1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Best Michigan-brewed, year-round IPA?

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by tectactoe, Oct 18, 2012.

?

Favorite Michigan-brewed, year-round IPA

1. Arbor Brewing Company's Sacred Cow

2 vote(s)
    0.5%
  2. Bell's Two Hearted Ale

283 vote(s)
    70.9%
  3. Dark Horse's Crooked Tree

19 vote(s)
    4.8%
  4. Founder's Centennial

47 vote(s)
    11.8%
  5. New Holland's Mad Hatter

1 vote(s)
    0.3%
  6. Short's Huma-Lupa-Licious

39 vote(s)
    9.8%
  7. Other - comment and let us know which one!

8 vote(s)
    2.0%
  1. 3morley

3morley Aficionado (105) Illinois May 26, 2010

Would Rochester Mills' Cornerstone or Witches Hat's Big Doedish qualify? Those two would rate high for me. Not much of a fan of the year-round selections of MI IPAs though, having moved here from San Diego (I think I got too used to the "West Coast IPA" style a la Green Flash or anything from Alpine). Red's Rye is good, and so is Two Hearted and Singapore, but nothing compared to the seasonal selections of IPAs in the state - eg Kuhnhenn's DRIPA, Short's The Liberator and Controversiale, Founders' All Day IPA, Odd Side's Citra Pale Ale, and even some of the off-shoots like Big Red Coq, Anger, and Sky High Rye (especially in teh can).

Does anyone know why breweries don't brew some of those more popular IPAs year round? Is it the cost or availability of the hops? Wet hops for some?

2. stooge

stooge Savant (285) Michigan Feb 22, 2012

Two Hearted, hands down. I moved to Michigan last year, used to treasure a sixer of this when I couldn't get it all the time. Now I love being able to order one of these at mainstream places like the local Buffalo Wild Wings here, it's so good fresh and on tap!
    Honorable mentions:
    Centennial
    Crooked Tree
    Huma Lupa
    Mad Hatter

3. Arcadia IPA, Bells, Crooked Tree, Saugatuck and Founders Centennial.

4. HarrySTruman

HarrySTruman Savant (265) Michigan May 16, 2012

Gotta say, Arcadia IPA was certainly my least favorite Michigan brewed IPA. Felt like I was drinking salt water or something. It was close to a drain pour for me.

steebo777 likes this.
  5. mzeld

mzeld Savant (260) Michigan Mar 5, 2012

Hands down Two Hearted. Hard to beat it on draft.

6. AnnArborJoe

AnnArborJoe Savant (325) Michigan Jan 18, 2011

Bells two hearted ale.
    Best out of the mini kegs
    Markintihar one? No way, bro.

crushedvol and trxxpaxxs like this.
  7. Jparkanzky

Jparkanzky Initiate (0) Ohio Apr 5, 2011

Where's Kzoobrew? He's always hating on Two-Hearted.....

trxxpaxxs and decadance like this.
  8. It grew on me.

9. MidwestBA

MidwestBA Savant (345) Illinois Jan 31, 2009

#1 - Crooked Tree

10. decadance

decadance Savant (385) Texas Mar 14, 2010

Two hearted, than huma, no other competitors.

11. Two Hearted is pretty darn good. Wouldn't be able to say if its better than Centennial though. Mad Hatter is also solid. Since this forum is dominated by them anyway I might as well mention Norm's Raggedy Ass from Griffin Claw Brewing in Birmingham. Not sure it stands up to centennial but its cheaper and smells amazing for a brew named after a donkey. If you're looking for something new and want to support a smaller brewer I'd recommend it for sure.

12. It's funny looking at this pole a year later.

Arbor Sacred Cow still sucks and still enough people have not had Crooked Tree. LOL.

I would throw Mad Hatter and Sacred Cow completely off this list and seeing Saugatuck Singapore mentioned is regrettable.

Arbor has however redeemed themselves as Buzzsaw is a fine IPA that I think Norm's is very solid as well. Another one that I did not see mentioned but I really enjoyed was Right Brain Spiny Norman - but I'm a sucker for Simcoe.

