1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Best Dark Mild?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by patto1ro, Nov 3, 2013.

1. It was Maclay 60/. Dark Munro now. Have loved Highgate Mild too.
  2. Dope

Dope Advocate (545) Massachusetts Oct 5, 2010

Wish I could find any here in MA. If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear it.

Dope
    BedetheVenerable likes this.
  3. It used to be a frequent guest at the Rose and Crown a few years ago- I used to love it and also their Bitter is outstanding.
  4. Which this style was more common where I live.
    Quite liked Toccalmatto Working Class Mild & Revelation Cat Milk Mild.
    Flibber and Ragnampiza like this.
  5. mrcraft

mrcraft Advocate (595) California Dec 15, 2012

I've only had one example of this style. I would give it a B. Eagle Rock Solidarity.
  6. paymerick

paymerick Zealot (90) Texas Feb 24, 2013

I can only recall having just one representation of this style: Copper Creek Brewing Co's (brewpub) in Athens, GA in June of 2011. One of the most solid, sessionable beers I have ever had (and maybe "the" most). It appears they do not make it anymore.

I need to seek out more of these.
  7. Anaz

Anaz Aficionado (195) California Dec 22, 2009

Eagle Rock Solidarity is a good one if you're in the area, but my favorite American Dark Mild to date was Anchor's Mark's Mild. It is a damn shame that they only brewed it the one time, and I let their reps know that every chance I get. This is one of my favorite styles and I've been tweaking a homebrew recipe that I'm pretty damn happy with.
    ONovoMexicano likes this.
  8. Mallinsons Emley Moor (3.5%) is a fine beer. Superbly Bottle conditioned, with a surprising hop bitterness. It's almost impossible to drink this slowly. It's the best bottled dark mild I've had.
  9. Wand
    Wandering Star in Pittsfield has one and I think People's Pint in Greenfield makes one. Not sure where you are and we New Englanders hate driving.
    Dope likes this.
  10. I'm still waiting for the great cask Mild revival. The fact that it hasn't happened yet must surely be a threat to civilization as we know it.
    Flibber likes this.
  11. I like Timothy Taylor's too.
    rollom and Zimbo like this.
  12. Here's the thing. Think of all the milds you've had and how many have really been poor or disappointing?? Me, I can't think of a single one.
  13. Harnkus

Harnkus Savant (360) New York Oct 31, 2013

As if I even have a choice. I don't. I pick up a case Yards Brawler whenever I pass thru PA
  14. Rudgate dark ruby mild on cask. Great Yorkshire brewer
  15. Wandering Star's Mild at Heart - on tap
    Goose Islands Mild Winter

Both are quite delicious and really hit the spot.
  16. Any of the UK folks ever had this one? Thoughts?
  17. Eagle Rock Brewing Solidarity Dark Mild
  18. I've just had a Thwaites Nutty Black (3.9%). The last one I had was unpleasantly sour...but this one was very nice; an unusual wild strawberry taste, and a fair few hops in there (the label claims it was lightly hopped, it's actually quite highly hopped). A bit fizzy, but this is far superior to the last bottle I had! £1.39 a bottle. I'll buy more! I don't think Yard's Brawler is imported...
  19. Yards Brawler is an excellent dark mild beer. I prefer it on cask but it is also tasty on regular draft and bottles.

In the recent issue of Zymurgy (March/April 2014), Brawler was evaluated by 4 Grand Master+ BJCP judges and it received high scores from all of the judges. They also thought it was an excellent beer.

Cheers!
    Jonada and TongoRad like this.
  20. Dark Munro for me
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  21. I was going to reply with exactly what I replied on page 1. This thread's been going awhile.

