1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Best Colorado Beer/Brewery

Discussion in 'US - Mountain' started by Ricelikesbeer, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Savant (370) Colorado Nov 29, 2006

I'd say my favorite beer from my home state would be Tweak from Avery (Mephistophles with coffee). But that's a tough choice with all of the good ones out there.

My favorite brewery would be Avery, they have so much good stuff, and although many or most of their best beers are hard to find, when you get them, they are alll amazing. They've really pushed the envelope in craft brewing over the years.

2. tacosandbeer

tacosandbeer Savant (455) Colorado Sep 24, 2010

Tweak is good! Too bad it's not bottled....yet? ;-)

denver10 likes this.
  3. alexipa

alexipa Savant (445) Colorado Oct 7, 2011

This is too hard, there's too many good ones.

I would have to go with the brewery that dragged me into the craft world- Avery. My favorite beer from Avery would have to be either Reverend, Rumpkin, or Kaiser. It's too hard.

Ricelikesbeer likes this.
  4. hopfacebrew

hopfacebrew Savant (475) Colorado Jul 26, 2011

I am a big fan of Avery. Love the direction they are headed. For me I'd have to go with Odell, though going to school in Fort Collins sways me as I've easily been to Odell's twice as many times as any other brewery so I guess I am a homer. Odell IPA might not be a rarity but honestly it's my go to beer, Colorado or not.

5. gueuzer

gueuzer Savant (270) Colorado Jun 9, 2010

crooked stave. Brett d' or

jIsh, chicano4craft and coreymcafee like this.
  6. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

VERY tough call. I like Dry Dock as much as any other brewery, so I suppose I'd lean in their direction. Bligh's is definitely one of my favorite beers from CO, but I'm not sure it's my absolute favorite.
    My favorite CO beer would probably be a toss up between Legend of the Liquid Brain, Tweak, Bligh's, Chancellor, Brett D'Or (good suggestion from geuzer), Mexican Chocolate Stout, and maybe even just Belgian Yeti.

7. denver10

denver10 Champion (910) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

Odell for me as well and I'd say its a toss up between their IPA and Red.

SalukiAlum and hopfacebrew like this.
  8. Prospero

Prospero Advocate (695) Colorado Jul 27, 2010

Avery, Odell, Dry Dock, Crooked Stave, can't go wrong with any of 'em, Great Divide I might just put in that list too now that they've dropped Raspberry Wheat & Samurai and made Collette year-round, good choice GD.

tylerzombie likes this.
  9. alexipa

Collette is year round now?! Dear lord...

10. Dry Dock & Avery for my money.

11. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Advocate (550) Colorado Dec 19, 2010

#1 Odell #2 tie Avery, Great Divide and Oskar Blues, #5 Dry Dock
    To narrow down to a beer would be tough, but probably Uncle Jacobs Stout, Yeti and Odell IPA

denver10 and hopfacebrew like this.
  12. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Advocate (550) Colorado Dec 19, 2010

Tweak is the shit too!!! Then I'll add Ten Fidy and Super IPA to that list. A number of Odell beers would make my top 20!! (maybe half) Sorry, you only asked for one but what a great beer state we live in!

13. I had 3 beers from Prost on tap at different restaurants over the past few weeks and finally got to the brewery on Monday night. Everything I've had from them has just been truly impressive. The helles, wow. And the doppelbock, wow again. Quickly becoming my new CO favorite.

I also love Dry Dock.

14. The best I've had from CO so far is probably the Yeti's. A close 2nd and 3rd is Mephistopheles and Ten Fidy (and maybe even Dry Dock Vanilla Porter). Tough choice though as there's so many good beers. Think about how bad it'd be to live in an area where there aren't any good local beers. Fellow BAs we are blessed with great beer here!

15. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poobah (1,040) Colorado May 19, 2005

Prosts' Oktoberfest was really damn good. I think it's one of the best beers in the state--even though it may not be my favorite. Hard for Yeti to be knocked off my top shelf.

Brewery? Odell, Avery, Oskar Blues, Great Divide, Dry Dock all have great beers and wide line up. Some smaller breweries cannot compete with the breadth...yet: Crooked Stave, Prost, Funkwerks...

16. Prospero

They never will, their business plans revolve around niches. But they are all excellent and probably the best commercial examples of the styles they are brewing...

17. Ricelikesbeer

I love that 3 as well. I used to consider Reverend as my "homework beer". A bomber of that really helps you study history, I promise. haha. I love going to their taproom in boulder, there's always something you've never tried on tap.

alexipa likes this.
  18. Ricelikesbeer

Odell IPA is probably my favorite IPA, and the one that really got me into hoppy stuff.

hopfacebrew likes this.
  19. Ricelikesbeer

Yeah and I heard the other year round beer will be Nomad, also a good choice IMO.

