1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Best Recent Find at a Bargain Price

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by gratefulbeerhead, Feb 17, 2013.

1. We probably all have our own shops that we frequent that seem to be just under the radar of others. I have one that is near some family that we are visiting this weekend. After today's work around the family farm moving lots of concrete block, I worked up a thirst from something other than a Two Hearted or a Crooked Tree. So I headed out to this shop and found quite a bit of good stuff. Not sure if it just gets tucked in the back of the coolor or what, but found several bottles of Bitches Brew, and while most other local shops have sold out of Arcadia BBA Cereal Killer and Impy Stout, found a few of those still on the shelves. But what I was most excited about was a Jewbelation 13 - and it was priced at $5. I guess since it was 3 years old, they were trying to move it, or maybe I just can't remember that it was this price all along. Either way, in my head it's a great deal and I'm really enjoying it. That's all that really matters. Oh, and I could tell you where this shop is, but then I would have to kill you. What have you found recently that was a great find and maybe even at a bargain price?
  2. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Savant (385) California Dec 21, 2011

My local TW&M put the last few bottles of Double DBA on sale for $6.99 so naturally I picked up a couple.
  3. I actually was traveling for work and ended up in Lexington Kentucky. I hit a liquor barn looking for dreadnaught, noticed a 12oz 09 bourbon county stout on its side actually on the floor. Took it and an arctic panzer to the register and the BCS was so far out of the system(I guess) the guy guessed at a price & charged .99 cents. Was pretty stoked to be drinking 3F AP & BCS while hanging out at the hotel!
    Mgm54, looseteeth, craftpunk and 3 others like this.
  4. Lakefront's 88.... 22 oz 4 pack..... Fixed Gear..... etc... for 19 buxs
  5. wiscokid920

wiscokid920 Savant (345) Maryland Apr 27, 2011

Someone's going to get an earful from the boss!
    CarolinaKevin likes this.
  6. Found a 2TD for $14.25 a couple weeks ago.
    joetouchton likes this.
  7. Local shop put a 4-pack of Ten Fidy on clearance for $8.99. I bought the remaining 3 of them, it was too good a deal not to.
    Mgm54 likes this.
  8. 2006 Sixer of Bigfoot with LOTS of dust on the bottles. $6.99
    2011 Parabola, $9

All bought at the same store, but different visits both within the last 3 months.
    lonewolfcry likes this.
  9. screamking

screamking Savant (305) Ohio Jan 20, 2013

Anderson valley Barney flats oatmeal stout @ $2.99 a sixer. I bought two cases worth. Best $24 I ever spent.
    KevSal likes this.
  10. sixerofelixir

sixerofelixir Savant (380) Ohio Oct 27, 2009

A local market had 3 bottles of beer in the clearance wine area:
    • (2) Brooklyn Local 1
    • (1) Brooklyn Local 2
    I had seen these lying dormant on the shelf for a while. Each bottle was from 2009, and priced at $4.99. The few bucks off was enough for me to pull the trigger. I drank a Local 1 last night, and it held up very well..
  11. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

Picked up a Bruery Sour in the Rye for 11.99 yesterday. Went back today and it was 21.99.

Bought a 12oz BCBS for $1.99 last year.
  12. rolandboy

rolandboy Savant (250) Michigan Oct 11, 2012

a shop near me had both arcadia ba imperial stout and ba cereal killer marked at $3.49/bottle. i thought i'd at least check the price with them b/c it's a locally owned store i frequent and i didn't want to get someone in trouble for a simple mistake. the girl behind the counter double checked and said that it was the correct price. needless to say i doubled back to the cooler and got six of each!
  13. Visiting family in Corvallis, OR I saw Great Divide for $1.50-$2 a bottle in the local bottleshop/brewing store (compared to the 4-6 per bottle on the east coast). They had some other great stuff at jaw droppingly low prices as well and I got some Delirium for half of what it costs on the east coast.
  14. That is the normal price of Great Divide stuff in SoCal too.
  15. Not a "bargin price" but 8.99 for a 4 pack of Old Raspy seems kinda cheap for a beer that gets such high ratings.
  16. Barrel aged Bigfoot has gone fast everywhere around here. I was surprised when I saw a couple bottles sitting on the shelf "somewhere" today. This place is also the only place nearby I have seen BCBS on the shelf, which also was after it sold out everywhere else.
  17. Here in Northern Canada (just north of the 55th parallel) we don't see too many bargains. Some examples of the kind of prices to expect:

Brooklyn BlackOps: $45
    Duchesse De Bourgone: $20
    Any Rogue Beer: At least $18 per bomber
    Any Mikkeler: At least $15 for 330ml

So I was pretty pleased to find Pannepot 2007 for $6, Rochefort 10 for $4 and three different types of Cantillion at $20 each...

