1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Best Micro City

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by GRbruR, Jan 25, 2013.

1. I have been to stone many a time I like the outdoor garden
    there is a stone tasting room near my house in los angeles area and they fill growlers
    I am going to drink a growler tonite of Sublimely Self Righteous

frankthetank86 and GRbruR like this.
  2. GRbruR

GRbruR Aficionado (150) Utah Jan 5, 2008

All sarcasm aside, I love Vermont and the vibe up there. But, that being said, its hard to argue that Waterbury could be rated up there with places that have five, ten, fifteen, or twenty craft breweries in the same locale, not to mention all of the "secondary" brew-dens, places that serve a ton of great micros but don't brew their own.

3. Of cities I've visited:

Portland OR
    San Diego
    Grand Rapids
    Philly (for the top notch distribution & beer bars, not necessarily the local breweries)

4. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Durango colorado, last time I did the math it was the reigning champ in the brewery per capita division of "name your favorite beer town".

5. GRbruR

GRbruR Aficionado (150) Utah Jan 5, 2008

I have never pegged Durango for a beer town , but you're right - looks like 5 craft breweries in a town of about 17,000. One craft brewery for every 3,400 residents. Grand Rapids, by contrast, has 22 microbreweries in the metro, and with a population of about 200,000, thats only 1 brewery per 9,000+ residents.

6. How come I can never see levitation s posts?

7. alexipa

alexipa Savant (410) Colorado Oct 7, 2011

In my opinion- It used to be San Diego, it's now Denver. Portland isn't even in the top 5 anymore.

8. celfan

celfan Savant (465) Vermont Jul 4, 2004

i've never felt like i belonged anywhere like i do while drinking in Waterbury

I suspect I'll one day get hit by a car at 1 am crossing the street from Prohibition to Blackback - and I'll die a happy man.

9. I always reply with Fort Collins things.
    I can't be too predictable.

Bitterbill likes this.
  10. hit up stone! you won't be let down bromigo.

GRbruR likes this.
  11. buschbeer

buschbeer Advocate (560) Ohio Feb 7, 2009

12. I'm I the only one who was bummed that this thread wasn't about your favorite minuscule city?

BigCheese and davemont like this.
  13. bishopdc0

bishopdc0 Savant (410) Maine Jan 23, 2010

I was hoping this was going to be about smaller beer towns.

I always laugh when Burlington (pop 42K) and Portland, ME (pop. 66K) are compared to San Diego (pop 1.3million) and Portland, OR (pop 595K)

14. sponas

sponas Zealot (75) Arizona Jul 27, 2009

Southwest Michigan is not a city per se but would include Bell's, Founder's, Dark Horse and New Holland.

15. BSW

BSW Aficionado (240) California Jun 20, 2011

I know Ashville NC and San Diego are great, but I'll be a total homer and make the case for Santa Rosa California (Pop. 150,000). These are the breweries within an hour's drive:

Russian River
    Lagunitas
    Bear Republic
    Anderson Valley
    21st Amendment
    Anchor
    Speakeasy
    Moylan's
    Marin Brewing
    Mendocino Brewing
    3rd Street Aleworks
    Iron Springs
    Eleveation 66
    Triple Rock
    Napa Smith
    Sonoma Brewing
    Sumptown Brewing
    Marin Beer Works
    Sonoma Springs Brewing
    Calistoga Brewing
    Ukiah Brewing Co.

And I'm sure I've probably missed a few.

16. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

Denver/Boulder. No contest.

17. craigo19

craigo19 Savant (260) Michigan Oct 12, 2009

Grand Rapids, like Santa Rosa, CA there are a ton of great breweries within an hour drive.

18. I am gonna have to go with Portland, OR.

19. I'm not sure you're being sincere here....really.

I live 20 minutes from Frederick and even I don't bother going there for drinks. Flying Dog is meh.

20. jimmyr78

jimmyr78 Zealot (95) Missouri Jan 26, 2013

While we're not worthy of the "Best Beer City" yet, my hometown of St. Louis is at least trying to make the list. There are now 22 breweries (with 3 more opening within 6 months) within an hour drive, with most of them within a few miles of downtown. The brewing talent has increased exponentially in the past three years, with homegrown, out-of-town, and AB/Inbev exiles filling local brewery ranks. Also, there are several beer bars highly ranked by the national trade mags (Bridge, iTap's 3 locations, Cicero's, and many others); plus more festivals than one could ever hope to attend. A trade group - the St. Louis Brewers Guild - recently hired their first full-time executive director to help promote beer tourism.

