1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Best Minnesota beers

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by dhannes, Mar 23, 2013.

1. dhannes

dhannes Savant (360) Wisconsin Feb 14, 2010

Heading to Minnesota and want to pick up about 6 singles of the best Minnesota beers...any (1) must pick ups? (2) Which place has the best selection AND sells mix sixes (and is somewhat near The Mall of America)?

2. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

Suggest you ask mods to move this to Midwest forum.

3. mnphish

mnphish Savant (375) Minnesota Aug 19, 2012

The Four Firkins in St. Louis Park and The Ale Jail in St. Paul both have amazing singles selections. I'm not sure if you can find all these beers in singles but look out for these:
    Surly Furious/Coffee Bender/Abrasive Ale
    Indeed Day Tripper or Midnight Ryder
    Steel Toe Size 7
    Summit Saga IPA
    Fulton War and Peace

KWMiles, cmannes, sacrelicio and 3 others like this.
  4. darky

darky Savant (260) South Dakota Apr 16, 2010

Schells Stag Series Barelywine is fantastic.

5. Surly
    Schells
    Summit
    Steel toe
    Fulton
    Indeed

6. Mix sixers ? IMO
    Zipps
    4Firkins
    Lyndale Liquors
    Elevated

pillzsix and DBijnagte like this.
  7. VDODSON

VDODSON Savant (310) North Dakota Feb 5, 2013

Easy, Surly.

YogiBeer and alysmith4 like this.
  8. I largely agree with MNphish's beer recommendations:
    Surly Abrasive & Furious
    Indeed Day Tripper & Midnight Ryder
    Steel Toe Size 7
    Fulton Worth Adversary & War and Peace​
    I'd skip the Schell's and Summit. There are some phenomenal tap room's if you're up for trying those: Indeed, Dangerous Man, Steel Toe, Harriet Brewing to name a few. The good bottle shops have already been listed.​

9. Wasatch

Wasatch Advocate (695) Utah Jun 8, 2005

I can't believe no one has mentioned any brew's from MTHB.

Cheers!

10. 1Sundown2C

1Sundown2C Savant (440) New York Jan 13, 2012

You're only heading to the Mecca of sought-after beer...you're screwed :-/

11. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (615) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

Does Blue Max do mixed sixers?

12. Yes

13. djsmith1174

djsmith1174 Savant (480) Minnesota Aug 21, 2005

Skipping Schell's and Summit would be a mistake in my opinion. Both make high quality products. I for one and very glad we have them as local breweries. Easy to find and easy to drink. ;)

LittleGus, pillzsix, leezy and 2 others like this.
  14. djsmith1174

Also Princeton's if in the northwest part of the metro area.

EDIT: I should've read a little more thoroughly since you mentioned the MOA. But Princeton's is worth stopping at if you make it up in that corner.

15. BottleCaps80

Yeah...skipping Summit and Schell's is just plain dumb. But.....if the OP is from Wisconsin, I'd assume they have those beers readily available in WI too.

16. BottleCaps80

I guess this thread is relevant to my interests as well, because I am coming up the first week in April. I know of all of the great beer to be had in the Twin Cities, but does anybody know of any special/limited/seasonals to be on the lookout for around then?

17. tstigz

tstigz Savant (315) Illinois Dec 6, 2010

I will be in the twin cities soon as well. How available is Surly Abrasive in the area? Would Blue Max or 4 Firkins typically have that in stock? I've been to both stores before and liked them both a lot.

18. djsmith1174

Probably not since it was released about 4 months ago and those are high traffic stores. You may find it in a smaller store though. Cue in the fresh IPA debate...

19. tstigz

tstigz Savant (315) Illinois Dec 6, 2010

Ah, I didn't know the release date. Thanks.

20. roostor07

roostor07 Savant (320) Minnesota Jul 24, 2012

If you're here in the next 2-3 weeks it shouldn't be a problem at all. They just did a canning run 2 weeks ago, and there was still plenty on the shelves before that.

21. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

I enjoy surly abrasive more than heady... so you should find some, and enjoy it.

22. That is the original release date they canned the last batch a couple of weeks ago.

23. PieOhMy

PieOhMy Advocate (505) Minnesota Feb 23, 2013

Crossroads Liquor in Shakopee still has Abrasive. Get your ass down there. Yes it is way down there, but shit, it's Abrasive!

24. Surly's Abrasive last canning date was 3/4, but if you find anything post 2/15 you are money until the end of April.
    FYI...if you see any without a date, don't hesitate to buy those - they are from around 2/21 - 2/28 (problem with the date machine). This is MN best beer, IMO.

