1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Best Firestone Walker Beers

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by wesbray, Jan 26, 2013.

1. For my trip in July, i'll be visiting Firestone Walker. What would you guys recommend I get? Seasonal (summer obviously) or regular lineup.

2. teamwiggum

teamwiggum Advocate (535) Wisconsin Nov 30, 2008

Only ones I've tried are Union Jack and Double Jack.....are they're both freakin' amazing.

DrStiffington likes this.
  3. Generally the Tasting Room/Visitor Center attached to the brewery has multiple beers including some their limited release beers available for growler fills.

I always take home some UDBA since it's growler only.

Grab some Parabola if it's top of July or DDBA if its middle to the end of July.

4. Sucaba is my favorite. Possibly my favorite barley wine ever.

brewbetter, dawatts and Kopfschuss like this.
  5. Double Jack ALL THE WAY!!!

dianimal, FEUO, dawatts and 2 others like this.
  6. Madskill

Madskill Savant (255) California Nov 25, 2012

Wookey Jack!

Sludgeman and JoEBoBpr like this.
  7. JoEBoBpr

JoEBoBpr Champion (760) Missouri Feb 26, 2004

Wookey Jack is good. Parabola is my fave though.

8. Double Jack, Wookie Jack, Union Jack and Sucaba are all very good. I haven't had Parabola but I hear its very good.

9. Well seasonal or regular is the question or which is best? Can't really go wrong with seasonal OR all year. But Sucaba and Parabola take the cake id say.

10. Teleweizen2

Teleweizen2 Savant (405) New Jersey Oct 27, 2009

I've heard they have a hoppy pilsner, if I were going in the summer i would be all over this.

guitarsnbeer likes this.
  11. Sorry is there a point to this hahaha . . . drink them all, they're great; surely one of the most reliable brewers out there.

Sarge3130 and CommanderOfAwesome like this.
  12. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Chad Jan 8, 2012

Matt Brynildson is a savant. Fresh DJ and UJ are about as good as it gets.

IMSPEAKNOENGLISH likes this.
  13. I am not too familiar with their regular offerings, when I was in Cali last August, I was able to pick up both Parabola and DDBA. Parabola is a top 5 barrel aged stout in my book, and the DDBA while not quite on that level, was easily worth the $15 I paid for it. If you can find Sucaba lingering, definitely snag that one. The anniversary beers I've tried have been pretty good, but maybe not worth the $20 or more they fetch.

ESeab likes this.
  14. I've yet to have something from them that I didn't absolutely dig. Try 'em all, I says.

WassailWilly likes this.
  15. I.....A.....Greeeee.

16. hctap00

hctap00 Aficionado (185) Maryland Nov 2, 2012

I've been blown away by Double Jack both times I have had it. Also, Wookey Jack is an incredibly refreshing beer. Wish I have had the chance to try Union Jack, but it is hard to find at all fresh where I am.

17. Parabola, Anniversary, Sucaba, and Double Jack.

dawatts likes this.
  18. chefduff2

chefduff2 Savant (390) Pennsylvania Feb 17, 2008

My wife just had an amazing time there. She was out there for business and unfortunately I was home. She was poured pretty much everything. Sucaba, DDBA, roofus?, Parabola, etc etc. She was kind enough and brought back some to the east coast for me. She had a great time and people were friendly to her. She said the beer is so much better there fresh then back in NY... Maybe someday I will get out there.

19. Skunkdrool

Skunkdrool Savant (485) California Jul 31, 2010

Go to the Buellton Tap Room. Barrelworks just opened and are pouring basically everything rare and its amazing. The regular bar has all the regular lineup, which is also fantastic. I live 15 minutes from the place and am very familiar with all their beers, and recommend setting a few hours aside for this. They serve pretty good food too, so halfway you can grab a bite, and then finish the second half of your tasting. They started doing sours, and they are available in the Barrelworks room as well. The Paso Robles location does not have these available. Go to the Buellton location. Cheers!

20. sil1

sil1 Aficionado (245) California May 19, 2012

Porabola

21. Union Jack might be the most well balanced IPA's across the states. They are really putting out some good beers.

22. Parabola, Union Jack, Sucaba, Wookey then Double J for me.

23. bennetj17

bennetj17 Advocate (635) Arizona Oct 30, 2005

Yes, the Pivo Pils is phenomenal. One of the best I've tried brewed west of the Mississippi. I would recommend also the Porter, the Double Barrel, and the Union Jack. Obviously the big limited releases are all nice, but the beauty of Firestone is how excellent and consitent their regular offerings are.

afrokaze and Smurf2055 like this.
  24. Crackerroll

Crackerroll Savant (295) Missouri Jan 16, 2011

Love Union Jack.

25. Parabole & Wookey Jack. I'd love to say Sucaba, but I've yet to have some

WassailWilly likes this.
  26. I love Velvet Merlin, Solace, Double Jack and the Reserve Porter. Not big on the Pale 31, Union Jack or DBA. Those are the only 7 FW beers I've tried to date.

The rest refuse to go out with me.

27. There you go I've fixed it for you and answered it too.

28. EVERY SINGLE ONE.

Great brewery with no bad beers in their line up. Might be my favorite brewery. FSW anniversary beers if they're around (Might be as I picked up FSW XIV and XVI just this week), DDBA, Wookey Jack, Parabola, Sucaba, etc...

Pelican5 likes this.
  29. Everybody's mentioned all the high abv. and barrel aged beers, standard BeerAdvocate mentality.

Grab yourself a pitcher of Pale 31 and enjoy it, one of the best Pale Ale's out there.

afrokaze likes this.
  30. Dunno what's available when, but Sucaba and Double DBA are both AMAZING English barleywines with 1-1.5 years on 'em...I'd say DBA, as it sounds amazing, but don't get it here yet in MO...the only FW beer I was underwhelmed by was the Porter, and their Double Jack was just 'good' IMO...

31. Lagger

Lagger Disciple (70) California Jan 18, 2013

Going at a good time. Try Unfiltered DBA, Helldorado.

32. hophead247

hophead247 Savant (430) California Jan 27, 2008

Helldorado.

Smurf2055 likes this.
  33. I agree. We were there a few weeks ago (buellton). The Rufus w/Brett is amazing, the DDBA Barrell#66 (DDBA aged 4 years in white oak barrells) is phenomenal. Actually.....don't go there.....so there will be more for me.

34. Beerz

Beerz Aficionado (140) California Mar 6, 2006

Double Jack is quite nice!

35. Best answer - try all of them.

36. Agree completely. I've been to the tasting room. It's worth setting aside some quality time so that you can enjoy their library in an unrushed session. One of my top 5 breweries. They will pour you some things that will blow your socks off! And they are as low key as can be. Make the trip!

37. kona650

kona650 Savant (270) California Jun 12, 2011

[​IMG]
    Was there last September on a VIP tour they blew me away it was awesome!!!!
    Here's a pic of them making some Parabola!!!
    All I have to say is that they treated us like kings!!!
    The next day was a little rough!!! Lol

duobob and muchloveforhops3 like this.
  38. Smurf2055

Smurf2055 Savant (485) Washington Nov 12, 2011

Sticky Monkey?

39. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

Helldorado, Sucaba, pale 31, DJ , UJ, WJ.

40. dawatts

dawatts Savant (315) Massachusetts Dec 27, 2006

If you like barley wine you'll love the Anniversary Ale and the Sucaba. Aside from that Double Jack is a superb DIPA.