Best MN readily available winter seasonal

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by ZAP, Dec 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZAP

ZAP Grand Pooh-Bah (3,964) Dec 1, 2001 Minnesota
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Lots to pick from....

I really like the Schell Fresh Hops Pils this year...drinks almost like an IPA but cleaner...I know this may not qualify as a winter seasonal but since I just got it for the first time and it is winter I included it...

Schell Snowstorm is a really good Minnesota brewed Belgian ale with a nice maltiness and not overdone with the spices...

Indeed Sit Crazy is a quality chocolate forward almost valentines like beer..

Schell August Bock is a quality beer that just does not match what I look for in blonde doppel... or maibock for that matter...just a personal thing...I prefer a deep bready maltiness but this does seem close to style...but a bit different with the hops...

My choice though is the Summit Biere de Grande...Perfect winter beer...very malty and rich with a lot of dark fruits mixed with burnt caramel/toffee and a hint of fresh baked biscuits.......just love this beer....definitely my choice for my winter seasonal....what is yours...

2. Pug

Pug Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2012 Minnesota

Indeed Stir Crazy is quite good, as is their Old Friend. I really only enjoy Indeed's winter beers, not sure why.

Summit Winter Ale is a solid annual release.

Those are the only real "winter seasonals" that I'm thinking of. I love me some Commander Barleywine, but despite when Lift Bridge releases it, I don't think of it as a "winter" beer. Also, it's not quite so readily available.

3. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2013 Iowa

Abrasive.

Hopsiam14 and Ish1 like this.
  4. Ish1

Ish1 Initiate (0) Feb 25, 2010 Minnesota

+1. I assume you are looking for a beer that comes out in the Winter season...and not a winter warmer. So, Abrasive wins!

5. MCImes

MCImes Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2010 Connecticut

My List
    1. Abrasive (duh)
    2. Stir crazy (almost like cacao bender - excellent)

(-not really a 'winter seasonal', but new to the TC market; Bent paddle black ale. I just tried this and love it. Its not too bitter like so many of the damn Black IPA's (worst 'new' style IMO). its dry enough to drink easily but not watery. I include this in my list because its new-ish to the TC market (thereby de facto winter-ish) and winter is the time for dark beer. Very good IMO.)

Also, I'd like to see an Imperial coffee bender, or imperial cacao bender for a winter treat. How good does that sound?

6. BarrelAgedBarry

BarrelAgedBarry Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2012 Minnesota

I love love love Cacao Bender but I was disappointed by Stir Crazy. I thought it was kind of bland.

7. JMN44

JMN44 Pundit (775) Sep 19, 2013 Minnesota

I didn't care for Stir Crazy either. I prefer Summit's Biere de Grande like the OP.

8. Ragnarok88

Ragnarok88 Initiate (0) May 30, 2013 Minnesota
    Deactivated

Schell's Bock. I want some now.

grantcty likes this.
  9. morimech

morimech Grand Pooh-Bah (3,779) Nov 6, 2006 Minnesota
    Pooh-Bah Society

I do like Summit Winter Ale. This years Snowstorm is growing on me as well. Still undecided about Stir Crazy.

10. Hopsiam14

Hopsiam14 Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2013 Minnesota

Abrasive all the way!

11. mjryan

mjryan Maven (1,485) Dec 22, 2007 Minnesota

Bent Paddles Black Ale isn't a black IPA or a CDA or any of those things. It's a dark roasty ale that falls neatly in the porter/stout category.

12. BarrelAgedBarry

BarrelAgedBarry Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2012 Minnesota

I'm still a Bent Paddle virgin. The Black Ale sounds like something I need to try.

13. MCImes

MCImes Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2010 Connecticut

Thats what im saying. A lot of the new dark beers are at a crappy intersection of IPA way and Malty street. I've had a hard time finding a common dark beer that really flips my cookie, especially in the porter category. Bent Paddle Black Ale is just right.

Also, I just had summit rebellion stout and have to say thats damn tasty too. Ive deceided I really like english malts and some English hops. Hopefully we see this one again in the future.

14. mjryan

mjryan Maven (1,485) Dec 22, 2007 Minnesota

Got ya. There seems to be a bit of confusion out there due to it being named Black Ale, which it seems many equate with black IPA. It is very good beer, as are their other offerings. Rebellion Stout is amazing.

15. bigdaddypolite

bigdaddypolite Maven (1,279) Mar 2, 2007 Minnesota
    Trader

This question is flawed. Everyone knows that any beers which are readily available can't be that good; otherwise, they would immediately be absorbed into the collective cellars of the beer-drinking public. It's like searching for arbitrage opportunities in a perfect market...

That said, my answer is Abrasive.

evilgenius1917 likes this.
  16. MN_Beerticker

MN_Beerticker Initiate (0) Jul 10, 2012 Minnesota

Saga!!! Err no wait "winter" beer? I have enjoyed Summit's Biere De Garde and also the Rebellion Stout. As far as winter regulars releases I am always a Snowstorm fan (some years more than others) and Summit Winter fan. Stir Crazy was good but I found it lacking midway through. At least the chocolate isn't cloying like Sam Smiths Organic Chocolate or Atwater Decadent. Had Old Friend last year and need to pick up a bottle of this year.

By far the best picks for me is Abrasive and Olvalde Ode.

17. ballenc

ballenc Zealot (609) Sep 17, 2006 Minnesota

Usually enjoy Schells Snowstorm every winter - Indeed Stir Crazy and Summit Rebellion Stout have been nice additions to the winter beer scene.

But I have been a fan of Lake Superior Brewing's Old Man Winter Warmer for a few years now (I haven't picked up this year's version yet but with the weather that's predicted over the next week or so, I see at least one 6 pack in the next few days).

18. bsp77

bsp77 Pooh-Bah (2,185) Apr 27, 2008 Minnesota
    Pooh-Bah Society

Summit Rebellion Stout. But it wasn't exactly readily available, which pisses me off. Summit better not start limiting supply to drive hype. We get enough of that shit from Founders, Goose Island and Deschutes.

19. Ol_Johnny_Skippelwicky

Ol_Johnny_Skippelwicky Initiate (0) Feb 13, 2013 Minnesota

No love for Chimney Sweep? Or Worthy Adversary?

I tried Stir Crazy for the first time recently and have to say it is my new favorite winter ale. Goddamn.

evilgenius1917 likes this.
  20. Doh-Kay

Doh-Kay Initiate (0) Oct 7, 2013 Minnesota

Go to the Bent Paddle taproom and try the the Cold Press Black Ale. It's fantastic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.