And I'll repeat, wish we had more in Boston. Arguably one of my favorite styles, even though I've had so few.
  22. Was just reading that piece in Zymurgy and noticed that one of the judges pointed out it might "do better as an 11c Northern English Brown Ale." Was thus wondering how our UK BAs think it compares to their cask dark mild.
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  23. I think for this type of beer (in the bottle), the level of carbonation is crucial (most definitely there, but soft and gentle). Emley Moor's was perfect...I've never met anyone who has had this one, though. I suspect that American brewers have the ability to make superb milds.
    herrburgess likes this.
  24. Absolutely. I just find that the dark milds I have brewed -- as well as the ones I have consumed in the UK -- are a bit of a hard sell here in the U.S. "craft" scene. Most of the people that tried my 3.2 ABV mild (brewed with English Maris Otter and English Kent Goldings) felt like it needed "more." I said, "If I add more malt, I will no longer have a mild, but a brown ale." Just wondering if for the U.S. market a place like Yards may have experienced the same thing and amped things up a bit. At least one of the reviewers in the current issue of Zymurgy seems to think so; ultimately I guess I'd need to try it fresh to see for myself how it compares to what I drank in the UK. Or e-mail the folks at Yards...
  25. Yes, the quote from one of the four judges concerning Yards Brawler made a statement of “…might do better as an 11c Northern English Brown Ale.” None of the other three judges made statements in that regard. I am by no means a Grand Master+ judge, plus I have had Yards Brawler on cask more so than by bottle, but is tastes like a Dark Mild Ale to me.

Cheers!
  26. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Savant (480) Massachusetts Mar 29, 2007

Notch Cerne Pivo is the best, followed by Harpoon Dark. Saranac Black Forest is also good
  27. GoldenChild

GoldenChild Savant (330) Michigan Nov 18, 2009

My homebrewed 3% dark mild followed by Dry Docks SS Minnow.
    tronester likes this.
  28. Surly Mild and Short's Earl of Brixom.
  29. Yes, I'm sure many American beer drinkers would dismiss milds as being 'thin' and bland ('it didn't wow me'). Many also seem to have trouble with British hops (perhaps not even recognizing this kind of 'hoppiness' as 'hoppiness'). The problem with this type of beer is that there isn't the immediate hit of intense flavour, which many now understand as being an important criterion for a beer to be considered good.
    jmw and rollom like this.
  30. Did you have a chance to try the Pretty Things X Ale 22nd February 1945? I though it was awesome and spot on for the style. 2.8% ABV and packed in some very nice flavor. It was seemingly over shadowed by the English Strong Ale of the same name/different date. Sadly, if the flavors aren't beating you over the head the enjoyment of the beer seems to go down for the majority of the craft community today.
  31. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (500) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

I should have tried it in about an hour or so - I'm just about to set off for Yards. I would have had it yesterday, but it had just run out at the pub I was in.
  32. patto1ro

I had a Notch Cerne Pivo a couple of days ago and it isn't a Dark Mild.
  33. patto1ro

That wasn't an English Strong Ale but an earlier iteration of Mild Ale.
  34. None of these are English Dark Milds. In fact, the only one that is session strength (not that they HAVE to be) is the Notch Cerne Pivo, and that's a lager.
  35. Look forward to hearing your take. Cheers!
  36. Dope

Dope Advocate (545) Massachusetts Oct 5, 2010

Apparently I did, almost exactly 2 years ago. I wonder if it was just a one-off, my review seems to think it was pretty decent and I wouldn't mind trying it again.

FWIW, I rated the stronger version (the 1838 7.4% version) lower than the 2.8% version. Interesting.

Dope
    Rekrule likes this.
  37. michman

michman Savant (265) Illinois Oct 14, 2005

I really wish that this style was more available in the US. anyone with some suggestions around the Chicago area?
  38. Ron, it is a shame that you aren’t visiting later. Yards will be conducting their annual Real Ale Festival on April 6th. (I bought tickets last night). They assemble a nice assortment of cask ales (including several British imports) every year.

I hope you enjoy your visit to the Yards tasting room. The ESA (on cask) is a tasty beer as well.

Cheers!

Jack
  39. You're correct. I just lazily used the BA category.
  40. patto1ro

Fairly close, is my verdict. Yards Brawler to a Dark Mild, I mean. It wasn't a cask version, but in terms of flavour profile, definitely in the neighbourhood.
  41. patto1ro

It really is, especially as today they brewed up the 1933 Whitbread DBA recipe from my book which will be served at the festival.
  42. Yards just doesn't get enough love around here- that sounds like an incredible event.

Philadelphia, ftw!
    ceeg, drtth and JackHorzempa like this.