Best Father's Day gifts...

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Applecrew135, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Applecrew135

Applecrew135 Aficionado (180) Pennsylvania Jul 18, 2012 Verified

Aside from the usual, what are the best brewing-related Father's Day gifts you've given / received?

My kids got me a small digital scale for weighing hops and other small amounts, like DME for starters and priming sugar: Digiweigh DW 1000BX. They also got an STC-1000 temp controller for my beer fridge. Totally kicks ass!

:cool:

2. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Advocate (735) Minnesota Feb 6, 2013 Verified

My kid is 18 months, so he didn't really get me anything. However, he was a good boy...and let me brew uninterrupted on Father's Day.

inchrisin likes this.
  3. VikeMan

VikeMan Champion (845) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009 Verified

Uninterrupted? At 18 months, he should be stirring the mash by now.

Beerontwowheels and JohnSnowNW like this.
  4. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator (910) Georgia Feb 12, 2012 Staff Member Verified Subscriber

My boys aren't born yet, close, but not yet, and I think if they had to pick me out a gift, it would have been the new oxygenating set up and new temp controller for my fermentation freezer... very good gifts. ;)

5. Applecrew135

Applecrew135 Aficionado (180) Pennsylvania Jul 18, 2012 Verified

That's awesome! They can be a handful at that age... We took a trip with our 18-month old daughter YEARS ago (she's 20 now...), and one of my not-so-fond memories (really just kidding - it was more comical than anything) of the trip was the approximately 20 minutes my wife and I had to chow down at the hotel restaurant before my daughter got too restless and we had to leave.

JohnSnowNW likes this.
  6. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Savant (400) Virginia Jun 21, 2009

My future child has given me the gift of remaining my future child.

side note: I told my new wife (1 month yesterday) that our next living thing is getting named Simcoe, so she might want to think about a dog first...

7. scurvy311

scurvy311 Savant (465) Louisiana Dec 3, 2005

Father's Day and birthday virtually coincide...2-5gal coolers, turkey fryer/burner (early on), 10 gal cooler, stir plate, Johnson digital temp controller, 5000ml flask, hardware store gift certificates (I regularly use these for tubing and various stainless/copper parts). My family knows that my hobby/obsession is safe for gifts. My wife fishes for ideas on behalf of the family and I drop hints.

8. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (615) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

HLT and Mash Tun... Can't wait to brew Saturday!

9. jlpred55

jlpred55 Savant (305) Iowa Jul 26, 2006

LOL- my son is 20 months old and he handed me a mangled card and said "happy", so I thought that was awesome. Then later in the day, as I was relaxing catching up on some work he threw a ball and knocked my full beer (Czech Pilsner) over all over my laptop! You take the good with the bad. Now the work laptop smells like stale beer.

BTW my son loves cooled first runnings. We sip on a little while the boil is going on.

kjyost likes this.
  10. One year my kids (wife really, of course) got me this apron:
    [​IMG]

She got a kit with permanent fabric paint and had them all put their handprints on it. Very nice.

inchrisin, jlpred55 and jbakajust1 like this.
  11. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Advocate (735) Minnesota Feb 6, 2013 Verified

I haven't thought about giving him a taste of the runnings...might have to do that next time.

12. groovy24

groovy24 Savant (280) Wisconsin Jul 13, 2007 Subscriber

Fitbit

I asked if it worked by just wearing it....no dice