(I guess I should just be pleased that i'm able to get any of the above all the way up here).
    Mgm54 likes this.
  18. hornsup

hornsup Savant (310) Virginia Nov 29, 2012

Dogfish Head Punkin 4 pack for $2.99 at TW in late November......I promptly picked up 8 of them.....no change from late August when it came into season
  19. dvs0ne

dvs0ne Disciple (60) Indiana Dec 17, 2010

: 3 separate 4 packs of 16 Oz Hinterland for $4.45 each. Coffee stout, juniper porter, and ipa. Picked up all there for$14.48
  20. sukwonee

sukwonee Advocate (535) Washington Dec 13, 2011

Arctic Devil at $13 a bottle. I know this is the retail price (maybe even a bit higher) but DAMN, this beer is awesome. I would have paid $19 a bottle.
  21. Moose90

Moose90 Savant (405) Colorado Nov 25, 2012

Probably not. If a bottle is sitting on the floor of a store...there are bigger issues.
    CarolinaKevin likes this.
  22. Moose90

All Rogue is $18/22oz? Even Dead Guy, Shakespeare, and Irish Red? Sheesh, I like Shakespeare at $6.99, but don't know that I would pay much more than that for it.
  23. homebrew311

homebrew311 Advocate (540) Illinois May 19, 2008

Dragon's Milk, Brooklyn Black Chocolate stout, and FBS in a mixed sixer section that was running 9.99 per 6 pack. It was at a Jewel no less.
  24. Dead Guy you can only get in 6-packs, the other two I haven't seen here.
  25. I just remembered that I saw 4 packs of Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout last weekend at Plum Market in Ann Arbor for $4.99/ 4 pack. Same thing last year toward the end of the season, so I asked the beer guy. He said that they got several cases at a great discount from their distributor. Always happy when a great bottle shop passes along their good deal, instead of charging the customer the higher price that they could get away with. Some other bottle shops I know could learn from a nice lesson from this.
  26. The store I work at decided to expand our Flying Dog line.

We got Double Dog 6 packs in. Shelf price was $8.99. Keep in mind, this is a 11.5% double pale ale (close enough to a strong IPA) So naturally I picked up a case ASAP.

With my employee discount, the case was $28. Only need a few all night, and at just over $1 per bottle, best deal ever.

Needless to say, the retail price was changed/fixed the next day.
    El_Zilcho likes this.
  27. MammaGoose

MammaGoose Aficionado (210) Wyoming Jan 10, 2013

Not a bomber or sixer or anything, but my boyfriend and I each got a pint of Pliny the Elder for $5 each. It was my first time ever having it, and it was delicious. I've paid $5 for far inferior pints, so I thought it was a pretty good deal :)
    CarolinaKevin and lonewolfcry like this.
  28. Odell's Meddler.
  29. Wisconsin

Wisconsin Savant (365) Wisconsin Jul 24, 2008

I've paid $4 for a sixer of Victory Summer Love. On a closeout, I had a friend score a case of Bells Oberon for $2.99 after the cashier charged a case as only one sixer.
  30. Summer Love is actually a very nice beer.
  31. 19etz55

19etz55 Savant (335) New Jersey Aug 12, 2007

Was down in Honolulu HI. and found SN Torpedo bombers for $2.99 at the ABC stores! Didn't need to drink Kona's much although I had there Brown Ale on tap at the airport for about $8 a pint. Well had to splurge a little biit plus it was VERY tasty!
  32. MammaGoose

MammaGoose Aficionado (210) Wyoming Jan 10, 2013

I've seen Dead Guy in bombers. My friend brought one to a party. I'm not sure how much he paid for it, but I am sure it was significantly overpriced compared to just getting a sixer.
  33. I have a bomber of Dead Guy on my fridge.
  34. Drew26

Drew26 Savant (295) Wisconsin Nov 2, 2012

Founders Red Rye pa for 5.99 a six pack...and wasn't old.
  35. Moose90

Where?

It's widely available in the 22oz format @ about $4.99, 6-packs of Dead Guy go for ~$15

Save a couple pennies/oz by the sixer, but no real advantage.
  36. Momar42

Momar42 Savant (360) Maryland Sep 19, 2010

Found a bottle of Samuel Smith Stingo for $8.99 today. Not sure what others get it for, but around here it runs upwards of $13. Was cheap enough to pull the trigger and do a side by side with the Boulevard/Pretty Things Collab#3 soon.
    ThisWangsChung likes this.
  37. Get a Theakston Old Peculiar as well as PT/Boulevard Stingo remids me of that.
  38. amp138

amp138 Savant (295) Rhode Island Dec 21, 2011

Eel River Raven's Eye Stout & Old Exultation old ale - $2.50 each, probably sitting in the liquor store forever, because I cracked open the Stout and it tasted like it had some age on it. Never heard of the brewery, but they are USDA certified organic, and the stout was mighty tasty. Yet to have the old ale but can't wait to crack into it.
  39. TNGabe

TNGabe Initiate (0) Tennessee Feb 6, 2012

I guess it's the normal price there, but I found Petrus Pale 750s for $7 a pop at Jungle Jim's in Cinci recently. Only had 3, I guess I should have asked if there was a case in the back.
  40. jimmygord

jimmygord Savant (320) Illinois Aug 26, 2008

A local liquor store recently had 2011 Anchor Steam Christmas single bottles for $1. I bought two sixers worth and left some behind for others.