1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Best Colorado IPA only available in Colorado?

Discussion in 'US - Mountain' started by p90beer, Jan 31, 2013.

1. p90beer

p90beer Member

Whats the Heady Topper or Alpine of Colorado .... double or imperial that you can't buy outside of Colorado? I am heading there in a couple weeks and don't want to "wish I would have"
  2. coreymcafee

coreymcafee Member

Dry Dock Double IPA would be one suggestion. Also, Hop Abomination in cans.

Limited distro on the Odell hoppy beers (IPA, Red, Myrcenary, etc) so you might look for those depending on where you're coming from.
  3. Dtapeski

Dtapeski Member

Hard to know what CO beers you can get in DE, but I second Odell's IPA and would throw in Myrcenary (4pk) which is their IIPA. I would also keep an eye out for Avery Maharaja (22oz) which is also a IIPA. Lastly, Modus Hoperandi from Ska is very good.
    denver10 likes this.
  4. ssteigerwald

ssteigerwald Member

I second Dry Dock Double IPA.
    denver10 likes this.
  5. denver10

denver10 Member

I third Dry Dock IIPA and the Odell recs.
  6. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Member

With a new brewer I'm not sure that they still make it, but Golden City has a Stand Up IPA that's pretty good.
    Backcountry's IPA is old school-style (in that it's not a hop bomb necessarily) that they now call a Pale.
    denver10 likes this.
  7. Domingo

Domingo Member

Funny enough, most of our really goods ones are distributed outside of CO.
    Either of the Dry Dock IPAs (DIPA or Hop Abomination) would definitely apply. I'm pretty sure stores are starting to get Renegade's Elevation tall-boy cans right now. That's another good one.
    Backcountry pale ale was called an IPA up until a couple months ago.
    Not really an IPA, but Funkwerks' Tropic King is a big hoppy saison.
    heyduke and denver10 like this.
  8. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Member

Along those lines, Deceit was hoppy...I thought anyway.
  9. denver10

denver10 Member

I always forget about that Backcountry one, but I really dig that one as well.

It's too bad that Funkwerks didn't bottle their Bastogne, which is currently out on tap, as that is a nice beer and comes with a nice hop kick to it. Definitely far hoppier than Tropic King and Deceit.
  10. guyforget

guyforget Member

dry dock's dipa and hop abomination are the only ones that arent distributed out of state and also worthy of being in the "best in state" discussions.

ska's modus and odell ipa and myrcenary deserve to be in the discussion as well. maharaja when its around and fresh as well. all of these see distro out of state though.
  11. ablackshear

ablackshear Member

They did bottle it, but it was brewery only. It has a generic Funkwerks label with a Bastogne sticker stuck on the front. I have one in my fridge right now
  12. Steve_0

Steve_0 Member

If you just want something that is only CO, then I say Dry Docks DIPA, but if you are looking for the best IPA/DIPAS in CO, then look no further than Maharaja, Myrcenary, G'Knight, and Hercules.
  13. ucsbmullet

ucsbmullet Member

I love Mountain Sun's IPAs.
    heesu and poopinmybutt like this.
  14. Prospero

Prospero Member

There's also Dad & Dude's Dank IPA. Although I think Dry Dock's & Ska's are better. We have a lot of solid IPA's.
  15. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Member

Son of a beehive, I forgot about Hop Vivant. Very nice dIPA. But Feb is stout month, so it might not be on tap for a while(?)
  16. p90beer

p90beer Member

You all are great, thanks for the ongoing suggestions!
  17. Domingo

Domingo Member

This man is 100% correct. Forgot all about them, although they're draft/growler only. They have 5-6 different IPA variants that are all good. Their normal 'ol Illusion Dweller and FYIPA are worth the trek alone.
    If draft counts, I'll toss in 4 that I really like:
    • Man Beer from the Bull & Bush
    • Green Man from Wit's End
    • Hippity Hops from Caution
    • Tunnel of Trees from TRVE
    I'm not sure if they're our "Heady Topper" or anything, but they're damn good.
  18. denver10

denver10 Member

I know they bottled it when it came out last year, end of summerish. But they just brewed a new batch of it and they have yet to offer any bottles of it. I actually just came back from the taproom and there were no bottles available, unless it sold out within a week and a half or something, which seems rather doubtful given how they have never sold out of bottles of their stuff anywhere close to that quickly.
  19. denver10

denver10 Member

I was underwhelmed by Tunnel of Trees, personally. Dug the aroma but flavor wise didn't think it was anything special at all. Thinking of hitting up a show in Denver next Friday and stopping by Trve before hand, so perhaps I will give that one a second shot.
  20. sir-knifes-alot

sir-knifes-alot Member

I had the Dry Dock DIPA last night for the first time, and I got to say...pretty disappointing. Didn't really care for it, very boozey and hardley any hop presence

