1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Best Colorado Beer/Brewery

Discussion in 'US - Mountain' started by Ricelikesbeer, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Prospero

Prospero Member

I don't think any Le Terroir was made this year...

While I enjoy NB's Le Terroir & La Folie (both incredible), the fact that Odell's Saboteur, Friek, Deconstruction and Meddler were ALL pretty awesome make's me vote Odell, and honorable mention to Shenanigans.
    SalukiAlum likes this.
  2. ucsbmullet

ucsbmullet Member

Don't know what a normal Kriek should taste like, but the AC Golden version tasted good. Funky barnyard nose and a nice tart bite on the tongue. I got their BA stout and can't wait to try. Notice not much mention about them on the forums (not considered craft?).

Forgot to mention Avery's Uncle Jacobs. That was a solid booze-bomb.
  3. FarmerTed

FarmerTed Member

This is a tough one for me; there's not CO brewery that I really love. Avery just doesn't do it for me. My favorite beer from there is probably Joe's Pilsner. I guess I fall in with the Great Divide/Dry Dock/Odells grouping, and agree that Mountain Sun is a really good brew-pub. Man, I love their date night burger. There's just so damn many breweries in CO that I find it a hell of a lot easier to just get some Firestone-Walker whenever I'm at the liquor store.
  4. alexipa

alexipa Member

I'm surprised to see all the mention of Mountain Sun. The food is pretty good for the price but man they make some very poor beers. Some are very drinkable and pretty good, but a lot are not.
    tylerzombie and SalukiAlum like this.
  5. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Member

^^^I agree Alex and especially in a thread named 'best Colorado breweries' really?
  6. Steve_0

Steve_0 Member

I am definitely with you here with Funkwerks and Crooked Stave in a tie for a close second. I don't only admire the beer New Belgium puts out, but I really appreciate the way they conduct themselves as a company and their friendly, whimsical vibe. I just love everything about that company for some reason and have probably visited that place more than any other brewery in the state and every time I go to Fort Collins I make it a point to stop by.

My two favorite beers in the state are NB's Love-Felix and Crooked Stave's Persica, with Super IPA, Maharaja, Le Terroir, and G'Knight all right there as well. As far as the strange kriek, I also agree with you, it is not a true kriek, at all, but it is still an awesome fruit beer and super easy to drink. I don't care what they name it, it is a damn good beer that I could drink everyday.
    coreymcafee likes this.
  7. Domingo

Domingo Member

Funny to read through this and think "oooh - yeah, I like that one, too." Too many good beers, too little time. One to try for the German fans would be the Tivoli beer from Prost. I actually prefer it to the pils, although that's my style preference anyway.

Back to the Strange Kriek (hopefully this won't be a hijack) - I don't think it's trying to be Cantillon or even Boon for that matter, but it's heading more in the direction of New Glarus or Kasteel Rouge. Very fruit heavy with only mild tartness. Maybe "Belgian inspired fruit beer" would be a better description.

I have nothing but good things to say about New Belgium these days...although I do wish we'd see Eric's and Terroir back. Small complaint for a huge brewery I think is really headed in the right direction.

Persica is something special. That one and Brett D'or...oh man. CS has some scary good stuff going on.
  8. drumrboy22

drumrboy22 Member

It's so hard to pick just one. We really have some amazing breweries. I'd say Avery has become my favorite over the past few years, especially since they kicked off their barrel-aged program. A few years ago, the sour scene was lacking here and I credit Avery with their small batch releases and Sour Fest for greatly expanding the style throughout the state.

As for beers, Persica was easily my favorite beer from the past year. Such an amazing beer.

While the Strange Kriek is clearly not a traditional kriek, it's still a delicious beer. I've talked to them before about this beer and they've got some Wisconsin roots. I know they're New Glarus fans and think this is their take on a sweet fruit beer. I'm glad they locked up more cherries after the bad harvest in order to keep brewing this one.
    Domingo likes this.
  9. Prospero

Prospero Member

In regards to brewpubs and Mountain Sun discussion.... Bull & Bush >>> Mountain Sun. Although I have to say I go to Vine St. like all the time because I can walk to it. :)
  10. DenverBeerDrinker

DenverBeerDrinker Member

I'm near there also and find myself there quite a bit.
  11. Domingo

Domingo Member

I love Mountain Sun (and the VSP)...but yeah, the Bull & Bush is pretty much the king of the hill for brewpubs.
    For food, I'd call them fairly even as those Mountain Sun fries are full-on amazing and you can pretty much always count on their daily specials to kick ass.
    On the beer front, it's hard to argue with the B&B's specialty items like Liquid Brain, Royal Oil, Release the Hounds, Yule Fuel, etc. plus their ESB is actually one of the most awarded individual beers in the world. Seriously - look it up. I don't think there are too many pubs anywhere that can match them.
    I frequent both of them pretty often and I usually go for different reasons. After I leave the B&B I'm ready for a nap. After I leave the VSP I tend to feel like doing something active. Lighter beers and lighter food.
    All that said, can any other pub compete with Stout Month?
  12. Prospero

Prospero Member

Indeed sir, indeed.

