Dismiss Notice
Save $5 when you subscribe to 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine and select auto-renew.

Subscribe now →
Dismiss Notice
Join Our Email List →

And we'll send you the latest updates and offers from BeerAdvocate, because knowing is half the battle.
Dismiss Notice

Pre-order your Respect Beer "Hipster" Hoodie today!

Plus: Free shipping (US only) on orders of $25 or more until 12/18/15. Just select "Free Shipping" at checkout.

Shop now →

Best Keychain Bottle Opener

Discussion in 'Breweriana' started by JustinH2, Jun 7, 2012.

1. JustinH2

JustinH2 Aficionado (240) Virginia Oct 18, 2009 Verified

Thinking of ordering a Boulevard keychain bottle open, anyone know of any other good ones? I had a dogfish one but it was a little too long and bent easily
    WhiteJordan likes this.
  2. BilbosNuts

BilbosNuts Savant (380) California Feb 22, 2011 Verified

3. Jwale73

Jwale73 Champion (820) Rhode Island Aug 15, 2007 Verified

I have an old Newcastle keyring bottle opener that I got back in 1996 and it is pretty much indestructible. Its been on my keychain for the past 16 years and has developed a really nice tarnished look - it never lets me down. Wish I could find a pic.
    creepinjeeper likes this.
  4. I think I have the same one (also now tarnished): it rocks
    Jwale73 likes this.
  5. Mississipping

Mississipping Savant (410) North Carolina Mar 16, 2010 Verified

I'm pretty sure I have an extra Boulevard keychain bottle opener. I will look for it this weekend and will send it your way if you haven't bought one yet. Will let you know.

The only keychain bottle opener I use now, and will likely use in the future, is the recycled bike chain opener from Founders (Deschutes has one, too, but I like the Founders one better). It's functional, combines two of my passions, and looks really nice.
    cpjtr9559 and wellestone like this.
  6. dpjosuns

dpjosuns Savant (280) Illinois Dec 8, 2009

I rock this (and the oberon one). They're light and sturdy as hell.
  7. KevSal

KevSal Advocate (700) California Oct 17, 2010 Verified

i keep this trusty guy with me, i love it
  8. MaxSpang

MaxSpang Advocate (515) Ohio Jan 28, 2011

I use the chainsaw on my keychain to crack open my beers. Seems to work pretty well for the most part.
    fmccormi likes this.
  9. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

FAIL. Fixed it for you though ;)
    JxExM and MaxSpang like this.
  10. Prospero

Prospero Champion (775) Colorado Jul 27, 2010 Verified

I'm a fan of this style:
    mcaulifww and benart like this.
  11. Jose2412

Jose2412 Savant (250) Michigan Feb 25, 2012

I have the bells two hearted key shaped opener. They even have free shipping if thats the only thing you order.
    TimoP likes this.
  12. I use the Torq, which started out as a KickStarter project but is now a fully operational business. They're carved from solid blocks of stainless steel (which is what I have, pictured below), naval brass or titanium. The higher-end metals are a bit pricey - $250 for a bottle opener is insane - but they're solid as a rock, get the job done and will never break. It is a bit heavy on my key ring, though. But I love it.

WOW how much beer would 250 dollars buy ? Ok ,make it 249 dollars and buy a BIC lighter priceless
  13. JustinH2

JustinH2 Aficionado (240) Virginia Oct 18, 2009 Verified

That'd be awesome let me know! !!
  14. That's what I use and I love it! Can't beat the price tag either...it's something like $0.60.
  15. Dubbercody

Dubbercody Savant (305) Washington Apr 24, 2006

I've been using one of these for a few years. Picked it up at REI or some such.
    Nite Ize S-Biner Ahhh Bottle Opener

As much as I love the fancier ones from Brewery specific places, I find the dual(multi) purpose nature wins out. Plus, Nite Ize makes the best LED lights for my dogs.
  16. clintonpuckett

clintonpuckett Initiate (0) Indiana Apr 29, 2008

For the few of us in the front of the line at Dark Lord Day 2008...
  17. RochesterAaron

RochesterAaron Savant (370) New York May 24, 2007 Verified

Got this with a keg back in college. Been in my pocket daily for roughly 12 years now. I can't even imagine how many thousands of beers it's opened at this point.

18. camil1mj

camil1mj Savant (450) Michigan Oct 4, 2010 Verified

I love the good ole' bev-key. I have gotten quite good at using it to pry off caps without bending or scratching them.
  19. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

Son of a bitch! How close were you?? I was way up there and missed these entirely....
  20. clintonpuckett

clintonpuckett Initiate (0) Indiana Apr 29, 2008

I was first in line. :D
    SaisonFest likes this.
  21. jedwards

jedwards Savant (340) California Feb 3, 2009

Taqtix and FriarTuckInLuck like this.
  22. Jose2412

Jose2412 Savant (250) Michigan Feb 25, 2012

What else does that tool do? I hope it gives HJs for that price.
    CORKSCREWFISH likes this.
  23. jedwards

jedwards Savant (340) California Feb 3, 2009

Hahah, yeah, they're pretty pricey these days. I got mine years ago when you could just buy them off the website.

