1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Best Mini-Fridge For An Apartment

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by PenguinsFan88, Sep 12, 2012.

1. PenguinsFan88

PenguinsFan88 Member

So in less than 2 weeks I'll be in my new apartment in Kitchener. And I am still looking around online for a good mini-fridge to store beer and other liqour in.

Idealistically after I get settled in and unpacked, I want to have my own personal "man-fridge" in my new bedroom in my apartment for beer and liqour for when I'm watching hockey games or relaxing or whatnot.

Any reccomendations??? It's kind of annoying how most mini-fridges are more "can friendly" than bottle friendly. Especially since quite a few beers I like come in 500 ml. bottles. I.E. bottles of Hacker-Pschorr Weisse or Hobgoblin.

Was looking at this one at Walmart here in Timmins yesterday, it has removeable/adjustable shelves and whatnot.
    http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/danby-3...es&fromSearchBox=true&addFacet=SRCH:danby 3.2

I wonder how many beer bottles could fit in that thing??? Any ideas?? Or better suggestions or reccomendations???
  2. boilermakerbrew

boilermakerbrew Member

I have pretty much this exact model, but 3 years old. The only difference is in the door. Mine has the old 'can slide' thing that lays cans flat and lets them fall down to the bottom where the dispenser is.

That being said, depending on shelf configuration, I can usually get about 24, 12 oz bottles in there. You'd have to lay some down or get 1 or 2 in the door, but they fit.

Biggest issue is with 750's. They pretty much can't stand unless you are only going to use 1 shelf in it. 500's are fine the way mine is set up (which I think is about a good as I can get it for a variety of bottle sizes). Bombers are kind of case by case since they are all a little different. The tallest ones have to be laid down, but most of the rest fit, but are very close to the top in my current setup.

Temperature control is usually good. I keep a thermometer in mine to monitor, and setting it close to as low as it can go keeps it between 43-50. Not too bad. Any lower than that range and the freezer component starts melting all over.

All in all, I like my fridge. I'm a senior in college and had it since I was a freshman, and it has lasted 3 or 4 moves. It's sturdy and gets the job done.
  3. jtmartino

jtmartino Member

Mini fridges can fit a few bombers, but not two rows of the tall ones. This is a Maytag mini fridge very similar to the Haier ones. Space is lost on the bottom shelf due to the compressor and stuff behind the fridge, and you have to be careful with condensation dripping on the bottles from the freezer compartment.

[​IMG]
  4. IcemanCometh

IcemanCometh Member

5. bonemuse07

bonemuse07 Member

I have a Danby too-- no freezer, and I can get some bombers and plenty of 12oz in there, along with a can rack. Probably about 40 beers total sitting in the fridge, although the top rack has them on their side.
  6. jamesshelton

jamesshelton Member

7. sirtomtom

sirtomtom Member

For the op, my only issue with mini fridges with built in freezers is that some of the cheap and mid range models don't keep the freezing air off things right below the freezer section. Buddy of mine brought a bottle of Yeti Imperial Stout to a tasting. It was left near the freezer section of the mini fridge, we pour the bottle, find a that most of the water in the beer froze. In a twist, the beer ended up being concentrated, only the majority of the water was frozen. Beer was amazing!
  8. jnhkkm

jnhkkm Member

I have like 2 door mini fridges because of the bigger freezer space. Danby, Haier and Frigidaire are pretty good brands. I saw a top 5 list of mini fridges to buy from yourminifridge.com. Maybe it will help you choose. http://yourminifridge.com/?p=1047
  9. JT534

JT534 Member

I just picked this one up from sams. the adjustable shelves make it suited to store a variety of sizes.
    Haier 150 can beverage cooler.

Here is a picture of mine all set up:
    [​IMG]