1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Best Porters

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by VncentLIFE, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Looks like I need to revisit both Mayflower and Smuttynose Robust - both were disappointing and I haven't gone back in at least a year. Though I recently revisited Smuttynose 'Finest Kind' IPA and learned again that I think it is foul.

For me it i:
    Everett
    Founders
    Victory at Sea
    Black Butte

2. More people need to try Maine Beer's King Titus, that shit blew my mind.

BeerKangaroo and ufmj like this.
  3. woodsyy

woodsyy Aficionado (125) Georgia Feb 11, 2012

Revolution brewing Eugene is a pretty well-rounded porter

chanokokoro and mecummins like this.
  4. tdmccarthy

tdmccarthy Savant (445) Illinois May 6, 2010

In no particular order I always have one or two of these in my fridge at all times:

Bells Porter
    Founders Porter
    GL Edmund Fitzgerald
    SN Porter
    Anchor Porter
    Boulevard Bully Porter

I've recently tried Deshutes Black Butt. It's solid and I'll pick it up once in a while, but I'd probably put it slightly below the others I've listed here. Same with Smuttynose Robust Porter. I hadn't had the Anchor for a while but picked up a 6 pack the other day. I had forgotten how much I like that beer.

5. Idealgiant

Idealgiant Initiate (15) Feb 14, 2013

I have to agree that Eddie Fitzgerald will always be a no brainier go to for me. It was the first Porter I tried and loved. My absolute favorite Porter of all is from Jackie O's brewery in Athens, OH. It's called Drawn and Portered. I would throw rocks at my grandma for a pint of that stuff. They also occasionally do a Smoked and Portered, as we'll as a Drawn and Nitro'ed. Both of which are also amazing.

However, (and I'm glad to see others mention this brew too) due to its availability in cans and the well rounded flavor and quality of the beer, I think that Revolution's Eugene Porter will probably be by go to porta-Porter. We do a ton of camping and whitewater rafting, therefore quality beer in cans gets extra points in our house.

6. Eddie Fitz
    Odell's Cutthroat
    Alpha Klaus

7. I am a fan of Edmund Fitz and Black Butte, but Founders is by more than a nose my favorite. Underrated beers in the category for me are SN and Bell's. Having been impressed with everything from Smuttynose that I have tried, I'll have to pick up the Robust Porter sometime.

8. garuda

garuda Savant (485) Pennsylvania Jan 18, 2010

This. In this order, too.

Roger85 likes this.
  9. No Order

CCB Jose Marti Porter
    HF Twilight of the Idols
    Smuttynose Robust
    Founders Porter
    MBC King Titus

10. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (495) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

Meantime Naval College Old Porter is far better than every other porter I've had, including Smutty Baltic, Founders, and Victory at Sea.

11. 1. Founders Porter
    2. Short's Brewing Publican Porter
    3. Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald

*Have a HF Birth of Tragedy in the cellar. Might make the list too.

12. Cyrano41

Cyrano41 Savant (295) Virginia Aug 7, 2009

Original Flag Porter and Otter Creek Stovepipe Porter are my go to porters. Recently had Beach Brewing's Jolly Roger Pumpkin Porter and now it's one of favorite beers period. (Beach Brewing's only available here in VA)

13. fox227

fox227 Advocate (565) California Nov 19, 2010

It's funny to see Victory at Sea included with all the 5-6% Porters. I really think that Imperial Porters deserve their own category, or they should simply be grouped along side of Imperial Stouts/Doubles. My list includes only stuff I can buy in my state, so it will miss many favorites of others:
    Founders
    Black Butte
    Taddy Porter
    London Porter
    Avery New World Porter
    Anchor Porter
    Stone Smoked Porter (also with Vanilla and Chipotle)

14. Hockey_Fan

Hockey_Fan Advocate (520) Maryland Jan 13, 2013

If you want to include Baltic Porters, I've always loved Okocim Porter.

15. EdTheEdge

EdTheEdge Advocate (530) California Mar 26, 2011

16. Though not the best, I can get a 6 pack of 16oz cans of the Narragansett Porter for 8 bucks. The best part is its not watery !

17. dianimal

dianimal Advocate (530) California Apr 18, 2012

Wow, after reading through these comments I realize I haven't tried very many porters. However, I have tried and really like:

BP Victory at Sea
    Deschutes Black Butte
    SS The Famous Taddy

18. I love Fullers London Porter. But I will wholeheartedly admit I am a Fullers fanboy.

Black Butte also.

fx20736 likes this.
  19. DogfishJoe

DogfishJoe Savant (470) Ohio Feb 14, 2010

Edmund Fitzgerald.

20. OnWisconsin

OnWisconsin Savant (355) Wisconsin Aug 14, 2012

For me and many who have had it...Tyranena "Dirty Old Man" is heavenly. I personally believe Tyranena specializes in porters and have spent a little extra time on this one. Can't wait for them to put this one back on the shelves....only one left in the beer fridge.

Second is Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald and Tyrenena's The Devil Made Me Do It

21. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

I thought I was the only one who was disappointed by Black Butte. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't worth all the hype.

