1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Best Colorado Beer/Brewery

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by DubbelTrubbel, Jan 9, 2013.

1. I haven't tried much beer from Colorado. What are the best (bottled) Colorado breweries/beers?

2. Avery dictatorship series
    Osker Blues ten fidy and deviant dales and G'knight and Gubna
    Tommy knocker Butthead and maple nut brown

3. Great Divide Yeti and Hercules

4. mrcraft

mrcraft Advocate (725) California Dec 15, 2012

I like Oskar Blues and Great Divide, though there are other quality brewers in Colorado.

dianimal likes this.
  5. alk3kenny

alk3kenny Savant (360) Georgia Oct 21, 2004

Oskar Blues, Avery, and like Ska too not very known on the East Coast but had some great beers from them on a trip to Charlotte

6. Odell, Odell and Odell.

7. poopinmybutt

poopinmybutt Savant (280) Nebraska May 25, 2005

all of them

Blueribbon666 likes this.
  8. Crooked Stave deserves a shout-out here since Odell was already mentioned

9. Crooked stave makes great yet approachable barrel aged sours
    Dry Dock, Bligh's might be one of the best beers in CO and the IIPA is great
    Funkwerks, nice sessionable saisons
    Odell's sticks pretty much every style they try
    Great Divide, BA Old Ruffian and non-infected BA Yeti are unreal, regular beers are impressive too

10. I am a big fan of Great Divide and Oskar Blues

creepinjeeper and dianimal like this.
  11. Crooked stave

dianimal likes this.
  12. In all honesty, though, I really enjoy Odell, Great Divide, Oskar Blues, and Avery.

denver10 and nogophers like this.
  13. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

Avery, the demon series.

icetrauma likes this.
  14. alexipa

alexipa Savant (420) Colorado Oct 7, 2011

Avery, Crooked Stave, Odell, Funkwerks, Dry Dock, Oskar Blues, Left Hand, Great Divide, Ska are the highlights for bottled/canned beers in Colorado. Then there's the hundreds of great breweries that don't distribute...

denver10, dianimal and Prospero like this.
  15. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (495) Texas Sep 7, 2004

Love me some Avery and Great Divide.

16. Not hyped, but rather long term consistency, I gotta go with Yeti.

17. avery, the new belgium lips of faith series, oskar blues, and great divide.

18. I like Great Divide the best. Yeti and Old Ruffian are great stouts and barleywines, with multiple solid variants.

19. i like these
    SKA
    Odells
    Oshar Blues

denver10 likes this.
  20. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (870) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

Odell Myrcenary and Mountain Standard.

21. My vote is also for Great Divide, specifically:
    • Hibernation Ale
    • Yeti
    • Hercules
    • Old Ruffian
    Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti is friggin incredible and my absolute favorite by them but I have never seen it in bottles.

22. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (645) Florida Jul 15, 2011

it's fairly easy to find in bottles, actually.

jglowe77 likes this.
  23. It's bottled and always on the shelf.

24. Best brewery in CO is great divide. Consistency from top to bottom, but the top has some amazing brews. Yeti's are legit
    A-

jglowe77 likes this.
  25. Prospero

Prospero Advocate (675) Colorado Jul 27, 2010

Avery, Odell, Crooked Stave, Great Divide, Funkwerks & Dry Dock, pretty much everything all of these breweries do are liquid gold. Ska, Upslope, New Belgium, Oskar Blues are good as well.

denver10 and alexipa like this.
  26. adkieffer

adkieffer Savant (320) Washington Nov 23, 2010

Flying into denver on Saturday night and can't wait to visit all of these great places and more.

Crooked Stave and Dry Dock are my 2 current Favorite breweries.

Headed down to C. Springs Sunday and am stoked to get to visit Trinity Brewing! Could be a new favorite.

27. Moose90

Moose90 Savant (430) Colorado Nov 25, 2012

Odell – IPA, 90 Schilling, Mercenary
    Avery – IPA, Mephistopheles, Maharaja
    Oskar Blues – Gubna, Ten Fidy
    Great Divide – Yeti (all it's variants)

Really really great beer state, I love living here. I wouldn't take time to visit New Belgium, there are better people making beer in here.

28. Moose90

Moose90 Savant (430) Colorado Nov 25, 2012

Also anyone visiting Denver, hit up the Cheeky Monk, always has killer beers on tap, Micro's and Belgians, decent food too.

29. The best part is drafts are half price during lunch (I think 11am-3pm) at the Cheeky Monk.

Moose90 likes this.
  30. adkieffer

adkieffer Savant (320) Washington Nov 23, 2010

^ DONE!!

31. My new favorite CO brewery is Prost Brewing - check it out if you like lagers. They have started distributing growlers to local liquor stores, but go to the brewery if possible. I bought a growler and wasn't as impressed as the draft options. They also distribute kegs to a lot of local bars/restaurants.

Also, Dry Dock is definitely a favorite, and Renegade has some great offerings.

LotsofLupulin and Ricelikesbeer like this.
  32. Sam_Frank

Sam_Frank Initiate (0) California Nov 29, 2012

Great Divide for me too

Curious if any of you Coloradians have been to the Ourayle House (Mr. Grumpy Pants Brewing) in Ouray? went there on a trip last year. The guy makes some excellent beer. The guy, as in, it's only one guy. Doesn't bottle it. But has a cool bar / brewery.

Absolute must stop for any beer lover in the area

33. denver10

denver10 Champion (900) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

Odell and Funkwerks are my 1 and 2, respectively.

That said, if I had the opportunity to try more stuff from Dry Dock I am 110% sure they be right up there too. Their IIPA is great, as is their Espresso Milk Stout, just tried their Amber last night and it was really good for the style. I just haven't had the opportunity to drink their offerings as frequently as I have others, so my opinions aren't as strong as they probably could/should be.

34. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Savant (350) Colorado Nov 29, 2006

I'd go with Avery (their barrel aged and limited release stuff is some of the best out there) The Vine st./Mountain Sun/Southern Sun chain, and Odell would be my favorites. We have a few like Funkwerks and Great Divide which also brew some incredible stuff.

Dtapeski likes this.
  35. Ricelikesbeer

I love all of those too! I was really impressed with Prost when I visited for the first time a few weeks ago! Love that O-fest!

36. Dtapeski

Dtapeski Aficionado (195) Colorado Oct 26, 2012

Huge fan of Great Divide and Odell's. Also will mention Upslope since no one else has. They're smaller, not sure of their distribution footprint outside of CO, but they make very good beers.
    Also making great beers, but not bottled (many breweries in CO fall into this category) is Mountain Sun. Two locations in Boulder and one in Denver (Vine Street Pub).

37. Ricelikesbeer

I love Yeti a ton, but beyond that, I'm not blown away by anything they do. I hate a few of them even. (DPA, Belgiqa, Raspberry wheat) But I do really enjoy them overall. I'm just saying I wouldn't consider them the best all around in CO.

38. Dtapeski

Dtapeski Aficionado (195) Colorado Oct 26, 2012

You'll be happy to know Belgica and Raspberry Wheat were discontinued than.

Ricelikesbeer likes this.
  39. Pinnerjo

Pinnerjo Zealot (80) Jan 6, 2013

Left Hand Brewering Company makes good beer. I highly suggest there Milk Stout!

Blueribbon666 and denver10 like this.