1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Best Dark Mild?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by patto1ro, Nov 3, 2013.

1. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (500) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

Now Tetely's has closed, I'd have to go for Harvey's or Moorhouse's Black Cat. Though the Lancashire Dark Mild from M & S isn't bad.

What's your favourite?

Chaz, tronester and Bitterbill like this.
  2. Belvoir Brewery Dark Horse which is of course a reincarnation of Shippo's Mild.
    Also; Elgoods Black Dog
    Grainstore Rutland Panther
    Welland Valley Mild
    Mighty Oak's Oscar Wilde
    Cotswold Spring's Old Sodbury Mild
    Brewster's Cheval Mort (whenever they are brewing it!)
    and lots, lots more
    I had Tetley's last May-when was it discontinued?

tronester likes this.
  3. I have enjoyed Bateman’s dark mild in the past, but it is like hen's teeth near me.

Chaz and tronester like this.
  4. TheBungyo

TheBungyo Savant (460) Washington Dec 1, 2004

If you ever make it to Seattle I'll buy you a pint of my favorite, only available here:
    Machine House Dark Mild.

rab53, TommyLiam and barleywinefiend like this.
  5. patto1ro

Bateman's is a good one. Tastes like it's darkened with malt rather than caramel. Widh I could get it here.

6. I've not had many, but I was very impressed with Dark Munro

[​IMG]

They do a terrific porter too

Zimbo likes this.
  7. patto1ro

If you're a home brewer, I've some Forest Brown recipes. It was a slightly tweaked version of Whitbread's Best Mild. Given that Best Mild was mostly under 3% ABV, you wouldn't want tio be drinking Ordinary Mild.

8. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,135) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

Black Cat followed kind of closely by Cains. The only 2 I've had from the UK.

9. rab53 and Bitterbill like this.
  10. sirsteve42

sirsteve42 Advocate (545) New York Jan 15, 2009

Wandering star mild at heart. Very underated imo

FinbarrSaunders likes this.
  11. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Bull City Burger and Brewery in Durham NC, brew pub only. A terrific Mild, lots of flavor at 3.7% ABV.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
    kwakwhore likes this.
  12. Givemebeer

Givemebeer Savant (455) Vermont Apr 6, 2013

yards brawler

HRamz3, rfgetz, Jonada and 3 others like this.
  13. I really like Brawler from Yards Brewing Co. in Philadelphia.

Vonstein15 and TongoRad like this.
  14. Do you know, I thought the opposite. To me Bateman’s has a dark sugar taste, whereas a modern dark mild like Black Cat tastes of chocolate malt.

Alex_Mraz likes this.
  15. Oscar Wilde,
    Brewdog Edge (not much chance of that returning unfortunately),
    Partizan Mild,
    SWB- Resistance (not amazing but at least it turns up semi-regularly).

16. Do they still make Tetley's Mild? I thought I saw it in a pub recently, but that could have been a hallucination. Obviously the brewery's gone either way (bloody Carlsberg).

I don't have a lot of experience with mild, but I had a pint of Black Cat yesterday that I enjoyed.

17. Dark milds in the past rarely used dark malts , the colour came from caramel and those lovely brewing sugars.Bateman's has been round long enough for this to be the case.
    Back to Bateman's DM , a year ago a couple of our pubs removed this from sale, it was thin and you could see through it quite easily. Rumour had it that they had cut it to 2.8% for duty reasons, Jonathan Bateman told me this wasn't the case.I understand it's back to how it used to be now.

18. mjtierney2

mjtierney2 Savant (465) Germany Jul 31, 2011

I've only ever had two in my life, but they were both good. One was Brain's Dark Mild (bottled) which tasted a lot like a German Schwarzbier to me. That's not a complaint, mind you, just something I found interesting. The other was Black Country Dark Mild from the cask at The Wellington in Birmingham. I was never actually able to make it out into the Black Country during my Birmingham visit, but that was a nice consolation.

Edit: Black Country's beer was called Pig on the Wall, maybe?

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  19. From the few I have had the opportunity to sample, Notch's Mild on cask in MA (when it was available) and Massachusetts Mild on cask from John Harvard's in Cambridge was also solid. Other than that, whatever I try from the UK during NERAX has been fantastic.

