1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Best Porters

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by VncentLIFE, Feb 14, 2013.

1. elgiacomo

elgiacomo Savant (450) Georgia Jun 28, 2007

Founders Porter & Smuttynose Robust Porter are my two favorites, giving Founders a slight edge.

For Baltic/Imperial Porters:
    - Smuttynose Baltic Porter
    - Duck-Rabbit Baltic Porter (this latest batch is fantastic)
    - Sinebrychoff Porter
    - Ballast Point Victory At Sea
    - Olfabrikken Porter (if you can find any, don't think they're around anymore)
    FatBoyGotSwagger likes this.
  2. I enjoy Alaskan Baltic Porter, Alaskan Smoked Porter, Gonzo, Victory at Sea.

Stone smoked porter ain't bad either
    dianimal likes this.
  3. stealth

stealth Advocate (535) Minnesota Dec 16, 2011

I feel like there's something wrong with me because I love porters, but absolutely despise Edmund Fitzgerald (and pretty much every great lakes brew Ive tried).

My votes go for Fullers London Porter, Black Butte, Original Flag Porter, Smuttynose Robust, Taddy Porter, Founders Porter
    Cyrano41 likes this.
  4. ColdPoncho

ColdPoncho Savant (455) Ohio Jan 9, 2009

I have to agree with Ed Fitz as #1...I have loved that beer for as long as I've known it, and I will give props to Founders and Mayflower, those are also two very good porters. I believe I read someone say something about the FW porter. That's a shitty beer.
  5. Anchor Porter and Samuel Smith Taddy Porter are too top notch brews. Especially Anchor, unique and dank as shit brah.
    ufmj likes this.
  6. 1. founders porter
    2. black butte
    3. stone smoked

edmund fitzgerald: overrated, thin bodied boring. just IMO :)
  7. Samuel Adams Maple Pecan Porter surpassed my expectations. No Ed Fitzy, but for what it was, I really enjoyed it.
    tmm313 likes this.
  8. Jason311

Jason311 Aficionado (105) Virginia Dec 18, 2012

I also enjoy Breckenridge Vanilla Porter
    Kerrie likes this.
  9. Lots of good choices listed here and I'd have trouble ranking my favorites. Not as big a fan of the very popular Eddy Fitz or Black Butte. In no particular order"

HF Everett
    Anchor Porter
    Founders
    Victory at Sea
    Alaskan Smoked
    Maui Coconut
    Firestone Walker

Surprised no one's mentioned Alpha Klaus yet, it's a good one. Oh, and Jose Marti is excellent; Duck Rabbit is somewhat unheralded, and Stovepipe from Otter Creek is underrated. As is Wolaver's Alta Gracia.

Imperial Biscotti Break is technically a porter and technically delicious. Willoughby Peanut Butter Cup Porter, Mikeller's BA Texas Ranger...jeez there's a lot of good ones. And I still haven't cracked my lone bottles of Birth of Tragedy and Twilight of the Idols.
  10. ledzeppelin4

ledzeppelin4 Savant (365) Illinois May 18, 2011

I agree with the Edmund Fitzgerald statement. (Looks like you have a companion with you at the gallows pole lol). And the porters you listed are great as well (though I would replace the stone with fullers.)
  11. Michigan

Michigan Initiate (0) Michigan Oct 24, 2012

I'll toss in Short's Publican Porter. One of my favorite's!

And Barrel Aged Shipwreck Porter from Arcadia
  12. ledzeppelin4

ledzeppelin4 Savant (365) Illinois May 18, 2011

Why hasn't Barrel Aged Gonzo been mentioned? (Also according to this site that brew is now "retired". FML. )
    jRocco2021 likes this.
  13. jman005

jman005 Savant (460) Kentucky Jan 21, 2013

I agree with Edmund Fitzgerald 100%. but Sixpoint 3Beans Baltic Porter is excellent too.
    creal92 and ufmj like this.
  14. KelsoSaaz

KelsoSaaz Savant (255) Connecticut Jan 24, 2013

IMO Best:
    American Porters: Edmund Fitzgerald, then Anchor
    English Porters: Samuel Smith Taddy, Fuller's
  15. colonel_bathtub

colonel_bathtub Aspirant (30) Feb 13, 2013

Yup, Cut Throat is great. As for another solid, unlimited release porter not yet mentioned, shout out to Eugene from Revolution.
  16. As porters and stouts became inseparable a long time ago (except in the minds of some guide writers) it's as well to include stouts in the mix.All stouts of course are de facto porters anyway.
  17. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

