1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Best Harvest Ale?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Lionhawk, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Although I'd give 1st place to Founders, Ipswich Harvest Ale, especially on cask, was quite exceptional.
  2. There is none. Some brewers put out a seasonal beer in celebration of the this time of year that they'll call a "Harvest" ale/beer. There is no one particular style - some will resemble Octoberfests, some will be fresh/wet hop beers (which seems to be the OP's interest and discussed in another thread), probably there's another "pumpkin" concoction thrown in by some brewer using the term, etc.
  3. zid

zid Savant (355) New York Feb 15, 2010

...and some beers that use the term are ESBs, such as Goose Island's and those pints of Southern Tier you (GreesyFizeek) enjoyed.
  4. utopiajane

utopiajane Champion (860) New York Jun 11, 2013

I just tried southern tier yesterday. I loved it. Flavorful and full, rich but not heavy. I love southern tier for the most part.
    GennyCreamAle and ChipMurray like this.
  5. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

In addition to hop trip, chasin freshies from deschutes is great. Ii am also partial to hoperation ivy from ska brewing.
  6. Another vote for Founders Harvest Ale
    Another vote for FFF Broo Doo
    Another vote for SN's Harvest Ale (either of them).
  7. Slay40

Slay40 Savant (495) Michigan Feb 22, 2013

Shorts Kind Ale is my favorite
    HopHeadHerman and Steimie like this.
  8. Surly Wet is the best that I've had.
  9. Blast away at me but last years Founders Harvest Ale blew 3F Broo Doo away. The previous year I thought BrooDoo was much better than Harvest Ale.
  10. BorisKarloff

BorisKarloff Savant (315) Ohio Apr 29, 2013

J.W. Lees

Wait, what?
  11. sirsteve42

sirsteve42 Advocate (545) New York Jan 15, 2009

Just curious out of all the harvest ales coming out this time of year; what is your favorite?
    Cheers everyone
  12. 1Sundown2C

1Sundown2C Savant (380) New York Jan 13, 2012

Founders Harvest was a sweet way to pass the time during Hurricane Sandy
  13. racer2k

racer2k Savant (330) Massachusetts May 21, 2004

Is Founders Harvest Ale out yet?
  14. Not til sometime in October.
  15. I like Ommegang Scythe and Sickle, Founders and Schlafly Harvest Ale.
  16. I'm really liking Troegs Scratch 111 (HopCyclone Harvest Ale) right now.
    JonB25 and unclebuckpa like this.
  17. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator (620) Georgia Feb 12, 2012 Staff Member

I"ll go with Founders Harvest, and then atleast locally to me, Terrapins "So Fresh and So Green Green". It's a single fresh hop ale they do every year with a different hop each year. Last year was Citra, and it was awesome.
  18. rather

rather Savant (280) California May 31, 2013

only had sn northern, southern and estate harvest so those.
  19. FishAndBeer

FishAndBeer Savant (280) Wisconsin Mar 11, 2011

Founders and FFF are amazing. However, I had southern tiers yesterday that I got out of a pick 6 and I've gotta say, its truly awesome! Probably easier to find and I recommend everyone trying it!
  20. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

After having this years Hoperation Ivy last night I need to emphasize how great this beer is this year. Nice malt backbone with a ton of fruity hops in the aroma and flavor department. Way better than previous batches, I could drink this one all day.
  21. JGLittle

JGLittle Savant (280) Massachusetts Mar 24, 2012

Had Founders last year and it was great. Hoping to get my hands on some Surly Wet this year.

I will have to seek out Southern Tier, seems to be worth finding...
  22. ivorycannon

ivorycannon Savant (415) Indiana Feb 21, 2013

Broo Doo hands down! One of my all time favorite beers.
  23. It's the first of the style that I've tried but I'm really liking Beyond the Pale's Drink Me Now wet hopped harvest ale.
  24. I just had Scythe and Sickle and greatly enjoyed it.
  25. Deschutes Hop Trip is my pick. Incredible stuff.
  26. mrcraft

mrcraft Advocate (595) California Dec 15, 2012

I had a fresh Founders Harvest Ale couple days ago. It's a bit more bitter than I imagined it would be, but I still thought it was a very nice beer. ​
  27. Had Great Divide's Fresh Hop (not Wet Hop) - delicious. Great grassy nose and flavor and very smooth.
  28. cavedave

cavedave Champion (930) New York Mar 12, 2009

I would bet my last dollar if folks in this thread could taste Fremont Cowiche Canyon Organic Fresh Hop that most of the replies in this thread would be for it, and not the choices made.

Simply the finest I have tried, and, were it more widely distributed, likely would be voted one of the top, if not the top, Pale Ale in the country.