My favorites are Odell's IPA/Mercenary and Dank...but there are still a lot that I haven't tried
  21. joshclauss

joshclauss Member

I was just having a conversation with some friends last night (while introducing an out-of-towner to Trve and Renegade) about exactly how Colorado doesn't have anything like Heady, Pliny, CC IPA's, HF IPA's, or Alpine made in the state. Don't get me wrong, I love every IPA these guys listed here, but I would say all of them fall under the high bitterness category of IPA, whereas the juicy, high aroma/flavor hop, lower bitterness examples you mentioned aren't really what you're likely to find. Maybe some small batch stuff from newer breweries fits the more current trend in IPA's, but Colorado seems to be all about the classic - pine, resin, bitterbomb heaven. I like that we have access to all different kinds here, though, even if they're not CO only.
  22. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Member

Odell
    denver10 likes this.
  23. ablackshear

ablackshear Member

Yup, that was the one I bought, towards the end of last summer
  24. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Member

Hop Vivant is really the only one that deserves mention. Dry Dock DIPA when fresh can be really good too. Not sure why you guys are mentioning Hop Abomination, that beer sucks.
  25. ssteigerwald

ssteigerwald Member

Exactly. On tap it's awesome, fresh bottles are awesome, not-so-fresh bottles are not so awesome.
  26. bitromp

bitromp Member

Hop Vivant is fantastic. A must have while visiting Mountain Sun.
  27. ablackshear

ablackshear Member

All this time I thought it was good I must have been mistaken, thanks for clearing that up for me
  28. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Member

Ok, sucks was kind of harsh but as far as IPA's go it is lackluster.
  29. robwater

robwater Member

I believe from tap, Dry Dock's tasty IPA is USS Enterprise. Even two weeks later from the growler in the fridge, this shit is tasty!
  30. Domingo

Domingo Member

I kind of like that most places are going more "classical" with their takes on an IPA. I know I'm probably in the minority, but a lot of the recent hoppy beer trends leave me with flavors that range from skunk weed and swamps to onions and tomato sauce. Give me the classics like 90 Minute, Hop Devil, Stone, Blind Pig, etc.
  31. hopfacebrew

hopfacebrew Member

Man I am really loving Hop Abomination right now. I guess to each their own but I think it's damn fine!
    AHouseOnFire likes this.
  32. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Member

I think I'm just biased towards west coast IPA's. if it ain't west coast it ain't shit.
    SalukiAlum likes this.
  33. hopfacebrew

hopfacebrew Member

Fair Enough ;) Cheers!
  34. denver10

denver10 Member

Happily found the six packs of the Dry Docks at Wilburs, first time I have seen anything Dry Dock up here in FC. Grabbed a sixer of the Hop Abomination and pretty stoked to finally get to try it. Love the IIPA so I will see how this one fares.
  35. alexipa

alexipa Member

...How has there been no mention of Mountain Standard? It's only distributed to Colorado (as far as I know), and there's nothing like it that I've found anywhere else. I'd say that's the Heady Topper of Colorado.
  36. Steve_0

Steve_0 Member

Its definitely distributed out of Colorado. . .
  37. alexipa

alexipa Member

Ah, you're right. Looks like it's just hard to find outside of Colorado. Thanks!
  38. schlegelmeister

schlegelmeister Member

Abomination is fantastic.
  39. dachp

dachp Member

Hop Trash from Three Barrel is a great IPA and not many people outside of southwest Colorado knows about it!
  40. denver10

denver10 Member

Drinking the first can of it right now and gotta say, so far, disappointing. We shall see how the rest of the sixer goes. Maybe it will grow on me.
    ArrogantB likes this.