Best Everyday Beers available in Texas

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by jasonycurtis, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Leaving out special releases, but including any current seasonals, what are the best beers anyone can just walk in to the store and buy right now in the state of Texas?

2. Like literally today? Maybe Rahr Bourbon Barrel Winter Warmer. It's a "special release" but not that hard to find. It's a special version of the regular winter seasonal. The regular Rahr Winter Warmer is great IMO as well. Certainly easy to find, at least in the DFW area. I'm partial to Southern Star Le Mort Vivant. I thought it was a summer release but I saw quite a bit at Total Wine a couple weeks ago.

If you're not just looking at Texas breweries, you should be able to find a few Great Divide Yeti variants -- all tasty. Deschutes Obsidian Stout is liked in my house a lot. Delirium Noel should be out and around now. Depending on where you are in the state you can probably find a lot of great beers from non-Texan brewers.

3. digita7693

digita7693 Advocate (600) Germany Jan 19, 2010

Buried Hatchet

BeerSocrates12 likes this.
  4. HopAG

HopAG Savant (485) Texas Sep 22, 2012

Live Oak Hefe
    St. Arnolds Endeavour

chocosushi and BeerSocrates12 like this.
  5. Heretic42

Heretic42 Savant (475) Texas Aug 31, 2011

Rahr BBWW, Real Ale Coffee Porter, and Brooklyn BCS are current widely available seasonals and among my favorites. St Arnold's Winter Stout should be out soon as well I believe.

My year-round "widely availble" selection tends to vary between some Belgian style (Unibroue La Fin Du Monde/Trois Pistole, St Bernardus, Chimay, Rodenbach, etc), an RIS (Jester King Black Metal, Old Rasputin, Yeti), or one of Stone's brews, depending on my mood. I can typically find Unibroue and Stone at a few nearby grocery stores and the others at any local beer shop.

6. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

Southern Star Buried Hatchet
    Saint Arnold Endeavor
    Live Oak Hefeweizen (keg only)
    Jester King Mad Meg
    Jester King Black Metal
    512 Pecan Porter (keg only)
    Deep Ellum IPA
    Jester King Noble King
    Real Ales Devil's Backbone
    Real Ale Brewers' Cut Black Quad

These are the Texas beers I would recommend

7. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Current (Christmas) Seasonals that are easily found in Austin:
    Real Ale Coffee Porter
    Brooklyn BCS
    Live Oak Primus
    Sam Adams Merry Mischief

Best Year-Rounds:
    Santa Fe Imperial Java Stout
    Live Oak Hefewiezen
    Austin Beerworks Fire Eagle IPA
    (512) IPA
    Deep Ellum IPA
    Great Divide Yeti (I can always find ~2-3 variants on shelves)
    Southern Star Buried Hatchet
    Sixpoint Resin
    Jester King Le Petit Prince/Black Metal
    Sierra Nevada Torpedo (alright, everyone can get this, lol)
    Lagunitas Little Sumpin' Sumpin'
    North Coast Old Rasputin
    Whatever draught-only release Austin Beerworks currently has (Flying Headbutt, Einhorn, Sputnik, etc..)

I could go on and on with Belgians... but those ^^^ guys in DFW that can get Rodenbach year-round are dead lucky. Chimay Red, Rochefort, Orval, St. Bernardus ABT12, Brasserie Dupont and ANYTHING from Brouwerij De Proef stick out in my mind. We're also lucky to get lots of Mikkeller and Beer Here (draft-only) from Denmark, although the selections are random and slow to get here. I also loves me some Canadian Belgians what with La Fin Du Monde being year-round.

8. Texas_Speed

Texas_Speed Savant (325) Texas Aug 22, 2012

You definitely need to check out Karbach: Weisse Versa if you are in the Houston area. That is a seriously delicious beer. Also, Deschutes: Black Butte Porter is a good one that you can find just about anywhere. Everything else I was going to mention has already been stated.

Ford likes this.
  9. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Advocate (500) Nevada Jan 20, 2010

Real Ale Sisyphus & Deschutes Obsidian Stout.