1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Best New England Beers

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by Avangion, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Avangion

Avangion Member

I'm going to Boston for the weekend and need to load up on locals before heading back to NYC. So I'm looking for great beers I can't get at home. Pretty Things is high on the list since they recently stopped distributing here. We can get Allagash, Maine Brewing Co., Long Trail, and White Birch. Probably others I'm not thinking of, though I don't think we get Wachusetts or Ipswich, for example.

What are you favorites from CT, RI, MA, NH, VT, and ME that I have a decent shot of acquiring while in the area? Regular favorites and seasonal rarities are cool.. doesn't have to be extremely sought after.
  2. HoyaSaxa7

HoyaSaxa7 Member

ipswich oatmeal stout is cheap and readily available (10/6 pack) and its a world class oatmeal stout. mayflower has a few goods beers, i like their porter a lot. if you can score something from jack abby (brewpub in framingham) definitely do that. i found four of their beers at whole foods the other day...
  3. brewbetter

brewbetter Member

4. FosterJM

FosterJM Member

Captain lawrence DIPA
    NEBCO Ghandi Bot
    Maine Brewing MO/Zoe/Peeper

Cheers!
  5. lucas1801

lucas1801 Member

The VT ones are obvious, RI try Grey Sail Flying Jenny, CT get Nebco, ME look for Oxbow and Marshall Wharf for MA as mentioned Jacks Abby and Pretty things. You also might want to have this moved to the New England forum.
  6. LambicKing

LambicKing Member

Too bad Ry(e)an Ale won't be around...great stuff. Give Cisco's Woods series a shot if you can find some. Maine's Lunch too.
  7. lucas1801

lucas1801 Member

Well I should add if you are drinking at brewpubs and what not as we'll, go to CBC they have some nice BA stuff right now.
    sandman3479 and FrankLloydMike like this.
  8. cavedave

cavedave Member

Not obvious, but delicious, Rising Tide Daymark, yummy goodness.
    smutty33, theo871, dciBA and 2 others like this.
  9. jbertsch

jbertsch Member

Don't go to Jack's Abby expecting a brewpub that someone noted above. It's just a brewery with free tastings. But I agree, pick up their beers, especially Hoponius Union.

+1 to Ipswich Oatmeal Stout

If you can find some Wormtown, they have consistent quality, and Be Hoppy is great when fresh.

Berkshire Brewing, I don't believe distributes to NY. Affordable bombers - try their Coffeehouse Porter.

Another mention for CBC's (Cambridge Brewing Company) bottles. I love their Bannatyne's Scotch Ale and Sgt. Pepper Saison.
    Dools9 and FrankLloydMike like this.
  10. Levich

Levich Member

If you can still find any Gritty McDuff's Christmas Ale, get some. It doesn't rate the highest, but I think it is because people are expecting a spiced Winter Warmer. It's a great well balanced ESB that is one of my favorites.
  11. willbm3

willbm3 Member

Cambridge Brewing Company
    Wachusett can be hit or miss, but I like their Winter Ale
    Harpoon (you probably get it in NY, but if not...)
  12. LeRose

LeRose Member

Jacks Abby Smoke and Dagger, Saxonator, Lashes, Hoponius Union. I think Kiwi Rising is all done...hope they make it again cuz I missed it. Saxonator kinda scarce, too, come to think of it.

Clown Shoes - Blaecorn Unidragon (have not tried the Porcine Uni) and Vampire Slayer. Their web site distribution thing skips NYC by the looks.

Pretty Things is irregular even where I am on the south shore about 45 miles out for town. Haven't seen the full current line up anywhere I've been.

Cisco to me is so-so. You must get Smuttynose in NY? Blue Hills and Wachusett - meh, mostly. My son (beer guy for a very small store) likes some of the Offshore Ales - I have something of theirs yet to try. Opa Opa is all over the place, hot and cold on the products. Backlash - meh. Newport Storm (Coastal Extreme Brewing) I don't care for. Up and comer might be Idle Hands - Triplication is pretty good from my notes should be around a four or so, pretty well distributed around greater Boston. It is the only bottled stuff I have seen/had of theirs. Mayflower - don't know much about yet, but have heard some good things. I am not a Harpoon fan either.

This store is in Belmont, MA...lists brewers they carry by state http://nocrapbeer.com/craftbeercellar/ma/belmont/beers.php?sort=state. Pretty good list but not all-inclusive. Oh they do have Cambridge Brewing Company - that would be good.

Weekend...hmmm...lot of area to cover in a short time. Tullys is a little too far in the wrong direction up Maine, but Julio's in Westboro, MA you might be able to work into the route if you aren't a hurry, well, either direction. Kappy's has at least two stores near Boston...they are a pretty big chain, kinda warehouse. There is a Wines and More just south of Providence...find you do need to check dates there, staff is spotty, inventory is pretty big and pretty diverse but some conspicuous absences. But it is only ten minutes off 95S..getting back on can be a bitch.
  13. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Member

Another vote for Jack's Abby. Cambridge Brewing's "Audacity of Hops" is another good one. There was a pretty good supply of Pretty Things' latest "Once Upon a Time" series today at Redstone Liquors (right off 93/95 in Stoneham) - most friendly and helpful staff ever (thought the ladies in Belmont are great too)

As above, Idle Hands is a new up and comer (I think their Triplication took a silver at GABF) - definitely pick some up if you like Belgians.
    Ganglani likes this.
  14. HipsterBrewfus

HipsterBrewfus Member

ZOMG HEADY TOPPERZ
  15. HipsterBrewfus

HipsterBrewfus Member

Someone had mentioned Berkshire and I second that. Cheap bombers, a ton of different kind of brews and they so far, have all been fantastic.