20. Ricelikesbeer

I don't see a nod yet for the Mountain Sun chain. They are awesome too. I love drydock, Odell, and Great Divide, but Mountain Sun/Southern Sun/Vine St. might be my 2nd.

spoony likes this.
  21. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poobah (1,040) Colorado May 19, 2005

I like the "tiers" of the breweries around here--so that they don't directly compete :)

22. Graviz

Graviz Savant (360) Colorado Feb 26, 2012

I'm surprised Strange hasn't been mentioned yet. One of my favs for sure.

23. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Advocate (735) Colorado Jun 9, 2006

Really? Which Strange beers are good?

dauss and SalukiAlum like this.
  24. Steve_0

Steve_0 Savant (285) Colorado Mar 14, 2012

Kriek. . .

bushmat2 likes this.
  25. Prospero

Tiers, niches, specialties, areas of expertise, it's what makes Colorado the best.

alexipa likes this.
  26. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (475) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

I like Oskar Blues a whole lot. Definitely the CO brewer I think the highest of. I really like Odell, Avery and Great Divide as well, but OB wins. Dales, Deviant Dales, MLYP, Old Chubb, Ten Fidy, G'Knight. All damn good.

27. Domingo

I like Strange's Cherry Bomb Stout and the Kriek is pretty tasty, too. Their gingerbread stout's another good one. In general, their "adjunct" beers tend to be their best.

Several of the smaller spots have all-stars, though. Beers like Green Man, Toaster Bat, Wanderlust, Elevation, etc.

28. denver10

denver10 Champion (910) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

I have only tried 2 Strange beers: a farmhouse that Falling Rock had on tap about 3 or 4 years ago which I really enjoyed and their IPA at Watercourse, which I didn't finish. I liked their Farmhouse enough that I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they just had an issue with the IPA style.

29. Domingo

I *hate* their IPA, too. Based upon memory, it's simcoe heavy. I usually avoid it. For a while Hops and Pie was even sending it through a Randall of more simcoe hops. It was like drinking a swamp. That's been my only really negative experience with their stuff.

EDIT: Scratch that - I didn't like their Belgian IPA either. I think that yeast may have made it worse.

30. alexipa

I could not agree more with this. Every brewery perfects one style it seems; so no stepping on toes, everyone helps each other, all friends, etc. It's amazing.

31. Ricelikesbeer

Yeah I've only had 2 or 3 Strange beers, but I really wasnt' impressed. I had their pumpkin spice porter this year, and thought it was the most overspiced beer I've ever had... Barely palatable. That being said, I wouldn't write them off until I've had most of their stuff.

32. Ricelikesbeer

Yep it's truly a collaberative/ respectful environment. I think many would be surprised to hear how other breweries to step in and help others. I've even learned about several new breweries while visiting Great Divide or whatever. It's all good in CO!

33. kojevergas

kojevergas Champion (915) Texas Aug 15, 2010

Best Colorado brewery is tough. A year ago I would have said Great Divide, but having tried more and more Colorado beer, I'd probably have to go with Odell.

Best beer from Colorado? That's a bit easier. La Folie.

Bitterbill likes this.
  34. spoony

spoony Advocate (580) Colorado Aug 1, 2012

Soooooo much to choose from...

For consistently good beers throughout their lineup, I go with Great Divide. The Mountain Sun family gets a special mention because I think they have some of the best brewery food around (and a lot of hippy love, man).

For my single best beer (this year anyway), my ratings say Deceit from Funkwerks, but the New Belgium/Alpine Super IPA is close behind.

35. My favorites from CO this year were Prost's Dunkel, Pikes Peak's Summit House BA Stout, Phantom Canyon's Winston Smith BA Barleywine, Crooked Stave's Batch 1 and Dry Dock's Bligh's. Recently, I enjoyed Our Mutual Friend's Winter Warmer.

Prost, Crooked Stave and Phantom were my favorite breweries this year.

36. AC Golden's Kriek did not mess around neither.

Domingo likes this.
  37. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

I had a 2006 meph in October when I went to GABF. EPIC!

38. jIsh

jIsh Aficionado (195) Colorado Jun 6, 2010

Best Brewery: Crooked Stave
    Best Beer: La Folie (C&C vintages)

39. ArrogantB

Really? I had it once and its not anything close to a real kriek.

40. ArrogantB

Sounds crazy but I think New Belgium is the best brewery based on their blended sour ales (La Folie, Eric's Ale, Le Terroir, Tart Lychee, Kick). That Alpine collaboration was also probably the best double IPA produced in CO (Hop Vivant might be better).

For best beer I'd nominate this year's batch of Bligh's, Le Terroir, or Mountain Sun Hop Vivant.

Steve_0 likes this.