1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Best Saison sold in six or four packs?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by dagimp, Jul 6, 2012.

1. I'm having a hard time thinking of many around the Philly area. Groundbreak by Ithaca is good. So is Wildeman by flying dog. Yards is decent but not great. What are your favorites?

2. Hennepin.

denver10, dunix, DevilsCups and 8 others like this.
  3. CASK1

CASK1 Savant (345) Florida Jan 7, 2010

What I came here to say.

4. ant880

ant880 Advocate (635) New York Nov 7, 2010

Hennepin IMO, but I think Hennepin is pretty close to the best Saison period. A lot of stores only carry the 750s, but a lot have 4pks as well and it looks like Ommegang distributes to PA. Dupont is also around in 4pks, not sure what the availability is in Philly though.

EDIT: Beaten twice...damn u both to hell ;)

5. No idea. But, sweet av!!

DevilsCups and dagimp like this.
  6. Yep. OP, you can easily find Hennepin on the cheap around here in 4-packs.

7. bleakies

bleakies Savant (415) Massachusetts Apr 11, 2011

I have no idea if they distribute to you, but Boulevard Tank 7 is quite nice in four-packs.

I also go for the now-available-by-the-six-pack Notch Saison for a lower-alcohol, hot-weather brew.

ipas-for-life, yamar68, dukes and 7 others like this.
  8. None here in the Philly area, but surrounding states I've seen it.

9. New Holland Golden Cap

LiquidTable likes this.
  10. chanokokoro

chanokokoro Advocate (590) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

I second Tank 7 if it's available in your area.

Bitterbill likes this.
  11. drtth

drtth Champion (870) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

Saison Dupont, 4 packs, brown bottles.

BoneyardBrewer likes this.
  12. jivex5k

jivex5k Advocate (650) Florida Apr 13, 2011

I like Great Divide's Colette
    Comes in a sixer, very tasty IMAO

Of course nothing beats Le Merle though in taste though, just don't have 4 or 6 packs of it.

13. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,040) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Could swear I've seen the occasional 4-pack of Saison Dupont, which for me is the reference saison. Otherwise, Hennepin or Tank 7 are also great.

14. My absolute favorite is Saison Dupont. They are available in small brown bottles (330 cl) in four packs. I purchased my last Saison Dupont at Total Wine & More in Claymont, DE.

There are a number of other good suggestions made: Hennepin, GI Sofie. Another Saison that I like is New Holland Golden Cap Saison; it is available in 6 packs.

If you ever make it out to the suburbs, McKenzie’s Saison Vautour is OUTSTANDING!

Cheers!

15. Not available.

Hennepin is the best, closely followed by GI Sophie. Too bad LA Red Barn is not in sixes, love that beer.

16. Thanks for the avatar props. Never seen the DuPont on small bottles. Hennepin! Good call. Tank 7 is great, but not available around here. I got a four last time I was in Houston.Sophie I thought was meh at best. Too sweet and bland.

17. CaptFrothy

CaptFrothy Savant (265) Maryland Dec 9, 2006

That's the best one to my taste buds too, Goose Island Sofie.

18. CASK1

CASK1 Savant (345) Florida Jan 7, 2010

Had my first Collette the other day and was very impressed. One of the most earthy, rustic Saisons I've had.

ThirstyFace likes this.
  19. alexipa

alexipa Savant (420) Colorado Oct 7, 2011

I second (third?) Collette. Really blew me away.

Hennepin is actually my least favorite saison I've had, so my guess is Collette is about the exact opposite of Hennepin in terms of saisons.

20. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

came here for the colette love. for 8.99 i was expecting something pretty underwhelming, but it really blew me away. steer clear of tommyknockers saison though. when it warmed up it had a distinct vomit aftertaste.

alexipa likes this.
  21. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,130) Washington Sep 24, 2007

Hilliards Saison is in 4-packs of 16oz cans in the Seattle area. Solidly decent beer and you shouldn't have any trouble finding someone to trade with.

NWer and Kopfschuss like this.
  22. commis

commis Savant (330) Massachusetts Jul 21, 2009

I find Urthel Saisonierre to be top of the line as well. 4 packs for about 12 bucks around here.