New England Brewing company makes a few great beers, Ghandi Bot, 668, Fuzzy Baby Ducks and Imperial Storm Trooper come to mind.

A hard to find nano brewery in CT, Relic Brewing makes some very unique brews, and they are fantastic. And I've happened to strike up a good friendship with the owner.

New England has a ton of great breweries
  16. Dools9

Dools9 Member

Anything from Jack's Abby, Berkshire's Coffeehouse Porter, Mayflower Brewing's Porter, Ipswich Oatmeal Stout (world class oatmeal stout imo), anything from Pretty Things, Wachusett Larry DIPA, Wormtown in Worcester, MA thier Be Hoppy+Sweet Tatz. I'm sure theres plenty more but these are some to checkout. Not sure if you get Baxter Brewing Co out of Maine but thier Stowaway IPA and Winter Punch Stout are both solid and worth checking out.
  17. keysburg

keysburg Member

No one has mentioned Night Shift - they are a bit pricey but if you like sours or high concept beers its worth tracking down. Or swing by the the brewery in Everett to taste and chat with the owners.
  18. dunix

dunix Member

Ipswich should be available in Boston.

+1 to Jack's Abby and Rising Tide. Rising Tide's Atlantis is an amazing black/smoked ale that people who hate smoked beers would probably enjoy.

You won't find any of the VT beers down there that are good (Heady, HF, Lawson's), nor will you find Oxbow.
  19. beeeeeeeeeeeer

beeeeeeeeeeeer Member

Absolutely anything from Jack's Abby or Clown Shoes (especially their stouts and).
  20. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer Member

I'd caution about getting "anything" from Jack's Abby. Now that the beers have been ticked by most geeks they are beginning to languish somewhat at package stores. Hoponius Union is a nice beer under ~ 3 weeks or so but really falls off a cliff quickly
    Also seems like some of their seasonals sit around too...so be sure to check the bottle dates.

Ipswich Oatmeal Stout is a top-notch beer IMO & is widely available. Smuttynose big bottles are good, easy to find & priced reasonably too.

Mystic does a decent job with cork-n-caged Saisons if you're into that sort of thing.
  21. Avangion

Avangion Member

Thanks for your advice, everyone. I wound up stumbling into a fairly nice haul at a store with a cellaring program, so I was able to get many of the things recommended here and also some great aged items. I hope the Jacks Abby I picked up is fresh, now! Going to White Birch today for a tasting, so I'm pretty excited about that. Tried to hit up Relic in CT, but they're only open two days a week when I can't go. So next time!
  22. FrankLloydMike

FrankLloydMike Member

Sounds like you've made out well so far. Enjoy the tasting at White Birch--the guys there are great and the tastings generous. I've been really impressed by many of their darker beers especially lately--the Ol Catttywhompus, Mabon, Tavern and so on.

I'm probably too late to catch you, but there was a thread about the Manchester area recently that might be of interest while you're up there. If you're already up there and looking for lunch or dinner, I'd really recommend Republic (excellent Mediterranean-inspired food, with a more limited beer list including some solid local options), Firefly (high-end comfort food and bistro staples, with a very nice little tap list) and River Road Tavern (short but very good menu, with a ever-rotating tap list and long bottle list). I'm not sure if they do tastings, but you could also swing by Candia Road Brewing/Nepenthe Ales in east Manchester. Their stout is very good, as have been their pale ales and IPAs that I've tried.
  23. WeymouthMike

WeymouthMike Member

Have to agree with this, just picked up a 4 pack that was nothing like the previous I bought, it's like Massachusetts less expensive version of Lunch.
  24. jamvt

jamvt Member

i prefer hoponius union to lunch regardless of the price.
    commis likes this.
  25. BleepBloopBlap

BleepBloopBlap Member

Trying to pick out things people haven't really pointed out. I really like the Berkshire River Ale. Tasty and cheap ($4.50 bomber). Night shift viva habanera is a fun beer too. Pretty Things' Our finest regards is a nice local, big barleywine. I also really enjoyed Mystic's Day of Doom quad

Enjoy!
  26. Horbar

Horbar Member

Definitely agree with you on the Hoponius. For me, it's a drainpour when not fresh.

However, the best beers in New England, reside in Vermont.
  27. WanderingFool

WanderingFool Member

Ipswich Rye Porter is a new beer by them and it's delicious.

I didn't see anyone mention beers from The Tap. Their Joshua Norton Imperial Stout is great.
  28. slangtruth

slangtruth Member

This is true and unfortunately self-perpetuating. I was in a store today and saw some HU and might have bought it, but it was bottled in October. They also still had Kiwi, which didn't fly off the shelf at $5 a bottle but is long in the tooth and definitely not worth it by now, and others including Mom and Pop's. What all this means is that I'm not going to be able to get fresh HU this Summer at all unless I'm near Boston where it moves faster.
  29. nuggetman

nuggetman Member

I will repeat a couple and say idle hands, nightshift, mystic, Cambridge brewing company, enlightenment, and backlash. All are really small (some bigger than others) and have some solid complex beers that are worth trying! Cheers!
    masterob8 likes this.