Best of the Week in Aus

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by heygeebee, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Folks - the Bros have requested no more 'general' threads a la WWTW Pts 1 and 2, so I though why not start a thread to discuss 'finds' of the past week in these shores.

Highlights for me were La Sirene Saison - excellent example of style, and also to Bridge Rd / Nogne 0 India Saison on tap.
    My 'uncertain' award went to Angry Man Pale in a bottle for the first time - not sure what happened to Nirvana, but this does seem to be lacking something. Bottle was not dated so freshness may have been an issue.

Cheers,

2. What the? Are conversations going to be dictated for us then?

3. danieelol

danieelol Advocate (510) Australia Jun 15, 2010

WWTW format is good

4. I know that - you know that, and, ah-hem, the actual subject of this thread isn't toooo dissimilar to WWTW... ;)

5. MrKennedy

MrKennedy Advocate (610) Australia Dec 29, 2006

The preference as I understand it is for general topics to not be in regional forums...use Beer Talk instead.

6. so nobody wants to talk about Lion buying Emerson's in NZ? Or that Murray's is looking for a new brewer?
    There is always untapped to say " I had beer A or beer B and it was good"

spicelab likes this.
  7. danieelol

I didn't even know about either of those happenings

8. methinks that particularly the first of those comments deserves a topic by itself... however as I seem to be starting most of the topics round here these days recently, I thought I'd give someone else a chance :D

Was also interested, as it is an A/NZ forum, on the genuine level of interest form what are mainly Aus BAs.

Cheers!

9. How does this need a topic?? We all know that La Sirene is just decent. Across the board the imports are better and more creative. Black IPA aside.

10. Lukie

Lukie Savant (425) Australia Jun 16, 2007

By decent, do you actually mean superb?

11. danieelol

I haven't had it yet but it has pretty good ratings...

12. Average, mate, average

13. Lukie

I think it is a world class beer and Costa deserves much respect.

14. too carbonated, my friend, too carbonated

15. I don't like La Sirene, but I'd happily agree it's a fantastic beer. Not my preference for a saison. I actually prefer american takes on the style, and a well treated dupont.

This week, as is the case with every week that I have this beer, the best has been Kooinda Black IPA. Far out, that combination of ashy dark malt and zesty, vinous Nelson Sauvin is an absolute winner!

16. danieelol

I would still be buying Kooinda Black IPA very frequently if it actually showed up near me anymore. Superb beer.

17. Lukie

We have had far too many bad batches of Kooinda BIPA. Murky poo coloured and onion tasting.

18. Seriously?? I agree with Lukie, La Sirene is world class for sure

19. spicelab

spicelab Savant (435) Australia Nov 6, 2009

I found it very pleasant but lacking the rustic, yeast-related complexity I love in Saisons.

As for being highly carbonated - what Belgian styles aren't?

20. dgilks

dgilks Advocate (685) Australia Jul 14, 2008

This.

21. Yuk - just had a Red Hill Temptation. Flat as... bad bottle ... sheeesh......

22. danieelol

Is that the normal or Barreled version?

23. I hesitate to use the word 'normal' as it was anything but :eek: - but certainly the 'original'.....

24. MrKennedy

Redoak have a new, well as far as i'm aware, sour on the menu. Chateau Sour - $12 for a 330ml bottle...on-premise only. One of the more deliberately sour Aussie beers i've had, bit of plum and cherry happening...with the sourness it took a while to drink, almost as long as it took to get served.

25. danieelol

worth trying?

26. MrKennedy

Yeah, even worth it just to hear the bar girl pronounce Chateau back at you after ordering one.

brendanos likes this.
  27. so was the visit to Redoak for old times sake, or you took the wrong turn looking for the Baxter Inn?

28. MrKennedy

Was going to Pack & Send next door to pick up a shipper for the BIF and saw they had the Chateau Sour on the menu.

spicelab likes this.