Wish we had more in Boston...:(

tzieser likes this.
  20. cheers

I've never had any Forest Brown to be honest, I just found a forest brown beer mat (I used to collect beer mats for some reason) and though to make an avatar out of it. I understand it wasn't very good?

I do homebrew but have some horridly modern beers to brew first :eek: Although I have enough saaz to do a nice, hoppy, historic scottish ale

21. patto1ro

They still make, just not in the right place. No idea what it tastes like, but I'd be surprised if it matched the original.

Alex_Mraz likes this.
  22. Indeed. I walked past what's left of the brewery yesterday - very sad.

23. bleakies

bleakies Savant (415) Massachusetts Apr 11, 2011

These are all terrible IPAs.

24. No love for Coach House Gunpowder?
    Dark Star do a nice one, too.

Quite like a good mild; wish they were easier for me to find.

25. The Bitter is brewed in Wolverhampton and is the house beer of the Rose and Crown at Hose. The landlord enjoyed it when he was a student in Leeds and regards the version brewed at present to be at least as good.
    http://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/...Interview-Julian-Grocock-SIBA-chief-executive

26. To add to my post, according to Wikipedia the mild is now brewed by Cameron's in Hartlepool.

27. The bitter still tastes pretty good to me. I'm reluctant to buy it because I'm annoyed they closed the brewery, but it's still a convenient session bitter that shows up a lot in Leeds.

Damn, Tetley's was Leeds!

28. azorie

azorie Advocate (725) Florida Mar 18, 2006

What about Highgate they still around?

29. A local nano in Rochester, Roc Brewing, makes a pretty good Dark Mild, in my opinion. I haven't had many of the style so I can't compare it to much else, but I really enjoyed it.

30. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

I don't really have access to the great ones from the UK, but Dry Dock Brewing's S.S. Minnow has 2 GABF Golds.
    It's my favorite, although I have very little to compare it to. The only Black Cat I've ever had was pretty old, and I haven't seen it on my local shelves in years.

31. tzieser

tzieser Initiate (0) Arizona Nov 21, 2006

I think it's fucking pathetic how few dark milds are brewed in the US.

Yards Brawler was my favorite but right now it's Dragoon Stronghold Session, but neither are true english-style milds with an ABV of 4.2% and 4.9% respectively. unfortunately these are the best US brewed options I have come across so far.

AlcahueteJ, russpowell and tronester like this.
  32. tronester

tronester Advocate (635) Oklahoma Nov 25, 2006

I only had one dark mild when I was in the UK and I can't even remember what it was :(

Not to toot my own horn, but I would have to say my own homebrewed at 2.9% ABV http://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/dark-mild-20

I am going to brew it again this week, because there are NONE to be found where I live!

pweis909 likes this.
  33. Though I'm not quite as vehement about it, I agree that breweries should make more of them. NOLA Brown is quite good for low ABV drinking at 3.9%. It's called the "slow down brown" in certain circles.

34. tzieser

tzieser Initiate (0) Arizona Nov 21, 2006

Glad I got my passion across by using the F word hahaha. Thanks for the tip!

35. ndepriest

ndepriest Savant (290) Georgia Feb 21, 2012

I'm not sure of its availability, but Cigar City has a pretty nice dark mild called El Lector.

36. rtrasr

rtrasr Savant (345) Arkansas Feb 16, 2009

How about Banks's Mild and Batham's Mild?

russpowell likes this.
  37. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Savant (420) California Mar 22, 2011

Eagle Rock Solidarity is quite good as is Dry Dock's SS Minnow.

I've been looking for Moorehouse Black Cat for several years now with no luck whatsoever.

38. jmw

jmw Savant (430) North Carolina Feb 4, 2009

Black Cat was a good one when I had it. Adnam's Southwold didn't disappoint. Taylor Ram Tam should be on the same docket.

Can I just say that I am pleasantly surprised that this thread hasn't been relegated to the UK forum due to lack of reliable US input?

39. patto1ro

I love BAtham's Mild. Wish I could get it more regularly.

40. thewrongtone

thewrongtone Savant (405) Texas Oct 15, 2006

cultclassic89 likes this.