1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Best Micro City

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by GRbruR, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Been to 2 out the 3 anyways !!!

2. Olden Horney cognac aged barley wine from Bull City Burger and Brewery is GD Amazing

3. Albuquerque-area has a great brewery scene with La Cumbre, Marble, Santa Fe, Nexxus, Chama River, Rio Grande and Sierra Blanca, Tractor, Turtle Mountain, Kelly's, and others.

4. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (500) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

It's a very special place with a unique atmosphere. Ask anyone who's been there. The beer is pretty good, too.

Bitterbill likes this.
  5. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,145) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

I was thinking that you meant this.

Enjoying a 1L glass of Budvar in a Vienna beer garden was also a step closer to heaven.

6. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (500) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

There's nowhere like Augustiner in Salzburg. I've been to a lot of pubs and a lot of beer gardens and Augustiner is unique.

7. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,145) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

Now I wish I had gone there when I lived in Austria. Thanks a lot.:(

8. well of course it is!

9. dirtylou

dirtylou Champion (785) Washington May 12, 2005

So its currently between some small town in Vermont, Durham NC, and Brussels. Is that right?

/EndThread

beertunes likes this.
  10. Thanks for fulfilling my prediction.

beertunes likes this.
  11. dirtylou

dirtylou Champion (785) Washington May 12, 2005

Your prediction was my inspiration. The ridiculous responses helped too ;)

5thOhio and beertunes like this.
  12. TomTwanks

TomTwanks Initiate (0) Ohio Apr 5, 2011

Go to Ohio City/Tremont and tell me you ain't living good.

13. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,130) Washington Sep 24, 2007

North Dakota. The brewing scene there can truly be described as Micro. /End thread.

GFG likes this.
  14. Horbar

Horbar Advocate (570) Rhode Island Feb 24, 2012

Quality, not quantity....that's what Northern Vermont is about... lol

15. nucmedmario

nucmedmario Savant (330) Illinois Sep 1, 2010

so glad i live in chicago...

goose island, revolution, half acre, pipeworks, piece, spiteful, begyle, 5 rabbit, arcade, atlas, dryhop, moonshine, off color, metropolitan, lake effect, finch's, argus.

we have pretty good neighboring breweries too.

16. GFG

GFG Savant (295) North Dakota Oct 24, 2012

Traverse City, MI is pretty awesome. Population is less than 15,000 and they have 7 microbreweries, 8 if you want to count Shorts Brewing, which is considered part of the Traverse City brewing scene. They have another microbrewery opening very soon, plus 2 restaurants that brew their own beers and a few tap rooms. So it's soon to be 9 microbreweries/brewpubs, 2 restaurants that brew their own beer and 3 (that I know of) tap rooms. Add this in with the large amount of wineries and the distillery they have. That's pretty fucking ridiculous for a town of 15,000.

I'm in no way from the town or area so I'm not a homer when saying this. Not saying it's the best city either but it's pretty damn good if you're looking for a beer destination.

17. I wish it was listed on this site.. I'd give 4.5 or 4.75
    Also wish I could get a growler. Menu says no.

18. whiterabbit

whiterabbit Savant (255) Ohio Jan 24, 2010

Seriously???

Easy, Cleveland, Ohio and vicinity.

Many great cities, many worthy, but.....

Great Lakes, Nosferatu, The Original American Christmas Ale, Dortmunder (Gold Medal Winner many times over).......Many many more.
    Brew Kettle (White Rajah)
    (Akron (yes, we claim EVERYTHING from Akron ours) B.O.R.I.S. (Hoppin' Frog)
    as well as Old Leg humper ( Thirsty Dog)
    Head Hunter (Fatheads, North Olmsted, West Side Cleveland)

And I am missing many.

Talk about a party in a City, we have Lousy weather, even worse sports teams, every Joke ever created, but MAN do we have GREAT BEER and TONS of it! And we know what is good, and we consume it in gallons.

Let's face it. We have to. We need it. Cali has the weather, East Coast the Cash...Chicago the tourism and the Nightlife, Pittsburgh and Detroit (Michigan) the Championships. All we have is the brew. And a purpose to create, and consume. In Cleveland, alcohol is not just a hobby, it is a reason to call the Northcoast home.....

Winner , Winner , Chicken Dinner. Wash it down with an Imperial Imp.........

miketd likes this.
  19. Why does there have to be a best. I am thankful for so many good places when I travel the US, or Europe.

20. The industry definition of "microbrewery" is a brewery with a yearly production of up to 15,000 barrels, so that includes breweries that bottle and distribute (either self-dist. in state where allowed, or via independent wholesalers in-state and regionally). Pretty hard to sell 15k bbl. only at a pub/brewery, and "brewpub" is the industry standard term for breweries than sell only or much of their beer at the pub. See Brewers Association's Market Segments.

So, of the 2000+ breweries operating in the US currently, all but around 80-85 of them fall under the "microbrewery" or "brewpub" barrelage totals.

The term "microbrewery" (or, originally, sometimes "micro brewery") predates the common usage of "craft brewery" and, unfortunately, many - including consumers, retailers, wholesalers, brewers themselves and even many BA beer geeks - still use it to mean any non-macro brewing company.

21. Don't forget about Indigo Imp!