1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Best home brew kit?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by madeline25, Dec 12, 2012.

1. madeline25

madeline25 Initiate (15) Dec 12, 2012

I'm trying to decide which home brew kit to get for a craft beer lover in the family, and since he's always talking about his favorites, I figured to get him his very first home brew kit.

Originally, I was going to buy the Mr. Beer brew kit but I read that it was pretty much an easy bake oven and wouldn't get the full experience so I started browsing and reading beer blogs and found two that are in my price range.

So... which of the two is better for a beginner? The Craft a Brew kit or the Brooklyn Brew Shop kit?

2. fauxpunker

fauxpunker Aficionado (165) Nov 23, 2012

Do you mean the kit with all the ingredients, or the kit with all the hardware (fermenter, tubing, racking cane, etc.)?

3. madeline25

madeline25 Initiate (15) Dec 12, 2012

A beginner kit, to understand the process.

That's why I ruled out Mr Beer

4. fauxpunker

Looking at the two, I'd lean towards the Craft a Brew one. Looking at the two, it has a rubber stopper for the jar rather than a screw cap. In terms of sanitizing and cleaning, the stopper is easier to clean (no nooks created by threading). Also, the funnel is a nice addition.

I was going to recommend looking into some of the larger batch stuff that's around the same price, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized that there are usually other things that are needed as well (cookware, bottles, etc). The one gallon stuff should be a good way to get his feet wet. If he likes it, he can always upgrade :)

5. utahbeerdude

utahbeerdude Savant (415) Utah May 2, 2006

Northern Brewer also has a 1 gallon starter kit. It includes 5 options for an included beer kit.

6. HerbMeowing

HerbMeowing Savant (385) Virginia Nov 10, 2010

Brooklyn and Craft kits will net one measly gallon of beer + you have to procure your own bottles and non-resuable caps. The NB kit is more better value...equipment-wise...but still makes one measly gallon.

Mr Beer has vastly improved the quality of their product line in recent months having switched their malt extract provider to Coopers + you brew twice as much beer as the others. There's no need to use MrB recipe products after batch #1 so it's no more an Easy-Bake than the others.

7. Ford

Ford Savant (470) Texas Sep 8, 2012

Anyone get any of these for Christmas?

8. fauxpunker

Nope. Got a new 6 gallon carboy and a banjo burner thought :D

9. DaKur

DaKur Savant (400) Rhode Island Nov 15, 2012

The one gallon kit is great for experimenting. I would rather wast 1 gallon than 6