It's a set of hex wrenches, a prybar (the "main" function), and a cutting edge in addition to the bottle-opening functionality, which is nice, but maybe not worth the current cost (a number of folks are making cheaper knockoffs of his stuff now if you like the style -- Gerber has the Artifact and Shard, and there's PocketToolX and the Titanium Shark, etc).
  24. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

I was in first ~20 at most. Damn.
  25. ravot

ravot Advocate (515) Illinois Mar 20, 2012 Verified

i've been on his site for a year and i still haven't been lucky to buy one. ARGH! they sell out in minutes.

as far as why they are expensive? these are 'homemade' and designed by Atwood. a great tool and also a piece of art. HEAVY DUTY.

imagine the torqbottleopener but usualy about 20 to 30 are made at a time. couple times of year.

is another site doing similar 'gadgets'.
    FriarTuckInLuck likes this.
  26. Dcv

Dcv Savant (260) Michigan Nov 12, 2009

Wow, I had no idea those were so hard to come by, I got mine as an extra in a glass trade.
  27. midworken

midworken Aficionado (215) Nebraska Sep 20, 2009

I want this:
    I'd just drill a hole at the tip, hopefully there wouldn't be any gunpowder remaining in there!
    I used to have a 30mm from an A-10 Warthog, still had live ammunition in the tip... wonder if I've got it laying around somewhere. That would be totally badass bottle opener. Can you imagine whipping that thing out at a party or get-together?
    smutty33 likes this.
  28. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) California Aug 19, 2008

I rock this.
  29. n2185

n2185 Advocate (685) North Carolina Apr 14, 2008 Verified

I've collected quite a few keychain bottle openers, many of which are from my favorite brands or are lovely. I have some nice tulip-shaped ones from New Belgium and Hardywood, the cool Dogfish Head shark, at least a dozen of the generic black ones with the brewery's logo in the middle, and others. Unfortunately, I find most to not be particularly good openers, often requiring two tries to get the cap off. They also bend the cap a lot, and I like to collect caps as well. The DFH one really stinks because its dorsal fin impales your hand when you try to use it. The only one I keep on my keychain now is from one of my least favorite craft breweries, but it's a sturdy and cool-looking opener that can get a cap off with one pry and without bending the cap:

JxExM, Knotsoevol and OtisCampbell like this.
  30. I just have a Sam Adams opener since it was free and it has served me well. Beers at work on Friday and everyone comes running toward me.
    XmnwildX12 likes this.
  31. afrokaze

afrokaze Advocate (665) Arizona Jun 12, 2009 Verified

Did they give it to you after the tour? We all got a bunch and I was actually pretty pleased with it, good solid quality and the logo looks great in raw metal.
    creepinjeeper and KevSal like this.
  32. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,390) Washington Sep 24, 2007 Verified

I have a few of the same basic opener, and ones from Kulshan and Boundary Bay are on my key ring. There is also a pewter opener from Deschutes on there, but just because it looks good.
    smutty33 likes this.
  33. InVinoVeritas

InVinoVeritas Advocate (605) Wisconsin Apr 16, 2012 Verified

I use a credit card opener, like these:

34. VncentLIFE

VncentLIFE Champion (795) North Carolina Feb 16, 2011 Verified

My Great Lakes keychain (looks like the old Ohio scratch off lottery key chain) works great. Gotta hide it from the students at school thought.

I have one of those from Schmaltz on my spare set of keys thats great when Im in the kitchen (where my spare set is) and my keys are in the living room.
  35. wbumgarner

wbumgarner Aficionado (160) Jul 16, 2012

I scored a Sierra Nevada opener laying on the ground in front of a bar last week
  36. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (660) Texas Jun 30, 2010

They actually sent one of these in the mail with a mousepad and a couple pens after I reported a beer that had no carbonation in a 12-pack of SNPA. Didn't ask, I just reported it and it showed up in the mail, I guess as a gesture of good faith. Still use it daily. Surprisingly good at not bending bottle caps for a keychain opener.
    KevSal likes this.
  37. KevSal

KevSal Advocate (700) California Oct 17, 2010 Verified

38. Texas_Speed

Texas_Speed Savant (325) Texas Aug 22, 2012

LaRue Tactical Beverage Entry Tool. It can be used on cans, twist tops, and pop tops. I realize this may be a dead thread but I thought I should post this anyways.
  39. a77cj7

a77cj7 Advocate (580) South Dakota May 7, 2010 Verified

I actually managed to wear one of these out. The aluminum takes a beating after a thousand beers or so. Still an awesome opener, I should get another at some point.