Dismiss Notice
Save $5 when you subscribe to 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine by selecting auto-renew.

Subscribe now →
Dismiss Notice
Join Our Email List →

And we'll send you the latest updates and offers from BeerAdvocate, because knowing is half the battle.
Dismiss Notice

Pre-order your Respect Beer "Hipster" Hoodie today!

Plus: Free shipping (US only) on orders of $25 or more until 12/18/15. Just select "Free Shipping" at checkout.

Shop now →

Best place to buy hard to find beers in Orange County?

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by GetMeAnIPA, Jan 15, 2013.

1. I frequent Total Wine and Bevmo but they don't seem to carry to many unique beers or the hard to find beers.
  2. dcgunman

dcgunman Savant (460) California Jul 1, 2009 Verified

Hi-Time's in Costa Mesa.
    Callmecoon likes this.
  3. The Bruery Provis--oh wait
    CA_Jim, jtmartino, Callmecoon and 2 others like this.
  4. sirtomtom

sirtomtom Savant (260) California Dec 10, 2010

5. mrcraft

mrcraft Champion (990) California Dec 15, 2012 Verified

I also recommend Hi-Time in Costa Mesa. I was there last Friday, and did a review if you're interested in reading it. You can read reviews from others as well.

You're not going to find Three Floyds, Hill Farmstead, etc., but they do carry more "harder to find" beers than Total Wine or BevMo. For me, they sell singles, which is a big plus. From what I hear, they sometimes store their better stuff in the back, so you might want to ask if you don't find something you're interested in.

I have to try out Hacienda Beverage. I found one bottle of Alpine at Hi-Time, but I'd like to try some of their better stuff, and sounds like Hacienda might have them.
  6. dcgunman

Haven't been to Hacienda Bev yet. But Hi-Times used to get Duet, Nelson or Pure in one case at a time. But it's getting less and less these days. Mr Kegs would get Alpine once in a blue moon too. But these days it's very unlikely. Some of the Whole Foods in OC would also see Alpine's IPA's once in a blue moon. I'll make the drive to Alpine 4 times a year to get my IPA fix.
  7. mrcraft

Yeah, I should plan a trip to Alpine soon. I was actually looking at their pub menu last night.
  8. dcgunman

The bbq is top notch. Visit the brewpub for grub and beer by the pint. Then walk ten steps over to buy bottles and growler fills. Brewery is closed Sun and Mon. The brewpub is closed on Mon. Plan accordingly! As a matter of fact I ran out of my Alpine stash. I'll be visiting Alpine sometime in the near future to restock, after I visit Kern River.
  9. Hilltop Liquor in Huntington Beach. Mr. K's in Placentia
  10. When it re-opens.... Monarch Beach market in South County. They can be slightly over priced at times, but will have some keepers also. My dad informed me that they are renovating, or doing some work, but they are scheduled to open back up in February.

pro tip: Buy some good beer, and if you aren't from the area, drive a mile down the street to salt creek for a sunset at the top of the hill. If you are feeling adventurous.... put it in a road soda container and enjoy said beer during sunset.
  11. Check out the Bruery's tasting room and join the Reserve Society.
  12. Stearns in Long Beach, not OC but close. Whole Foods do pretty good too, gotta ask for everything in the back. Vendome Fullerton is legit too.
  13. Thanks for the info. If hi-times has Alpine occasionally I'll have to make a trip for sure. Good sign they may have something the big retail stores don't.

A San Diego brewery trip would be awesome. Hit up alpine, stone and Avery. Could probably do that in a day if I got a good DD.
  14. If you go to stone you should also hit up Abbey in San Marcos
  15. radium

radium Aficionado (190) California Feb 17, 2010 Verified

If you're asking where the treasure is hidden, you're not searching hard enough.

And Avery is in Boulder, CO, not San Diego, CA.
    CA_Jim likes this.
  16. Maybe his DD drives reallllly fast!
  17. jtmartino

jtmartino Advocate (515) California Dec 11, 2010 Verified

Shit I came into this thread to make that same lame-ass joke, but you beat me to it. Well done.
    UnknownKoger likes this.
  18. jtmartino

jtmartino Advocate (515) California Dec 11, 2010 Verified

Yeah, it's a little late for that.
  19. miadw3

miadw3 Aficionado (240) California Mar 17, 2009

Hi-Time in Costa Mesa is great, but I'll second the statement regarding asking as they often keep limited beers in the back.
  20. RedBeeron

RedBeeron Savant (260) California Jul 7, 2012

How often do limited beers last in the back at hi times? Haven't hit them up yet, but they aren't too far from my work. Do I need to know a codeword/secret handshake? :p
  21. jpeck13

jpeck13 Aficionado (150) California Apr 28, 2011

They don't last long in the back. A few years ago it used to be a lot easier to get "rare" beer at Hi-times. They just sell out of it so fast. I remember when they used to put Duet out on the shelves. Now, they don't even put out Just Outstanding. It's a bummer, but that's what happens when you run a business right(You sell a lot of beer). It just so happens that it means that I can't get "rare" beer as easily anymore. :( That being said, their selection of beer is awesome, and the staff (Alex) are very knowledgeable too. Definitely still worth stopping by.
    baybassboy likes this.
  22. Hola Amigos! im from hacienda beverage :)
    if youre looking for alpine, we do get it in ever so often. but usually a case of something (duet, nelson, pure hoppiness) and once it is posted on facebook, its gone within hours. the others like stout, willy, alpine ale, or red usually last about a week.

El_Chupahueso, sirtomtom and dcgunman like this.
  23. mrcraft

I visited your shop for the first time last night and asked about Alpine too.

Hey, I saw photos of Hopslam, BCBS, Coffee Bender and Wisconsin Ale on your webpage. I forgot to ask yesterday. Did you have them in stock, at some point, as well?

You have a nice place. Looks like I need to follow your Facebook page regularly. Or, do you have an email list to send out email blasts when hard to find beers come in?
  24. sorry i dont have an email list, just facebook (/haciendabev) and instagram (choobacca_haciendabev) for now.

most of the non distributed brews are from own trade collection, randomly, i will bring some things out and put them on the shelves so people can try them, but i dont post those.

hopefully bcbs comes in march
    Rollzroyce21 and blguillen like this.
  25. lmchalmers

lmchalmers Zealot (80) California Jan 15, 2013 Verified

I work at Trader Joe's in Brea around the corner from Hacienda Beverage. Made my first trip there last week after hearing about it from a co-worker and spent over $90 in under 20 minutes. haha He's got some great stuff in his collection. I can't wait to go back in a week or so when all of this is finished! Thanks, Frank!
  26. sirtomtom

sirtomtom Savant (260) California Dec 10, 2010

Welcome to the club.
  27. baybassboy

baybassboy Savant (390) California Feb 23, 2011

I also gotta recommend Korker Liquor in Corona Del Mar. Not the biggest selection in the world, but they always try and get some of the more limited releases and it doesnt get hammered like many of the more popular spots

choobaccaHB likes this.
  28. jpaulsen

jpaulsen Savant (285) California Dec 6, 2010 Verified

O'Shea's in Laguna Niguel.
  29. wholefoods market in newport beach. they have an aisle of craft beers
    follow them on instagram @wfmspecialty for latest beers they have on hand
    beerman4 likes this.