1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Best free recipe calculator?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by SenorHops, Apr 1, 2013.

1. SenorHops

SenorHops Member

I've always used Hopville, but since the upgraded their software I've had nothing but problems with bugs. I'm looking for suggestions for the best available, free, recipe building website. Thanks in advance.
  2. kbuzz

kbuzz Member

there's a dude on hbt who wrote a program called brewtarget that I use. It's pretty solid. Don't have a link, but you could probably find one by doing a quick search over on that site..
  3. PortLargo

PortLargo Member

basscram and Grant35 like this.
  4. Tebuken

Tebuken Member

5. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Member

No offense, but if you really want to be accurate and rely on software, why not buy one? It's pretty damn inexpensive to not go through all the junk.
  6. JimSmetana

JimSmetana Member

ibrewmaster is pretty cheap and works great.
  7. Jaysus

Jaysus Member

I have always been a fan of BeerTools.com I use the free version and save PDF copies of my recipes. I have a buddy who uses the pay version, and it is real nice.
  8. clearbrew

clearbrew Member

I like the "Brewers Friend" and the BrewR phone apps. I just prefer the phone apps because I don't bring my computer into the "brainstorm room."
    Grant35 likes this.
  9. Mag00n

Mag00n Member

Hopville still works fine for me
  10. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Member

If I ever start to expect more than what Hopville provides, which is just a basic understanding, then I would probably purchase software. But the I am already pretty dialed in to the additional info that BeerSmith and ProMash would have helped me with to get to this point. I know my system, Hopville simply allows me to build a basic idea of a recipe.

I also use BrewToad on occasion.
  11. BumpkinBrewer

BumpkinBrewer Member

i use Brewzor Pro Beta, but it doesn't look like the guy who created it is suppoting it anymore.
  12. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Member

Like clearbrew I also use Brewr on my android. It works great, and allows for the addition of new hops and fermentables. I'm not sure how the software derives attenuation, that's the only calculation I do myself. Even if you select brett for higher gravity beers it still only plugs in about 75% attenuation.
  13. BILF

BILF Member

Recipator
    mikehartigan likes this.
  14. utahbeerdude

utahbeerdude Member

For those so inclined, developing one's own spreadsheet for one's own system has many advantages. I have done this for my system, with changes as my system has evolved. The sheet started out pretty simple, but now calculates all sort of things including SRM, grain weights (based on percentages and my system efficiency), mash strike temperature, IBU's, OG and FG (based on refractometer readings), etc. An advantage of this approach is that I am familiar with every equation that is being used. No mystery involved (except how to make the perfect beer!).
  15. berebrando

berebrando Member

As utahbeerdude mentioned, I suggest you try and build your own. I did it about a year ago and have made several major improvements to it.

My spreadsheet now estimates and projects my efficiency based on the current batch grist size and previous batch efficiency results. I incorporated the vital water calculations and pH. Strike temperatures, optimized mash thickness to suit my mash tun size and result in the greatest efficiency, and infusion temperatures. The hop additions include the obvious hop IBUs, but also hop wort absorption rates, and even hop oil concentration and percent of hop oil by type of oil. Best thing is, it's dialed into my system so I always end up with 5.5 gallons in each fermenter and 5 gallons bottled/kegged.

Yeah, it's way more advanced than any software. It also summarizes my entire recipe into a single-page print out that is well organized (which is more than I can say for most software output pages)
    PortLargo likes this.
  16. mikehartigan

mikehartigan Member

I stumbled on Recipator a few years ago. It does what I need, so I haven't dabbled with the others.
    While I was studying for the BJCP exam a few years ago, I would routinely do the calculations for gravity, IBU, and color with pencil and paper - mainly to reinforce the concepts and formulae to do these calculations, but also because I didn't feel like going to the computer to do it (this was during my pre-laptop/tablet days). I won a copy of Beersmith a couple years ago in a raffle, but I lost it when my hard drive crashed. I seem to have misplaced the CD and license key, so I haven't reinstalled it yet. Perhaps one of these days...