1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Best Michigan-brewed, year-round IPA?

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by tectactoe, Oct 18, 2012.

?

Favorite Michigan-brewed, year-round IPA

1. Arbor Brewing Company's Sacred Cow

2 vote(s)
    0.5%
  2. Bell's Two Hearted Ale

282 vote(s)
    70.9%
  3. Dark Horse's Crooked Tree

19 vote(s)
    4.8%
  4. Founder's Centennial

47 vote(s)
    11.8%
  5. New Holland's Mad Hatter

1 vote(s)
    0.3%
  6. Short's Huma-Lupa-Licious

39 vote(s)
    9.8%
  7. Other - comment and let us know which one!

8 vote(s)
    2.0%
  1. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Advocate (505) Colorado Dec 19, 2010

1. Two Hearted 2. Two Hearted 3. Crooked Tree 4. Huma
    gustogasmic likes this.
  2. Dirty Bastard!!!
  3. Alextricity

Alextricity Advocate (700) Michigan Jun 18, 2012

Two Hearted.

I really enjoy Batch 69 and Crooked Tree as well though. Centennial's good when it's fresh ...
  4. Biffster

Biffster Savant (365) Michigan Mar 29, 2004

It was with a fairly heavy heart that I voted for Two Hearted. I really love crooked tree, centennial, mad hatter and especially - Im so sorry, Joe - Shorts humalupalicious The fact is, Bells is a true classic example of the style. Its so balanced. Perfect hop emphasis with just enough malt backbone to counter with almost no caramel sweetness to distract you. Huma is a VERY close second but is just a little more rough around the edges and less consistent. But Im old enough to remember apologizing for Larry Bells beer by saying it was rough around the edges and inconsistent, so watch out....
  5. hardy008

hardy008 Champion (760) Minnesota Jan 12, 2008

Two Hearted gets my vote.
  6. jaybags

jaybags Savant (255) Michigan Mar 16, 2012

my bad, i was defintely referring to imperial hatter.
  7. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Huma, 2 Hearted, Crooked Tree, Centennial...pretty close competition though.
  8. GRPunk

GRPunk Advocate (575) Michigan Apr 5, 2007

Bell's, Short's, Dark Horse, and Founders are top shelf. Two Hearted got my vote.

New Holland, North Peak, Frankenmuth are solid but a notch below.

Arbor just doesn't do it for me.
  9. Black Forest X-Day (formerly Lost Sailor)
  10. morimech

morimech Advocate (665) Minnesota Nov 6, 2006

Two Hearted all the way. Although I do enjoy Huma on-tap, I find Short's bottles lacking across the board especially Huma-Lupa. Definately not up to Bell's, Founders, New Holland, or Dark Horse's standards.

Maybe in another year or two we in MN will be able to have a poll like this.
    sacrelicio likes this.
  11. daisy cutter
  12. n2185

n2185 Advocate (640) North Carolina Apr 14, 2008

Needs Red's Rye and All Day. Founders Centennial is alright, though nothing special. Their other two easily give Two Hearted a run for its money.
  13. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

Where is Half Acres Michigan brewery? I'd love to visit.
  14. my bad i thought it was midwest thread, so sorry
  15. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Savant (445) Michigan Dec 16, 2011

Two Hearted. If Founders brewed All Day year round, that might've been my top spot or a narrowly close second.
    TheGr8BeerState likes this.
  16. jbck109

jbck109 Savant (295) Michigan May 30, 2010

Two hearted, but Perrin pale is certainly up there, can't believe how good it is for a new brewery! I am very excited to see the beer that comes out of this place. They are not canning/bottling yet, but will be soon.
  17. founder26

founder26 Savant (450) Michigan Sep 9, 2009

haha your a perrin fanboy already huh J? :p
  18. jbck109

jbck109 Savant (295) Michigan May 30, 2010

yup, great place with two of the best brewers that I know, gotta talk em up!
    BoneyardBrewer and founder26 like this.
  19. sullenbee

sullenbee Savant (340) Michigan Jan 15, 2010

I probably drink more Two Hearted than anything, but I do love me some Huma. Centennial and Crooked Tree are also damn good. Gotta go with Two Hearted though, based on how many pints I consume per year.
    tectactoe likes this.
  20. travMI13

travMI13 Savant (355) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

Two Hearted. Absolutely no contest.