Sad I missed the homebrew entry date by a week or so, bad planning on my part, I thought I had more time.
    Mebuzzard likes this.
  13. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Member

See, that's the problem with living in CO, too many great beers. Right now espresso oak yeti is my favorite CO beer, but with all the honorable mentions it really depends on my mood. Ask me again in the spring, it'll change. As for breweries, Crooked Stave. No matter what they put out, I find myself dying to try it. Even if it's not a phenom (WWBB, I'm looking at you) it's still interesting and enjoyable. Out of all their beers, I can't say that I didn't like one that I've had. There is NO other CO brewery I can say that about right now.
    Honorable mention for brewery, New Belgium. I used to hate on fat tire and trash them with everyone else. LoF really changed my mind about them. I'm still not a fan of Fat Tire, but I'm sold on them being a solid brewery now.
  14. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Member

Hop Vivant is pretty damn good. Dammit, now I'm thinking about it :confused:
  15. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Member

Maharaja just came out. Seems a bit early to me, but then again premature is a common phrase with me
  16. MileHighShooter

MileHighShooter Member

large brewer - Ska, fav beer Euphoria

smaller scale.....Prost. but fav small scale beer would be odell st. lupulin or frieke.

niche/specialty - Crooked Stave. best niche beer though i give to uncle jacobs. barrel aged and adjunct ingredients to me are specialty
  17. sir-knifes-alot

sir-knifes-alot Member

Crooked Stave, BY FAR for me. Sours are my favorite style and everything they do (yes, there is the rare exception...I'm looking at you Saison) is out of this world, especially their latest stuff. I'd say Sentience is my favorite beer of the year

My favorite non-niche brewery has got to be Odell. They have solid year rounders, some mighty fine seasonals (Mountain Standard of instance), and a pretty nice sour program...I love Friek.
    tacosandbeer likes this.
  18. gklover1

gklover1 Member

Favorite brewery? Ouch. Has to be a tie. Avery is tops as they have the most of beers I enjoy that they release (Samael's, Uncle Jacobs, Rumpkin, etc...) and they work so hard to produce SOOOOO much of this good beer that everyone can have it.

But how can I exclude Dry Dock? Right in my neighborhood, and DIPA, Bligh's, etc.

But how can I exclude Crooked Stave? I spend more time there than anywhere else, and probably the most renowned brewer of our time after Jean?

But best beer is so easy. Although I didn't get any this year (don't know if it was ever served this year), there is no better beer (equal, but not better) that I have ever had than Royal Oil. I wonder if (like many in the last 2 years) it is built up in my memory, since I have not had it for so long.
    Mebuzzard likes this.
  19. Graviz

Graviz Member

Not sure I've had the beer Royal Oil, but I did used to get down to some Mighty Mighty Bosstones. :D
  20. gklover1

gklover1 Member

It is a Bull and Bush brew. Usually reserved for serving only a couple of special events a year. Maybe GABF and their anniversary or something like that. I think the last time I had it was on their 40th anniversary. Oh baby, am I currently salivating.
  21. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Member

From a Wyoming perspective: Odell. I don't get Great Divide, Crooked Stave, Dry Dock, etc, etc, etc. We get some Avery,(more would be better eg Mephistopheles The Beast), Breckenridge, Boulder, New Belgium, Oskar Blues, and New Planet. One state away and all we get is a trickle.:(
  22. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Member

What are your thoughts on Black Tooth? Had some of their beers at the Steinley Cup this summer and enjoyed them!
  23. denver10

denver10 Member

Living in Fort Collins and we don't get Dry Dock either, which sucks. Haven't seen any of the latest Crooked Stave (375 ml) bottles yet either.
  24. guyforget

guyforget Member

the beer i drink the most of is ska modus hoperandi

i go out of my way for odell, avery, crooked stave releases. and their regular lineups are super solid. new belgium gets honorable mention for la folie, le terroir, super ipa collab... dry dock would be up there if theyd start experimenting w. sours.
  25. Domingo

Domingo Member

Dry Dock has made some sours. Their most recent one, the Ambassador, was on tap for a few weeks around GABF. Their Apricot Sour is a favorite they put out a couple times per year. They've got a ton of barrels, they're just not bottling anything from most of 'em at the moment.
  26. denver10

denver10 Member

Dry Dock needs to put their Espresso Milk Stout in six packs. That is one of the very if few beers that would get to make a trip down to Denver just to pick up beer.
  27. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Member