Cities like Denver, San Diego, Portland and others have a 20-year jump on us, but the scene here is great. We invite all of you to stop in for a weekend!

sometimesIdrink likes this.
  21. Roudy

Roudy Savant (295) Georgia Aug 20, 2009

I'm with you on San Diego. I usually stay in the Rancho Bernardo/Scripps Ranch area where it's a short drive to many you've listed above.

22. ...Waiting for the inevitable post that names a city and then says "end thread."

Beerontwowheels likes this.
  23. jimmyr78

jimmyr78 Zealot (95) Missouri Jan 26, 2013

The Denver/Boulder/Colorado Springs area has to be my favorite. I spent a week there last summer touring breweries, and didn't make it to half of them. So many quality options. Avery alone (though the brewery is nothing to look at) makes the region tops, and you add on Left Hand, Great Divide, Oskar Blues, Twisted Pine, Southern Sun, Boulder Brewing, Upslope...I need to return for another week to hit up the many that I had to skip.

beercanman likes this.
  24. manutdfan

manutdfan Initiate (0) Florida May 25, 2012

Tampa for me, so good that i may be moving there for work in the next 6 months

25. I can't believe this. The answe is simple. Munster Indiana. The home of 3 Floyd's. end of story.

26. Is this just for Flying Dog or is there a bar there I should know about?

27. Born and live in Grand Rapids, but I've spent most of the last few years traveling to LA for work. (need a good reason to get to Colorado though!)
    San Diego is great. Brewery tours are good, Ballast Point has good beer and Stone is worth checking out. Best time my wife and I had was walking from our hotel to Pizza Port in Newport Beach. Great day, good atmosphere, awesome brews.
    Check out Hodads for maybe the best classic burger we've ever had.

Rent the car, you'll be glad.

28. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (500) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

Bamberg
    Salzburg
    Sheffield
    Copenhagen
    Brussels
    Amsterdam

29. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,135) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

Salzburg?

30. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (500) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

Augustiner in Salzburg is the closest place to heaven on earth.

herrburgess likes this.
  31. nc41

nc41 Advocate (650) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Hell yes it does, both Lawsons and Hill Farmstead are local, even though HF is a little bit of a drive. HF probably has half a dozen beers in the top 100. Some really cool bars there as well that have some of the best tap offering you can get whether you like IPA's or Sours or Porters.

32. robboyd

robboyd Savant (295) Indiana Aug 7, 2011

Interesting to see Chicago hasn't gotten a nod yet. Good things happening there and it's getting better every day.

I love Grand Rapids and go there several times a year to drink beer and for releases. Look at my avatar if there is any doubt of my love for their beer. As a whole, I just don't see it as being the best. The southwest Michigan region as a whole would be a no brainer and it wouldn't be close but alas, that's an unfair advantage.

I'd rather drink beer in Indianapolis 4 times out of 5, compared to any other city in the country. You can find as fine of beer in this city than any other in the country, along with an extremely wide array of options in brewery, that will cover nearly every style at any time.

Flat 12
    Bier Brewery
    Sun King
    Brugge
    Black Acre
    Fountain Square
    Oaken Barrel
    Upland (tasting room)
    Union Brewing Company
    Triton
    Thr3e Wisemen
    Broad Ripple Brewpub
    Black Swan Brewpub
    Ram x2
    Rock Bottom x2

I still do a lot of beer tourism but I'm a homer at heart. Maybe my opinion will change after my trip to VT this spring.

33. hood river oregon, about 1.5hr outside of portland,
    in town: Full sail, Double Mountain, Big horse
    just outside of town: Everybody's brewing, Solera, Logsdon
    little bit further(about 30min): Walking man
    great bars with awesome tap selections: Wacouma Club, Volcanic Bottle Shop, The Euro Pub, 6th st bistro. you almost cant find macro in this town, unless you count Old German as macro
    then like i said its not to far from portland

beertunes likes this.
  34. spry

spry Aficionado (240) Michigan Oct 8, 2009

Can you elaborate a little?

35. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 18, 2010

I can't believe this either.

beertunes likes this.
  36. robboyd

robboyd Savant (295) Indiana Aug 7, 2011

Munster isn't even the best school district for beer in Indiana. Keep following the hype.

beertunes and draheim like this.
  37. ESeab

ESeab Advocate (505) New Jersey Jan 3, 2013

I was going to say this. A great craft beer SCENE city

38. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

Avery was my favorite as well.

39. Schmuck82

Schmuck82 Initiate (0) Texas Nov 13, 2008

I generally think of a "micro brewery" as a very small place that only sells beer at its own very small brewery/ pub. I think of all these places mentioned as "craft breweries". Maybe I am an idiot though...