/thread
    stayclean likes this.
  21. tectactoe

tectactoe Advocate (740) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

Correct me if I'm wrong... (and this is the reason I didn't add it to the poll) but Red's Rye isn't considered a true IPA.... is it? Or is it? I wasn't too sure. Of course it's got IPA characteristics, but I feel that it's different enough to not really be considered an IPA.

I don't know.
  22. Drank some Two Hearted this weekend and it was delicious. Such a balanced IPA!

I'll never forget my first Huma, though--Kalamazoo in '07 or '08 @ Shakespeare's...blew my mind away.

Simply said, Michigan brews some damn fine IPA's.
    tectactoe likes this.
  23. tectactoe

Yes, All Day is damn fine. It's very impressive how much IPA flavor and aroma is packed into a 4.7% ABV beer.
    Mothergoose03 and mjshearer1 like this.
  24. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

It is a Rye PA, an IPA brewed with a significant amount of rye. When a malt bill contains that much rye the beer will usually be grouped with rye beers instead of IPAs no matter how similar they are. It is not wrong to compare Reds Rye to an IPA, it is a good comparison, personally I would not include the beer with my top IPAs however.
  25. tectactoe

I see. Makes sense... Thanks for explanation.
  26. loki993

loki993 Aficionado (230) Michigan Apr 16, 2009

I've had them all:

Huma
    2 Hearted
    Crooked Tree
    Mad Hatter
    Sacred cow
    Centennial

The Huma and 2 hearted are probably tied, but I also prefer a more hop forward IPA do the Huma gets a little bump. The Centennial I had way back when and all I remember was it wasn't very hoppy. I should try it again.
  27. Hazer115

Hazer115 Aficionado (105) Michigan Jun 21, 2011

Being from Michigan I've actually had all of the beers mentioned and have to go with Two Hearted, definitely one of my go-to beers.

1. Two Hearted
    2. Huma Lupa
    3. Crooked Tree
    4. Centennial
    5. Mad Hatter (a distant 5th)
    6. Sacred Cow
  28. Haven't had them all, but I'm a 2-hearted guy.
  29. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

Two Hearted isn't just the best IPA or best beer, it's the best thing on Earth, ever.
    Steimie likes this.
  30. OTB

OTB Savant (345) California Sep 2, 2011

Aside from getting a nice selection of Boulevard when visiting the in-laws I get an opportunity to consume to my hearts content all of the Two Hearted I want, and seeing that we are going back for Thanksgiving I am ready and willing.

Cheers......
  31. lurpy1

lurpy1 Savant (470) Minnesota Jan 15, 2010

Two Hearted gets my vote narrowly over Huma. Have not had Sacred Cow, but generally Arbor beers don't hold up to the other 5 breweries. Also, I don't know if Odd Side Citra is year round, or if it is an IPA, even, but if the answer to both is yes, it gets my vote.
  32. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

Eh, I'll start one now. It's pretty good here right now!
  33. Bogforce

Bogforce Savant (360) Ohio Sep 2, 2010

I take it a lot of people haven't had Dark Horse Crooked Tree.
  34. ChiPool

ChiPool Aficionado (185) Illinois Nov 6, 2011

This!!!
  35. ChiPool

ChiPool Aficionado (185) Illinois Nov 6, 2011

Agree with the Red's Rye comments!
  36. raymo55

raymo55 Savant (465) Michigan Oct 3, 2011

I agree with all of the Two Hearted voters.....but I gotta give a shoutout to my hometown Hopnoxxxious IPA from Walldorff!
  37. HarrySTruman

HarrySTruman Savant (265) Michigan May 16, 2012

Centennial is the best imo. Although 2 hearted is a close 2nd. Funny that sacred cow gets no votes and my first impression was that it wasn't any good.
  38. I like it on the handpump at the brewpub. Not as good on draft at the Corner, or in bottles.
  39. HarrySTruman

HarrySTruman Savant (265) Michigan May 16, 2012

I've only had it at the Corner. I live like 2 miles from there.
  40. Bitter_Echo

Bitter_Echo Savant (400) Michigan Apr 13, 2012

Bell's2HAle. Then Founders All Day IPA, then North Peak's Wanderer, then Crooked Tree, then the rest.

Although 2HA seems to be widely distributed outside of MI, this has got to seem like a complete 'gift' for those of us who can't get it easily, and can't drink it Uber Fresh! This is the geographic equivalent of living at the base of a picturesque mountain. It's easy to appreciate, and then easy to forget, just how lucky one is to have such a view: And as surely as we are, to have such a brew. Cheers!