Also, Pentagram is still available in most shops - but the price range is not very consistent (from $17 - $30).

Fulton's The Worthy Adversary (R.I.S.) & War & Peace (R.I.S. - Coffee) are rock solid stout offerings.

Steel Toe has very good beer - but limited distribution.

Indeed Brewing has a good following here as well, although I'm not their biggest fan.

You should be able to find most of these beers at either Four Firkins, Zipps, Liquor Barrel/Golden Valley, France 44, Blue Max - none of which is extremely close to MOA.

***Odell IPA is awesome, although not a MN brew - but not available in WI.

25. Lift Bridge Hop Dish is probably one of the better IPAs I've ever had.

26. last canning date was 03/04

27. dhannes

dhannes Savant (360) Wisconsin Feb 14, 2010

I'm in Madison, WI...we get Schell's and Summit here, at least some of their more popular styles.

28. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Advocate (530) Colorado Dec 19, 2010

Check out Surly, Town Hall, Indeed and Steel Toe.

Mnmaverick and teamwiggum like this.
  29. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Advocate (530) Colorado Dec 19, 2010

Abrasive, Furious, Darkness, Czar Jack, Masala Mama, Russian Roulette, Three Hour Tour, Midnight Ryder, Size 7. Top 9 beers that I've had?

30. djsmith1174

Didn't realize it was canned that late. Thanks for that information. OP may be in luck if he can find some on the shelves.

31. PieOhMy

PieOhMy Advocate (505) Minnesota Feb 23, 2013

Where are you seeing Worthy Adversary? I dig that beer, but I haven't seen it around for a while.

32. djsmith1174

Makes sense. Anything that you may not get distributed like the Stag Series mentioned above is worth trying.

33. Rizalini

Rizalini Savant (345) Nevada Jan 20, 2011

Totally agree with the Four Firkins! I stopped there on vacation, and I was like a kid in a candy shoppe! Southern Tier, Founders and Bells oh my!

Mnmaverick likes this.
  34. RowJimmy85

RowJimmy85 Aspirant (25) Minnesota Mar 24, 2013

Blue Max, Ale Jail and Four Firkins are your best options in the Twin Cities. Blue Max has an awesome selection but mostly six packs and bombers of local brews but are known for their singles of international brews. They typically are dialed in with the local distributors and are one of the first stores to get the latest and greatest. Other two stores have great but sometimes spendy selection of single us/midwest/international beers.....limited singles 12oz MN beers but good selection of six/four packs and bombers.

Surly Abrasive is spectacular but don't forget about the Furious! One of my favorites and is year-round!!!
    Other suggestions include:
    Summit Saga (west coast ipa)
    Schells Stout
    Steel Toe Size 7
    Fulton Worth Adversary & War and Peace (Tasty stout)

Harriet Brewing and Boom Island Brewing if you like Belgian's
    Flat Earth beers are pretty tasty too....
    Lift Bridge Hop Dish

Have fun shopping!!!!! :)

35. Forgot about this one - definite MN must have!

36. VDODSON

VDODSON Savant (310) North Dakota Feb 5, 2013

Surly Abrasive is my number one beer. A true hoplovers dream. When drinking one I tend to smell the glass several times before taking a sip, a truly fantastic DIPA.

37. runfoodrun

runfoodrun Savant (325) Minnesota Jun 18, 2008

Yes, but only kinda. They have some options for mixed sixes, but not like Ale Jail, Firkins, etc…they need to do so IMHO.

38. runfoodrun

You can find fresh Furious most places, and fresh Abrasive probably the 3/4 canning or fresher all around as well. There is a lot of Abrasive on the shelves, you may have to ask for the most recent canning as stores are trying to sell off what they have of course.

MGM in Eagan has the 3/4 canning, had to ask. Soooo gooood.

39. runfoodrun

For OP

Surly:
    Furious, Abrasive, Bender. Cynic is good too, and I've seen Hell on the shelves recently.

Indeed
    Day Tripper, Midnight Rider…great new brewery

Lift Bridge
    Commander Barley Wine…still on the shelves plenty of places. Hop Dish is solid.

Fulton
    War and Peach and Worthy Adversary …still on the shelves plenty of places

Town Hall
    they do very little wrong...

For bottle shops to hit:

Ale Jail, Four Firkins, Zipps, Heritage, Blue Max…for me the off the beaten path place is Booze Mart in West St. Paul, great stuff, often overlooked.

josephwa likes this.