1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Best Old Ale

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by dmb2890, Mar 20, 2013.

1. dmb2890

dmb2890 Aficionado (115) Indiana Sep 26, 2011

Was at Kuhnhen last week and enjoyed their Fourth Dementia old ale, most likely my favorite non-barrel aged old ale. What are your favorites?
    BierGartenok and josephwa like this.
  2. Hair of the Dog ADAM

Easily the best non barrel aged old ale I've had.
  3. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Savant (385) California Dec 21, 2011

HotD Adam or 4D get my vote. Both are stellar.
    HopsHopenstein likes this.
  4. MrKennedy

MrKennedy Advocate (610) Australia Dec 29, 2006

Its retired, but Eldridge Pope Thomas Hardy's Ale for me
  5. Adam. However, I do love some Founders Curmudgeon and North coast Old Stock.
  6. Trevor

Trevor Aspirant (40) Oregon Mar 1, 2012

HOTD Adam hands down.
  7. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

The best I've ever had was Kuhnhenn Bourbon Barrel Fourth Dementia.

That stuff is just amazing.

Founders Old Curmudgeon is probably my favorite non-barrel aged old ale (as well as regular 4D).

I hear a lot of great things about Adam from the Wood too... but I haven't had the chance to try it.
  8. Etan

Etan Advocate (745) Wisconsin Jul 11, 2011

Cherry Adam from the Wood is my highest-rated old ale on this site. But considering nothing really distinguishes an old ale from a barleywine besides what the brewer decides to call the beer in the end, I have higher-rated barleywines.
  9. Oh so true. Like how FFF calls zombie dust a "pale ale". Derp
    Sneers and Etan like this.
  10. The Bruery's anniversary beers are categorized as old ales and I personally think that those beers (at least cuir and fruet) kick some old ale ass.
    homebrewer88 likes this.
  11. HotD Adam for the win! All other Old Ales are inferior. As far as a non-barrel aged old ale goes...
  12. Old ale is old ale because it's aged, right? Like Thomas Hardys was an old ale because it spent 9 months on oak before bottling, right?
  13. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

Hair of the Dog Adam and Thomas Hardy are my top two.
  14. Aged Founders Curmudgeon and North Coast Old Stock are magical. Miss me some Thomas Hardy's as well.

Also have a soft spot for Old Tom and Theakston's Old Peculier.

The accidentally-Brettified 2011 (enjoyed late 2012) Figgy Pudding from Block 15 was stellar as well, though the beer was perhaps not what was intended upon release.
    Premo88 and cavedave like this.
  15. Adam is really good.

But I think Billy the Mountain is my favorite. I wish I could get some more of that.
  16. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

BA4D or 100% BA Cuir are the first two that come to my mind.
    ChiTownPackFan likes this.
  17. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (615) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

Fuller's Vintage Ale
  18. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Savant (425) Texas Nov 21, 2008

Fuller's Vintage Ale - great to drink on release and ages well for a few years
    tronester and kwakwhore like this.
  19. 'Probably not' is the best answer to your question, although historically this style was aged, thus its name. I think some examples in this style are aged nowadays, but many are 'probably not' in the brewer's haste to get the beer to market. http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style/79

To the OP: I'll add Arcadia's Big Dick's Old Ale to the list. It's not widely distributed, but worth seeking out.
  20. Adam & Curmudgeon's
    e30todamax likes this.
  21. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

4d is my favorite by far. I have had better cellared old ales, but I can't wait 5-10 years everytime I want a beer.
    Marti403 likes this.
  22. braugon

braugon Savant (355) Connecticut Mar 14, 2013

23. You crazy
  24. KWMiles

KWMiles Initiate (0) Minnesota Oct 23, 2012

Bell's Third Coast is mighty tasty.
  25. Olde Suffolk and Olde Peculiar. Both are on my all time favorite beer list and I wish more breweries would emulate them. Cooper's Vintage and Haverstion Old Engine Oil gets honorable mention.
    Zimbo likes this.
  26. YaKnowBrady

YaKnowBrady Initiate (0) New Jersey Jul 23, 2010

North Coast Old Stock. Extra points for availability.
    RattleheadKV2, Handle, Zimbo and 6 others like this.
  27. ao125

ao125 Savant (335) Virginia Dec 1, 2010

Knocked back a 2011 4D over the weekend and it was fantastic - though not nearly as fantastic as Fruet.
  28. SpeedwayJim

SpeedwayJim Advocate (700) New York Jun 19, 2009

29. BeerKangaroo

BeerKangaroo Initiate (0) Alaska May 30, 2011

Best one I`ve had so far is Smuttynose`s Really Old Brown Dog, but then again there`s a lot of supposedly really good old ales that I haven't had yet.
  30. Andygirl

Crazy for liking 4d or for cellared old ales? Both seem pretty sane to me.
  31. mmikey8

mmikey8 Savant (270) California Aug 2, 2012

32. I was being sarcastic about your not wanting to wait 5 to 10 years every time you want a beer.
  33. TheBrewo

TheBrewo Advocate (645) Michigan Nov 11, 2010

For something entirely different, I very much enjoyed Nissefar by HaandBryggeriet when I had it on tap about a year ago.
  34. Andygirl

Ah, sorry.
  35. ThickNStout

ThickNStout Savant (495) Georgia Mar 8, 2011

It's been mentioned. But Bruery's Fruet by far exceeds every other old ale I've tried.
    I enjoy the occasional Old Ale but it's not a go-to style of mine. That said, Fruet is one of the best 5 beers I've ever had. Phenominal.
    fujindemon74 and ChanChan like this.
  36. The first time I had Kuhnhenn's regular 4D it was from the 2004 batch. It was phenomenal, the beer that got me into looking for Old Ales. For the past few years though the normal version has been too sweet in my opinion. I love sweet beers, really for an old ale or barleywine I feel like the beer needs the sweetness, but recent 4D has been too much, like cloyingly sweet and hard to drink. I disliked past years enough I didn't even try any of the normal variety this year.

The BA 4D on the other hand is an almost perfect beer.

I love Bell's Third Coast Old Ale... but it's listed as a barleywine on this site...

To me Curmudgeon is overrated, I don't think it's that great of a beer.
  37. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (555) California Dec 12, 2009

Non barrel aged:
    Adam
    Fourth Dementia (4D)

Barrel aged: I wouldn't know, I haven't had the pleasure :(
  38. Bobby McGee's OldTimer Old Ale is good stuff.
  39. Kuhnhenn is king.

HOTD, Bruery, and Founders are all capable of making good Old Ales, but they're just not in the same league as Kuhnhenn.
    Marti403 and Benny3000 like this.
  40. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (555) California Dec 12, 2009

I just realized I have this in the cellar. I can't wait to crack it open!!! :)
    fujindemon74 likes this.