13. Vav

Vav Savant (495) Illinois Jul 27, 2008

I always read your name in my head as "Tecate Toe"

I have nothing else to add.

14. core42

core42 Advocate (500) Michigan May 5, 2010

This!
    Living in Kzoo it's easy to take 2 Hearted for granted since it's my fallback beer when I have nothing new to tick at a bar/restaurant but it is great

**edit** Ha, I just noticed this thread was a year old

15. Slay40

Slay40 Advocate (545) Michigan Feb 22, 2013

I cant get enough Norms IPA, Griffin Claw.

16. roger617

roger617 Savant (365) Indiana Jun 1, 2013

Bells Two Hearted is practically a flagship IPA everywhere it is distributed. In the last 28 hours I have been in 2 very different main stream restaurants who both served this as one of their only non-Sam Adams craft beer. I think you could expand this question to a Great Lakes Forum and Two Hearted would still hold the top spot. It's too good and so readily available that at this point in time it just can't be beat.

17. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (865) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

Didn't read the thread but it was so easy to choose Two-Hearted. Such a fantastic IPA that I can find anytime I come home to SE Michigan (parents still live in the metro Detroit area).

18. Still haven't tried Crooked Tree myself, almost picked up a six pack of it tonight too. Kind of regretting not getting some. And I must say that I enjoy Mad Hatter less and less each time I try it.

19. PaulyB83

PaulyB83 Advocate (525) Michigan Sep 1, 2013

Centennial slightly over Two Hearted. I find it a bit more citrusy and super fresh Two Hearted is a bit too floral for me. Had some Two Hearted on tap recently that must have been a bit old because it was much more sweet malt forward and I actually thought it was really damn good.

P.S. Aren't Centennial and Two Hearted the only ones on this list with bottling dates?

20. MgoJohnStamos

MgoJohnStamos Savant (295) Michigan Jun 15, 2013

Citra Pale Ale!

21. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (760) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

Who revived this crap? Two Hearted is the best. Can't believe I used to like Centennial better..... Yikes!!

miwestcoaster likes this.
  22. Short's bottled on date can be found on the neck in black ink

23. Zombie thread!

I'll put my two cents in though, I like Two Hearted so much that I will gladly drink it over any IPA I can get in San Francisco :) I was raised on beautifully balanced IPAs and will forever prefer that over any of the west coast super hoppy stuff.

Believe it or not, Huma Lupa is too hoppy for me!

24. willth

willth Savant (270) Michigan Apr 2, 2013

My list goes
    2hearted
    Huma
    Super G - white flame brewery
    Then the rest

25. As much as I complain that Two Hearted ain't what it used to be appearance wise. It's an old trusted friend that refuses to let me down. My next (on the list) one would be Centennial, and then probably Shorts Huma-yummy.

I'm currently quaffing some All Day. And uh uh. No way on Founders All Day even being close to a contender. It's too one dimensional in comparison to any of the others on the list that I am familiar with.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  26. Keffa

Keffa Advocate (505) Ohio Jan 8, 2009

Two Hearted. But I'd much rather have a Columbus IPA than a Two Hearted.

27. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

Two Hearted hands down. Shorts Hopstache a close second.

That's because you're from Ohio ;)

BreakfastStout likes this.
  28. Two Hearted is hands down the best IPA I've ever tasted anywhere, let alone Michigan. Centennial, Dungras from Greenbush, and Crooked Tree are all delicious. Mad Hatter is just a bit behind those. I'm not sure why Humalupalicious is on anyones "best" list.

miwestcoaster likes this.
  29. PaulyB83

PaulyB83 Advocate (525) Michigan Sep 1, 2013

Oh ya sorry just went and looked at my bottle of Liberator and Juicy Tree and noticed it very faintly, couldn't really make out the date. Guess the refrigerator smeared it off or something.

HopHeadHerman likes this.
  30. Keffa

Keffa Advocate (505) Ohio Jan 8, 2009

Maybe partially, but I prefer it to practically any IPA. I think the closest I've had to it was a really fresh White Rajah. Otherwise, I find myself going back over and over.