Edmund Fitzgerald is my current benchmark for porters. I also love Revolution's Eugene Porter. I have a bottle of Smuttynose Robust porter in my beer fridge and was wondering if I should open it tomorrow night. Now I'm really looking forward to trying it.

22. Icarus

Icarus Savant (260) Minnesota Oct 6, 2012

For me it's:

Founders - Porter
    Deschutes - Black Butte Porter

then others

23. dar482

dar482 Advocate (700) New York Mar 9, 2007

Ballast Point Victory at Sea is the best one I've had so far. I also like the British ones like Samuel Smith's.

Then again, the porter/stout distinction is dubious these days.

24. Founder's Porter
    Maine Brewing King Titus
    Firestone Walker's Reserve
    Ballast Point Victory at Sea

Can't go wrong with any of those

BeerKangaroo likes this.
  25. tofuspeedstar

tofuspeedstar Savant (255) Texas Jul 12, 2012

black butte 23 was the best.....i wish deschutes would rebrew it...sighs.

26. Queno

Queno Aficionado (105) Wisconsin Jun 6, 2010

Founders - Porter
    Dark Horse - Reserve Special Black Ale
    Smuttynose - Baltic Porter
    Tyranena - Devil Made Me Do It (Who's Your Daddy was fantastic as well)
    FFF - Alpha Klaus
    Mikkeller Xmas Porter (i believe it was the 2010)

honorable mention to Deschutes Balack Butte, O'so Night Train and GL Ed Fitz

Shankopotamus likes this.
  27. Daktah

Daktah Savant (300) Illinois Apr 13, 2011

Just did an informal and highly unscientific taste test of porters on Super Bowl Sunday and in the days following. I had at least one of each of the following, and list in order of preference.

1. Edmund Fitzgerald - tough to unseat this one
    2. Founders - close second, and the rest are way behind
    3. Smuttynose Robust - great beer and something that is widely available and pretty inexpensive
    4. Fullers London Porter - a benchmark for English porters and one that I'd go to again if it were less expensive and easier to find
    5. Anchor - tastes more to me like an English porter than the others I tried. Great beer and another one that doesn't break the bank
    6. Foothills People's Porter - was very high on this beer (especially since it's an in-state product) until it went head to head with the others. Still good but not quite up to the competition
    7. Bell's - Really disappointed by this one. Still a good porter and something I would drink again if no others were available, but not up to expectations from Bell's.
    8. Breckenridge Vanilla Porter - pretty nasty; should be lower than "8", but I didn't drink enough others to move it farther down the line. Thin, artificial tasting and overall just an unpleasant beer.

Handle likes this.
  28. American Porter - Deschutes 'Black Butte'
    English Porter - Phillip's 'Longboat Chocolate' & Driftwood's 'BlackStone'
    Baltic Porter - Les Trois Mousquetaires 'Grand Cuvee Porter Baltique

29. Handle

Handle Savant (395) North Carolina Mar 16, 2009

I'm not going to bother creating a list, because porter is one of my favorite styles (especially if you include the Baltic variety) and it would just be too difficult for me. I will say, however, that I'm glad to see some love for Highland's Oatmeal Porter. That's the beer that really got me on this craft beer journey, and to this day I think it's a great beer that is often overlooked here in NC (possibly due to it being everywhere you look). Their Thunderstruck Coffee Porter is good, too.

Speaking of local porters, I've been enjoying a lot of Foothills People's Porter now that it's available in six-packs.

30. Old Engine Oil
    Midnight Sun
    Fullers
    Meantime London porter
    Zombier

dianimal and seakayak like this.
  31. It is mine too, hence the list.

Wait, I thought your favorite style was rauchbier?!

32. Handle

Handle Savant (395) North Carolina Mar 16, 2009

Note I said one of my favorites! Rauchbiers, porters and stouts probably make up a three-way tie. ;)

dianimal likes this.
  33. Left Hand Blackjack
    BBC Drayman's and Coffehouse
    Narragansett
    Redhook Blackhook
    Zywiec

34. I agree Duck Rabbit porter and Baltic Porter are great!

35. BlueRogue

BlueRogue Advocate (615) Maine May 1, 2011

I had my first Mayflower porter a few months ago and thought it was great. We don't get it in Maine though so I'll continue to go with Founders and Smuttynose.

seakayak likes this.
  36. 1. Founders
    2. Founders
    3. FFF Alpha Klaus

37. 1. Edmund Fitzgerald
    2. Victory at Sea
    3. Gonzo
    4. Maine - King Titus
    5. Stone Smoked

Off the top of my head these are my favorites.

38. Steamer

Steamer Aficionado (220) Missouri Dec 13, 2012

Lots of good porters already mentioned. I would add Sam Smith's Taddy Porter and Fuller's London Porter to the list.

39. I just finished my last Edmund Fitzgerald. Geat beer, I could not agree more. Easily #1

40. Meantime has a great line of porters that would definitely be worth a try if you haven't had them. I also really enjoy Berkshire Brewing Coffehouse Porter.

BeerKangaroo likes this.