Speaking of....anybody know which beers will be in 6ers? Should be soon
  28. tylerzombie

tylerzombie Member

Hefeweizen
    ESB.. er Amber
    Apricot Blonde
    Hop Abomination
  29. HRCam

HRCam Member

+1 on that Bull & Bush ESB. Love that beer.
  30. drumrboy22

drumrboy22 Member

I did a 2-part article on the blog i write about Dry Dock. They've got a 63-bbl foeder at their new facility which they'll be using to expand their sour experiments. They have plans to eventually bottle and possibly even work on some collaborative brews. Details and pics here:
    http://brewtallyinsane.com/2012/11/...a-beer-at-dry-dock-brewing-part-2-the-future/

Domingo mentioned "The Ambassador" which came out a few months ago. That beer was insanely good. The Apricot Sour they put out is no joke either. Hopefully with the expansion, we'll be seeing more of these projects.
  31. guyforget

guyforget Member

i've read your article, maybe more than once. im a fan, and im excited for dry dock and cant wait to see canned 6'ers. i just dont make it to the pub often, if at all. its a bit off my beaten path and i carry a 60 hour work week tues-sat, family, etc. so most of my excessive drinking happens at home.
  32. drumrboy22

drumrboy22 Member

I hear ya. Hopefully with the new place, they'll be bottling more of the bigger beers in the near future. Thanks for reading. If you ever make it over to the brewery, give me a shout.
  33. Knownfactor

Knownfactor Member

I strongly disagree. Saboteur was young and even older batches Brett never shined, deconstruction is Chad from CS recipe and the first batch was way better then the last, this years freak is extremely young, waterly and one dimintional, meddler was decent but kind of a mess.

I don't like their barrel program other then bourbon barrel stout they rush everything out the door well before its ready.
    tacosandbeer likes this.
  34. Knownfactor

Knownfactor Member

Best new/old/future brewery for me is Crooked Stave. Persica was by far my fav beer of the year coming out of Colorado and their blending projects and releases this year have been top notch. Amazing what a little bit of time does for microflora/barrel colonies.
    tacosandbeer and drumrboy22 like this.
  35. Prospero

Prospero Member

That's interesting, you're the first I've come across that has that strong of an opinion. Although now that you mention it, this year's Friek was a bit watery compared to last years. I have a bunch of people who are new to beer and almost all of them love Friek, Deconstruction, & Meddler, particularly Meddler and that's surprising for new people to like sour beers as much as they've all liked these 3 beers. Honestly I am a huge Oud Bruin fan and I've had a ton of Oud Bruins and I have to say had I not known it was Odell I would swear it very close to a Belgian. Although Avery's Oud Floris takes the prize on the most interesting, best flavor combinations and best barrel 'smithing' :)
  36. Domingo

Domingo Member

Personally, I enjoyed the first batch of Saboteur much more that the recent one, although I think that batch took a little time to mature. The first time I had it (At a Wynkoop event a few months before the bottle release), it had a rough finish that went away by the time the bottles hit. The most recent batch was a booze monster to me. The beer got lost behind the barrel. Meddler reminded me more of the old Saboteur. I see that one languishing on the shelves at the moment, but it really is tasty.
    While Crooked Stave might be cranking out pure liquid gold right now, I'd say their early stuff wasn't ready either...
  37. denver10

denver10 Member

I am going to to lose all credibility with this comment, but I actually found this most recent batch of Saboteur to be my favorite of the barrel aged Odell beers I have tried. I get the comments about a lack of Brett being noticeable, and I only tried bottles of it around 6 months or so post release so I didn't find the alcohol presence to be offensive, but I just found it to be a very enjoyable barrel aged (imperial) brown ale. Was it as complex as, say, Deconstruction? No. But I did think it stood out in the world of Brown's.

I tried the original batch of Saboteur last year at Star Bar and thought it was more complex but I just didn't quite enjoy it as much, subjectively.

I think I might need to give The Meddler a second shot. I was a little underwhelmed by it when I initially tried it (the day of its release and a second time a week later) but maybe it has done well with some time. But I agree 110% with Prospero that Oud Floris takes the prize for me for a barrel aged Oud Bruin....I loved that beer and loved it even more when I tried it again a month or so ago.

I never tried the initial Deconstruction Ale, but I highly enjoyed this year's version. I also really liked Shenanigans when I tried it on tap (bottle was offensively oaky) and their most recent Woodcut #6 was great, albeit overpriced.

I was underwhelmed by this years Friek too.
  38. PalatePilot

PalatePilot Member

Zach Turner and Joe Mohrfeld came up with Deconstruction. Zach Turner wanted to make a beer using the same principles Jacques Derrida used with english.
    I will agree that the 2010 Deconstruction was better than this last batch though.
    I got to have a long talk with Zach at the original release party of Deconstruction in 2010....
  39. bfields4

bfields4 Member

Wits End.. BOom
  40. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Member

So Wits End is your favorite Colorado Brewery?