1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Best Dark Mild?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by patto1ro, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Excellent. Thanks for the report. It is the rare U.S. "craft" brewer that can show such restraint. Happy to hear that their ranks are growing.
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  2. I look forward to drinking the 1933 Whitbread DBA at the April 6th festival.

Cheers!
  3. azorie

azorie Advocate (715) Florida Mar 18, 2006

Well has to be the 1832 Truman XXXX mild, at 10.45ABV. home brewed of course... not seen much mild here, and I am not paying 5 bucks for 1 in Total wine. lol.

from Ron's book of course.
  4. Does Yards stuff ever make it up to NY? Seems like I would like a lot of their offerings, especially Brawler.
  5. ceeg

ceeg Aficionado (135) New York Dec 16, 2010

I never thought of Yards Brawler as a Dark Mild, it's more of a brown to my tases. I love the hell out of it tho!

I like Wandering Star's offering and Barrier from Long Island makes a really nice one called Mollycoddle, I think. Real good if you can find it. They don't always brew it.
  6. socon67

socon67 Advocate (600) New York Jun 18, 2010

I only see Yards in PA and NJ. I find many of their beers enjoyable. Brawler was got me curious about the dark mild category because it is a perfect session beer.
  7. drtth

drtth Champion (830) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

There's a "find our beer" link on their website.
  8. I couldn't stand it any more so drove out to the Belvoir Brewery for a couple of pints of their utterly gorgeous Dark Horse. Amazing for only 3.4% ABV.As it had only moved a few yards to the cellar it was as always in impeccable condition.
    A picture I've used before but what the hell...........and this wasn't sold to me as a pint.I took another inch off the beer and it was topped up.
    [​IMG]
  9. HRamz3

HRamz3 Advocate (630) Pitcairn Feb 9, 2010

It does not. Surprisingly, I rarely see Brawler offered in bars in Philly.
  10. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (500) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

According to the brewer, it's a Dark Mild. I'm not going to argue with him. It's not called that because, well, the name Mild is the kiss of death commercially.
    tronester and ceeg like this.
  11. bluejacket74

bluejacket74 Champion (755) Ohio Jul 4, 2005

I like New Albanian's Community Dark Mild Ale (3.7% ABV). I believe it's brewpub/kegs only, but I'd like for them to bottle it someday.