Rouge makes some.good beers. No hate from me.
    BB1313 likes this.
  18. diamondc

diamondc Savant (320) Texas May 30, 2006

Meantime London Porter ... very best I've tasted, it's just so darn expensive.
    dianimal, Andygirl and beerserks like this.
  19. bismarksays

bismarksays Savant (435) Iowa Dec 7, 2008

Founder's Porter
    Edmund Fitzgerald
    Smuttynose Robust Porter

I was really let down by Black Butte. It was just not in the same class at all for the three I have listed above. Honestly, I would rather have a Bell's Porter, a Sam Smith Taddy, or a Rogue Mocha.
    mecummins likes this.
  20. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (395) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

In no particular order.

1) Silver Creek Baltic Porter
    2) O'so Night Train
    3) Black Boss Porter
    4) Deshutes Black Butte
    5) Tyrannena "The Devil Made Me do it" (technically an imperial coffee porter but I put it on any list I can with the word "best" in it)
    6) Flying Dog Gonzo (again not a normal porter but it'd be a crime not to put it on the list)
    7) Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald
  21. Victory Baltic Thunder
    Founders Porter
    Zywiec
    Naragannsett Porter
    V@S
    Black Boss
  22. bruery smoking wood
  23. Crusader

Crusader Savant (345) Sweden Feb 4, 2011

Anchor Porter was terrific the one time I had it, a couple of years ago by now but given the solid quality of Anchor's other beers I've had since I can't imagine it being a let down. Fuller's London Porter is easily accessible here and it's my go-to porter, it's got everything I want from the style. I think both of those top a beer like Flying Dog Gonzo and prove that it isn't necessary for a beer to be "imperial" strenght to be delicious.
  24. beerserks

beerserks Savant (290) Texas Oct 19, 2010

From my favorites that I've had are, Deshutes Black Butte, Odell Cutthroat, Sam Smith Taddy, SN Porter, Anchor, Rogue Mocha, Alaskan Smoked, and Maui Coconut. Hell theres probably some I'm missing I'm sure. I haven't had the pleasure of trying Edmund Fitz, Founders, or even Victory at Sea. But I know I'd definitely love them, Porter is one of the first styles that got me into craft! Cheers to them!
  25. That is easy. Topless Wytch by 3 Floyds and Victory at Sea by Ballast Point. End of story!
  26. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Savant (260) Illinois Apr 4, 2007

I actually prefer Founders and Anchor Porter over Edmund Fitzgerald.
    IamMe90 likes this.
  27. Brenden

Brenden Champion (785) Ohio Feb 25, 2008

Thank you for all of this, except that, yes, you should revisit Smuttynose. Fantastic stuff.
    BB1313 likes this.
  28. socon67

socon67 Advocate (600) New York Jun 18, 2010

Edmunnd Fitz and Founders Porter are the standard that I judge all good porters by.
  29. nc41

nc41 Advocate (600) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

A 2nd on Foothills BA Peoples Porter, I drank cases of bombers last year.
  30. Waiting for the inevitable

"(name of beer) /end thread."
  31. joeebbs

joeebbs Savant (360) Pennsylvania Apr 29, 2009

I had a Dogfish Head Chicory Stout the other day and that was very enjoyable.
  32. Hockey_Fan

Hockey_Fan Advocate (510) Maryland Jan 13, 2013

Anchor Porter! I remember the first one I ever had; it was one of those "holy shit!" experiences.
  33. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

Everyone should try Wolavers Alta Gracia Coffee Porter. Amazing porter. Beyond that, my faves are Fullers and Eddy Fitz.
  34. Gotta throw shipyard out there. I remember being pleasantly surprised by that one.
  35. HF Everett Porter
    Maine Beer Co. Titus
    Smuttynose Robust Porter
    Deschutes Black Butte
  36. Three come to mind-

George Washington tavern from Yards
    Gonzo from Flying Dog
    Annchor Porter

oh, and Stovepipe from Otter Creek. 4.
  37. Oh and tsarina esra was pretty great
  38. My favorites:
    HF Everett
    Olfabrikken Porter (I stocked up on this before it left shelves)
    Founders Porter
    Bell's Porter
    Edmund Fitz
    Yazoo Sue
    Smuttynose Baltic Porter
  39. Drew26

Drew26 Savant (295) Wisconsin Nov 2, 2012

Founders Porter...also, a local I know, but Central Waters Mudpuppy Porter is very good.
  40. Everett.. & Victory at Sea.