1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Best Colorado Beer/Brewery

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by DubbelTrubbel, Jan 9, 2013.

1. As a Boulder resident I gotta go with Avery but as for breweries not mentioned as often I would say Crooked Stave and Prost.
  2. russpowell

russpowell Poobah (1,040) Oklahoma May 24, 2005

No love for Bristol in CO Springs? They musyt.ve gone south since I lived there. Give Me Odell, Avery & Great Divide with several others worthy of consideration cited above.
  3. n2185

n2185 Advocate (640) North Carolina Apr 14, 2008

Surprised at how few nods New Belgium is getting here, though I think they suffer some from a similar fate as DFH in that it's cooler to rip on them than to support them. Their regular line-up is solid across the board, their seasonals are all good, they are constantly coming out with new and interesting beers, and their sours are nearly all great. Combine that with some of the best prices in the craft community and you have easily one of my favorite breweries.

The Great Divide Yeti series is all great, but nearly all of their other beers are pretty meh. I've yet to have a beer from Avery that I'd call good, let alone great. Oskar Blues has some good beers, but their special releases are pretty damn pricey and they don't do many unique brews. I like what I've had from O'Dell, but I've not had enough from them to call them the best since they don't distribute near me.
  4. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (620) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

Colorado is a great state for brew. Some of my favs not including one offs and draft onlys:

Oskar Blues (TenFidy, Dale's Pale Ale, Deviant Dale's, Gubna)
    Ska (Modus Hoperandi, Decadent)
    Upslope (Brown Ale, Pale Ale, IPA)
    Odell (Myrcenary, Mountain Standard, Pond Hopper, Cutthroat, 5 Barrel)
    Great Divide (anything with the word "Yeti" in it, DPA, Fresh Hop, Hercules, Hibernation)
    Avery (Out of Bounds, The Czar, Mephistophele's, Ellie's Brown, duganA)
    Bristol (Laughing Lab)
    Left Hand (Milk Stout, Smoke Jumper, Wake Up Dead)
    New Belgium (too many to list here)
  5. ODell/SKA...try em all

My favs: IPA/Porter
  6. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (620) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

I had my bro-in-law bring me 12 Bristol Laughing Labs at Thanksgiving. I was craving it for over a year.
  7. Did a loop through CO and a little into Utah late last summer.

Odells was very good, my favorite in Fort Collins.

A surprise was Elevation in Poncha Springs. New and every thing was WOW good. Have a 750 of the Apis Quad to drink someday.

Crazy Mountain had very well crafted beers, don't know if they bottle or can.

Prost was outstanding. After the 3rd Pils I said to the wife, this is pretty good stuff. :) The Dunkel was also good stuff.
    schlegelmeister and herrburgess like this.
  8. Dtapeski

Dtapeski Aficionado (185) Colorado Oct 26, 2012

I don't think there is New Belgium ripping as much as they are considered like the category of Boston Beer. They're obvious and everyone in the country that drinks craft is already familiar.
  9. Next time that I am on the Million Dollar Highway travelling to Durango or Montrose, I will stop by.
  10. Dry Dock Hefeweizen is quite good.
  11. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Savant (350) Colorado Nov 29, 2006

Yep, and Hades as well right? From what I understand they are making Colette and Nomad year-round offerings. I find that to be awesome news, as I really like both beers. I live two blocks from GD, so it's pretty easy to get fresh pours of all of these! you can't beat the freshness of espresso yeti when they have it on tap!
  12. Ricelikesbeer

I highly unlike this post. haha. Not a big fan of Left hand. I always give them more chances for some reason though. Recently I bought their oak aged imperial stout- Wake up dead (oak aged). It was pure lighter fluid with some astringent oaky flavors that reminded me of sucking on pine tar. Not good.
  13. Ricelikesbeer

I honestly havent' had a dry dock beer that wasnt' at least "good". :) But they make some awesome ones as well! The hef has gotten a lot of great press.
  14. Ricelikesbeer

Probably not in PA it isn't. But yes, it's widely available around Colorado in bombers, and quite a few places will have it on tap around Denver. The mellow mushroom has 3 dollar pours of it on happy hour. It's an awesome deal!
  15. just go buy a lot of G'Knight
    ImJ2x likes this.
  16. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

Tough to choose, but I'd go with Dry Dock, Odell, Crooked Stave, Prost, Funkwerks, and the Bull & Bush.
    My favorite changes daily and I think they're all putting out a bunch of all-star beers.