23. Blanco

Blanco Advocate (500) Pennsylvania Oct 11, 2008

I also agree with this. Bought a case of it myself recently just to have all the time (it holds up pretty well too).

24. mtlasley

mtlasley Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 27, 2012

What a coincidence! I just ordered a case at my local bottle shop.

25. frogfan

frogfan Savant (370) Texas Sep 4, 2009

Another vote for Tank 7.

Auror and Bitterbill like this.
  26. bebbcorp

bebbcorp Aficionado (225) Kansas Mar 6, 2010

I Third the Tank seven four packs. For quality and price.

Bitterbill likes this.
  27. JRorie

JRorie Aficionado (170) Illinois Oct 11, 2010

Tank 7, Sofie, and DuPont are the best three you will find anywhere. I'm lucky to have them all.

28. Hennepin and Tank 7. Drinking a Tank 7 right now.

29. JRorie

JRorie Aficionado (170) Illinois Oct 11, 2010

I'm allergic to Hennepin, sadly. Has to be the yeast, I would think. Asian Flush like crazy, and a swollen throat.

30. Handle

Handle Savant (395) North Carolina Mar 16, 2009

I'm not Asian, but this happens to me with Hennepin and other beers that use Belgian yeast. Allagash White bothered my throat quite a bit. At least I'm not the only one!

31. Have you tried Weyerbacher Seventeen yet? Hennepin...absolutely agree. Saison DuPont...IMO, the benchmark for the style. Saison du Buff from DFH, fist pump. If none of these suffice, contact me, 'have a Saison sitting in my fermenter right now that turned out really well. There's a nice selection of Saisons out there but I wish the American craft brew community would brew much more of these! :)

mecummins likes this.
  32. “I wish the American craft brew community would brew much more of these!” There isn’t a large amount of packaged American Saison beer but I am fortunate that in SEPA there is a fair amount of on premise Saisons available.

McKenzie’s (with three brewpub locations) makes an OUTSTANDING Saison: Saison Vautour. In the past they made these available in 750 ml bottles but they have stopped bottling this beer.

Sly Fox Brewery/brewpub makes a very good Saison: Saison Vos. This beer is available on tap at the brewpub occasionally and it is available in 750 ml bottles. It is also available in kegs for those folks who have kegerators.

A new brewpub opened up in Ardmore: Tired Hands. Apparently Saison beer will be a specialty of this place.

Stillwater (from Maryland) makes lots of different Saison beers. I frequently see these beers on tap at Philly beer bars.

I am sure that there are other quality Saisons available on premise locally that is escaping me at the moment.

Of course there is no denying that homebrewing Saison beer is a good way to go. I recently ordered a White Labs Platinum Series Saison yeast (WLP585) from my LHBS. I will be homebrewing a Saison real soon.

Cheers!

33. Doh, I forgot Victory Helios. A very tasty Saison with some Brett character. It is available in 22 ounce bottles. I have two bottles in my basement ‘conditioning’ to let the Brett character ‘shine’.
    Cheers!

jivex5k and fmccormi like this.
  34. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (770) Florida Oct 24, 2010

Yeah that beer is such an obvious candidate for larger packages of 12oz bottles, in my opinion. So good, well-crafted and refreshing, but also not something to take lightly. Dig it, pretty deep.

35. New Holland Golden Cap isn't bad for $9 a 6 pack. Although I do enjoy my Saison Dupont best.

36. “New Holland Golden Cap isn't bad for $9 a 6 pack.” From my perspective, New Holland Golden Cap wins the ‘bang for the buck’ award!

Cheers!

37. Not a huge saison guy, but Ithaca Ground Break for me. I really like the touch of hops theyve added to it.

38. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (770) Florida Oct 24, 2010

Well I don't know if anyone else is thinking it, but I'd flip if Pretty Things ever put Jack D'Or in, say, 12oz 4-packs. Flip.

mecummins and UnknownKoger like this.
  39. TomTwanks

TomTwanks Initiate (0) Ohio Apr 5, 2011

This