1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Best Micro City

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by GRbruR, Jan 25, 2013.

1. GRbruR

GRbruR Aficionado (150) Utah Jan 5, 2008

We all know there is a list for everything these days. "Top Ten Cities for Single Women", or "Best Cars for a Kid With ADHD". I am curious to poll fellow BA members on which city (or cities) you think best showcase a variety of brewing talent and options. Now I know there are going to be a lot of "homers" chiming in, but stay as objective as possible. Also, if you haven't been there, don't assume, therefore don't tout it.

Big cities like Portland, Chicago, and Denver get a lot of love based on sheer volume of breweries there. Smaller hubs like Asheville, Grand Rapids, and Austin can hold their own with many of the big boys. Thoughts?

2. I think this thread has come up a few times although I can't find it.

The answer is San Diego though.

Naterobsnyk4 and BottleCaps80 like this.
  3. GRbruR

Erik, I think you are right, and I couldn't find it either. I am looking for a couple of cities to hit on an upcoming road trip, so this list is actually a bit self-indulgent :)

4. mrcraft

mrcraft Advocate (735) California Dec 15, 2012

IMO, San Diego and its vicinity is probably the best brewing city.

Now if you asked which state then my answer would not be California though...

5. It's all good and I think SD is drivable from SLC for sure :)

6. Burlington-Stowe, VT

7. The answer is not Providence, RI. So go ahead and cross that one off of your list.

8. San Diego certainly has some of the best beer in the country, but it is far from the best city to drink beer in.

dianimal likes this.
  9. i have to agree SD not to mention I try go there every month
    just went this month and two days there hit
    Alpine, Alesmith, Ballast point, Hess, Society, Green Flash, and Pizza Port

10. Ha, but it should be. Exactly the type of city that should be a craft beer mecca.

11. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

I'll go with Grand Rapids.

12. GRbruR

What is Orkut?

13. Ain't that the truth. It's a damn shame that the Providence beer seen is as pathetic as it is.

14. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (605) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

Well, it is sort of "micro" in a sense...

mwar, SeaOfShells and Providence like this.
  15. San Diego.
    Denver.
    Portland.

dianimal likes this.
  16. Grand Rapids.

okcommuter and Zaphog like this.
  17. Portland, Maine!

18. GRbruR

I grew up in the Grand Rapids area and just moved from there - I miss that scene, man. Having 20+ microbreweries within a 45-minute drive from anywhere is pretty rad considering its a city of about 200,000. Now I am in the mountain west, I have done Denver, Fort Collins, L.A., Austin, and Phoenix (bad). I will be back in LA in a few weeks, and might rent a car and head down to SD. Geeked. Haven't done the beer scene there.

19. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,130) Washington Sep 24, 2007

Bend. Not only is it a small city (thusly "micro"), but with more breweries than most folks have fingers, you will not go thirsty.

20. GRbruR

I like the idea of drivng from SLC to Missoula, then over to Bend and up to Portland, then home. Three great stops, me thinks.

StoutChaser7D likes this.
  21. I thought it was a tie between Grand Rapids, MI and Asheville, NC?

22. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

I'd say San Diego has an incredible beer scene with amazing breweries.
    However, pound for pound GRAND RAPIDS is ze winna!

GRbruR likes this.
  23. Being from SLC myself and my parents living in NoCal, I always wanted to do the San Diego up through San Fran area but never got the chance. I say do it!

GRbruR likes this.
  24. GRbruR

Bryan27, you're right, both of those places tied for first for Beer City USA, but I think that each launched its own social media campaign, so many of those votes came from people who aren't necessarily craftheads, they just wanted to see their city on the top of another list. Nothing against either, as noted above, I love the GR brewing scene, and Asheville's, although not as varied as GR's, is better than most large city's beer scenes.

25. I've been to Grand Rapids and was very impressed! I now live in Charlotte and will heading to Asheville soon to check it out. Can't wait to compare the two!

GRbruR likes this.
  26. Chewbacca

Chewbacca Initiate (0) Antarctica Jan 22, 2013

Kachirho on Kashyyyk is poppin'

27. I wouldnt sleep on Durham. Go on a Saturday, then you can hit Triangle Brewing (Belgians), Fullsteam (off the wall local), and Bull City Burger and Brewery (English and sessions). If you move down 40 toward Raleigh, you have Roth and Natty Greene's (meh), LoneRider, and Big Boss (highlight of the Raleigh breweries).

28. Dtapeski

Dtapeski Aficionado (195) Colorado Oct 26, 2012

I know you said city and you were already there, but in a 2 hour range, IMO nothing can beat Denver/ Boulder/Ft.Collins/Colorado Springs. I am a Homer.

29. GRbruR

I liked Durham alot, not so much for the beer quality and variety, but the beer culture - lots of good people and so nice, super easy to talk to and well-educated in all things brewing. I went to Triangle (pretty solid) and Bull City (not solid), but again, the after-work scene in Durham kicks ass.

30. GRbruR

Not a bad place to be a homer, man!

31. yea Bull City has so many beers, I think its hard for them to focus in on certain beers. The Cognac aged barleywine was insanely good, and english bitters and pales are in a league of their own. no one else makes them. Kind of the same reason I keep telling the guys at Triangle to age some Lambic, and in 3 years blend vintages into a Gueuze. No one in NC makes one.

32. you need to hit up stone if you haven't. growler fills, great food, and a amazing draft selection!

33. Smurf2055

Smurf2055 Savant (495) Washington Nov 12, 2011

Bend, Oregon

34. LambicKing

LambicKing Advocate (655) Florida Apr 13, 2011

Fucking Brussels.

35. dunix

dunix Savant (460) Vermont Jan 26, 2011

Waterbury, VT
    Portland, ME
    Fredrick, MD

36. GRbruR

Does Waterbury have anything else besides The Alchemist?

37. dunix

dunix Savant (460) Vermont Jan 26, 2011

No, but it is close enough to some other world class breweries, and it is the best spot to partake in Alchemist, HF, and Lawson's

frankthetank86 likes this.
  38. JayS2629

JayS2629 Savant (460) Alabama Oct 23, 2010

Best one I've been to is Asheville, NC and Fort Collins, CO.

Bitterbill likes this.
  39. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

I consider Fremont and Ballard to be their own communities. Both hold their own with any other burg in the US.

Hood River, OR is a really neat place too.

libbey likes this.
  40. Besides three awesome beer bars serving Hill Farmstead, Lawson's, and many other great beers? No, not really.