For best individual beer, that's also a tough call...but I have a few that I really like: Bull & Bush Legend of the Liquid Brain, Prost Doppelbock, Dry Dock's Bligh's, and Crooked Stave Persica.
    Ricelikesbeer likes this.
  17. Just wanted to say NOT Breckenridge.

Enjoy
  18. Avery beers especially taproom releases, anything by great divide, ska is always producing consistent brews and as a sour fan crooked stave. Lips of Faith series by New Belgium.
  19. they can, and I usually love everything they make. and if you're ever looking for a beer that can be described as a 'chamomile bomb,' look no further than lava lake wit.
  20. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Savant (480) Colorado Dec 19, 2010

Odell, Great Divide, Avery and Oskar Blues are my top 4. With tons of other great breweries right behind them! (Dry Dock, Prost, Renegade, etc.)
  21. Sam_Frank

Sam_Frank Initiate (0) California Nov 29, 2012

another West Colorado one: not "best" but definitely honorable mention is Telluride Brewing. did a trip (and brewery tour) around Western Colorado last year. they were definitely a stand out (aside from Ska). their Bridal Veil Rye Pale Ale is awesome. very crisp and hoppy. they have a cool tasting room and the dudes working there are cool

here's my lady enjoying a pint

[​IMG]
  22. I had that on the sample tray. A well crafted wit. I now know what chamomile tastes like, and you are right, it was a chamomile bomb.
  23. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Savant (480) Colorado Dec 19, 2010

Yeti series is great, agreeable. Have you ever had Uncle Jacobs Stout or Tweak from Avery?
  24. alexipa

alexipa Savant (410) Colorado Oct 7, 2011

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of Twisted Pine and am at their tap room literally every week... but their beer is very average. Northstar is the best of what they make and it's great, but that's probably their only great beer.

The tap room, food, and company are unrivaled however.
  25. n2185

n2185 Advocate (640) North Carolina Apr 14, 2008

I've not had those two. NC has a 15% abv cap, so that prevents us from getting some of their beers. They have a nice variety of beers, but I've just not been impressed enough by any of them to make an effort to try all of them.
  26. Northstar is the ONLY beer I have had from them and I concur it is amazing indeed
    Errto likes this.
  27. Ricelikesbeer

And NOT Left Hand, Boulder Beer, Twisted Pine, or Strange... all mediocre at best
  28. Ricelikesbeer

yeah twisted pine is.... ok.. I've never been blown away by anything they do. I don't hate them, but I don't love them either.
  29. Ricelikesbeer

What about best Up and coming CO brewery? I've vote Renegade. I enjoy River North too, but Renegade takes the cake for me. Oh, and Prost!
  30. Ricelikesbeer

Both beers blew me away completely. Id say Tweak is one of my very favorite out there.
  31. Ricelikesbeer

Bull and Bush is a good nod. Liquid brain is great, but Royal Oil is like beer God nectar. That beer alone sends me and some of my friends to B&B sometimes.
  32. Left Hand- Milk Stout ( better on Nitro tap)
    Ska- Modus Hoperandi
  33. alexipa

alexipa Savant (410) Colorado Oct 7, 2011

Renegade is up there with Prost, I'd also put Wild Woods up there. They are doing some great stuff.
  34. ImJ2x

ImJ2x Initiate (0) California Jan 3, 2012

Having lived there for 23 years (and just spent 3 weeks there for Xmas), and being an IPA whore, here's my list:
    1. Dry Dock DIPA
    2. Oskar Blues G'Knight
    3. Avery IPA
    4. ODell Myrcenary
    5. Great Divide Fresh Hop

But make no mistake, Colorado isn't on Cali's level for my hopbombs. And the vaunted Maharaja? Can't stand it. Hot syrupy mess.
  35. Dirtinabottle

Dirtinabottle Savant (385) New York Aug 21, 2012

Oaked Yeti amongst my favs
  36. drew7777

drew7777 Aficionado (110) Virginia May 10, 2009

I second Odell.... Myrcenary DIPA, their regular is pretty IPA too.

Definitely Oskar Blues, Deviant Dales in those tallboy cans.

Ska brewery - Ten Pin Porter, Modus Hoperandi
    texasdrugaddict likes this.
  37. hoptualBrew

hoptualBrew Savant (475) Florida May 29, 2011

Great Divide. I like Hoss best of everything in their lineup I think. Damn, I love that beer!
    Errto likes this.
  38. SKA has been on fire with there new seasonal stouts. First the Mole and not the Verreta? Stout. Both have been Super Good.