KISSFR33K

KISSFR33K Aficionado (190) Michigan Sep 15, 2012

Atwater Brewery Vanilla Java Porter

16. Espresso Oak Aged Yeti

jglowe77, denver10, curtind1 and 2 others like this.
  17. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

Concur

18. I'm a sucker for local, and I really dig Evolution Rise Up stout.

curtind1 likes this.
  19. marcgo2

marcgo2 Aficionado (235) Illinois Nov 16, 2010

Had my first alesmith speedway stout, it was excellent.

jglowe77 and curtind1 like this.
  20. AC-Mivsek

AC-Mivsek Savant (250) Ohio Nov 14, 2012

Coffee brew are one of my top three favorite types of beer.
    I'm thinking of beers which should be readily available in most all locations...

Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout- I saw it has already been mentioned, but it is is very good, and reasonably priced. Which is nice. And made with local coffee.

Bell's Java Stout- One of the best I've had. Bell's usually does not disappoint and this is another example of finely crafted brew with a stern coffee presence.

Rogue Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout- STRONG coffee presence which to me stands out the most even though this is an oatmeal stout. Delicious brew.

Great Divide Espresso Oak Aged Imperial Stout- If you can't find the espresso version the original yeti should suffice. But definitely go for the espresso if available.

Founder's Breakfast Stout- It has been recommended by a few people already, but that is because it is just that good.

HeelsandEers and denver10 like this.
  21. Michigan

Michigan Initiate (0) Michigan Oct 24, 2012

FBS

Short's Cup of Joe ain't half bad either! Usually Short's is hit or miss with me, but this was solid

22. Best coffee beers ive had are fresh BCBS Coffee and Speedway stout. IMHO, Speedway is the best non barrel aged stout, hands down.

23. To Ol Goliat. Extremely delicious.

freeride, curtind1 and ChicagoNick like this.
  24. Coffee Bender is excellent, and another one I really enjoy is Great River Redband Coffee Stout.

BottleCaps80 and ackeeper like this.
  25. lokieman

lokieman Savant (475) Oklahoma Jan 20, 2011

[​IMG]
    and....​
    [​IMG]

26. afrokaze

afrokaze Advocate (620) California Jun 12, 2009

Just got back from a Ballast point event at the bar I work at... the taste of Victory at Sea is still in my mouth... so damn good!

27. urwithdave

urwithdave Savant (255) Florida May 25, 2008

Moat Water is delicious! Kicking myself in the ass for not buying more of it!

cyrushire likes this.
  28. cyrushire

cyrushire Advocate (655) Florida May 25, 2012

cubano espresso brown ale from ccb. its a seasonal but should be hitting distribution in the very near future.

29. cyrushire

cyrushire Advocate (655) Florida May 25, 2012

I bought 7 and will buy every last one I run across in the future if I can... I kick myself in the ass for not buying more too. It is hands down the very best beer I have ever had.

30. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Savant (435) California Dec 21, 2011

Beachwood TOVARISH!

31. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

3 amazing coffee beers had recently:

Impossible for you to get: Rushing Duck Planet Bean
    Hard for you to get: BCBCS
    You really oughta get: FBS

curtind1 likes this.
  32. Just got this in a trade about a week ago! Can't wait to try it!

IMSPEAKNOENGLISH likes this.
  33. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (710) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

I haven't seen that around in at least 2 or 3 years but I used to love that beer.

Also, Black Xantus gets my vote.

34. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

Wolavers Alta Gracia Coffee Porter. Delicious, and at 5% it makes a great alternative to the typical bellybusters

Beerpharmer likes this.
  35. garuda

garuda Savant (485) Pennsylvania Jan 18, 2010

Wake n Bake.. I forgot how good that beer is.

curtind1 likes this.
  36. codysjb

codysjb Savant (425) Florida Jun 16, 2010

Wake n bake, in fact I perfer it over fbs and many other available coffee stouts. Bcbcs is my number one overall though, what an amazing brew.

jglowe77 and curtind1 like this.
  37. galvetraz

galvetraz Aficionado (115) Texas Sep 7, 2009

I am also a fan of both the Lagunitas and Santa Fe stouts as they are readily available in Texas. I forget about the espresso version of Yeti as it is one I haven't tried but is available here. For a local Texas brew I have to go with Real Ale Coffee Porter. Unfortunately most of the others mentioned in previous posts are not available in Texas.

38. Ravenacht

Ravenacht Advocate (510) Florida Aug 10, 2012

CCB Cubano Espresso
    FBS
    Beer Geek Breakfast
    Cycle Brewing Fast Breaker Stout
    WnBake

curtind1 likes this.
  39. ao125

ao125 Savant (335) Virginia Dec 1, 2010

Cafe Royale from Williamsburg AleWerks
    [​IMG]