1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Best Saison sold in six or four packs?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by dagimp, Jul 6, 2012.

1. If you are a homebrewer, give a farmhouse a try. It is my new favorite style to brew.
  2. Gotta also vote for DuPont. Although this years dfh Saison du buff was quite enjoyable. Perfect summer beer for grilling on the deck.
    afrokaze likes this.
  3. diesel59

diesel59 Savant (400) New York Jan 3, 2012

Looks like Hennepin....
  4. robinsmv

robinsmv Initiate (0) Florida Jun 24, 2010

I'm a big fan of the Saint Somehwere beers. According to seekabrew they distribute to PA, and while they don't come in 4 or 6 packs they are some great saisons
  5. Helios is a nice beer and at a real nice price. I tried the V-Saison predecessor with about a year on it and it was the BEST saison I've ever tried. Unfortunately, Helios fresh wasn't nearly as good. I also don't know whether it has any Brett in it????? Tired hands is real, real good with some fantastic saisons. Some real good suggestions, thanks!
  6. Sofie is my favorite, if I could find the Hennepin 4pks and they weren't as expensive maybe.
  7. morimech

morimech Advocate (665) Minnesota Nov 6, 2006

If there was a style that American brewers have fucked up more, it was Saison. Not many good ones available in small bottles. I would go with the traditional Belgian brewed Saison Dupont if you can find it in brown bottles, then I would settle for Tank 7 or Le Merle. We do better but in larger format bottles. Upright, Saint Somewhere, and Southampton do really good stuff.
  8. Saison Du Buff 4 tha win
  9. Keffa

Keffa Savant (475) Ohio Jan 8, 2009

I don't get the Golden Cap suggestions. It's nowhere near as good as Hennepin.
  10. Hennepin is a standard for me. Also love me some Tank 7. Farm Girl from Lift Bridge is solid too. Not the greatest, but still very good and quite thirst-quenching on a hot day.
  11. bsp77

bsp77 Savant (490) Minnesota Apr 27, 2008

V-Saison and Helios is supposed to be the same beer, maybe you just liked the aging. Also, I swear I taste Brett in there as well.

Helios is great, but I also have to vote for Tank 7. I know it is not available in OP's area, but worth seeking out when traveling or by trading.
  12. They add a brett strain at bottling.
  13. OK, I swore I could have read when Victory introduced it that they changed the yeast. But from the Victory website: "This bottle conditioned, Belgian-inspired ale remains the same refreshing ale that you enjoyed as V-Saison, however, in a more approachable, less expensive 22 oz capped bottle." So this makes me believe they didn't.
  14. I don't mean this in a jerk-ass sort of way, but do you have a reference to support this? I've heard from posters on BA that they do and they don't, but nothing from Victory.
  15. dukes

dukes Aficionado (180) Apr 2, 2012

Hennipin, Sofie, and Dupont were all duds for me (with Hennipin being the Saison I've disliked the most). Tank 7 is my favorite in the 4 pack and 6 pack format.
  16. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (750) New York Oct 24, 2010

I wish we got more Sofie in upstate NY (CNY, anyway). It shows up every once in a while, maybe every few months, and only in 22oz bottles. I'd love to be able to get Matilda and Sofie in 4-packs, rather than paying $8 for a bomber every time I want one or the other. What do 4-packs usually go for, for those two, anyway?

Those are only two Goose Island "ladies" that show up in my area, too. Never seen Juliet, Fleur, Madame Rose, etc.
  17. AleWatcher

AleWatcher Advocate (720) Illinois Jan 25, 2009

The 4 packs tend to run $10-$12 here.
    And Sofie is the best Saison distributed in 4/6 packs.
    fmccormi likes this.
  18. fmccormi

like like like like like like like. Want more Sofie . . . maybe I can agitate for more distribution in my area.
  19. Reaper16

Reaper16 Savant (375) Alabama Oct 3, 2008

Tank 7, Saison Dupont, and Sofie.

Collete is really not good, and Hennepin is awful. But I'm very judgmental with Saisons, as it is my favorite beer style.
    LostHighway likes this.
  20. i really enjoy tank #7 by boulevard brewery
  21. and saison du buff!
    fmccormi likes this.
  22. williamDbar

williamDbar Aficionado (210) Ohio Jul 5, 2012

Hands down with taste it would be Saison duPont. As far as value and taste...Hennepin (8.99 in OH)
  23. Second that . . . damn I hate being late to the party!
  24. If you're in MN, lift Bridge Farmgirl Saison. Otherwise,I'm a big fan of Tank 7
  25. fmccormi

This thread has got me thinking, because I am frequently wishing there were more, less expensive, accessible saisons in smaller-format bottles. There are a lot of good options out there, but I just wish things like Brooklyn Sorachi Ace, Pretty Things Jack d'Or, or Stillwater Stateside could come in 12oz bottles for $10/4-pack (or $15/6-pack) or less.

What's out there in smaller bottles usually doesn't quite get my goat. I thought Colette was more or less mediocre, at least coming from such a good overall brewery, and Hennepin is good but it's a pretty big, strong, spicy beer that's more intense than what I'm in the mood for, most of the times that I want a saison. (Hence my lamenting earlier in this thread that I can't get Sofie 4-packs around me.)

There must be a brewery out there that could offer some much-needed, high-quality diversity in this corner of the market, right? Seems like New Belgium would be up to the task, and I'm looking forward to trying Green Flash Saison Diego in the next few months (hopefully), especially after seeing what they could do with Rayon Vert. Dupont's small bottles and St. Feuillien's saison, for example, are great but they're on the pricey side for me, as a poor and whiny grad student.

Anyone else feel like the majority of small-format saisons, particularly in the American market, just aren't quite cutting it? (Note: have NOT had the chance to try Tank 7 yet, but I'd certainly like to.)
  26. dukes

dukes Aficionado (180) Apr 2, 2012

Buddy you're preaching to the choir here. There's nothing I want more than Fantome, St. Feuillien, or Foret in 4 packs. If The Bruery's saisons came in 4 packs then I just might actually buy one of their beers. If Boulevard put Saison Brett in 4 packs I might actually cry. If I were to open a brewery today, I'd specialize in small bottle format Belgian style beers like Ommegang but, unlike them, actually make good beer :eek:. (I kid I kid, just don't like their saison)

But in all seriousness, you really should give Tank 7 a shot. And while you're at it, give Le Merle a shot as well since that comes in 350ml.
  27. williamDbar

williamDbar Aficionado (210) Ohio Jul 5, 2012

I am pretty sure Foret comes in 4 pks or at least 375ml
  28. fmccormi

Definitely comes in 375ml bottles, but distribution is an issue: we don't seem to get Dupont in CNY :-(

Totally agree, on all points. Unfortunately, I don't think Boulevard will be distributing to NY anytime soon (not upstate, anyway—seems to be a minimum two-year lag in between the time breweries start distributing to NYC / Long Island / downstate NY and when they start distributing to upstate), and for some reason I've never seen La Merle around here, in any format. We get North Coast, but the 4-packs are Pranqster, Old Rasputin, Old Stock, and Brother Thelonius. No La Merle for Fran.
  29. QC manager at Victory confirmed it by email when I wrote a while back to comment about low carbonation on some bottles I got. They also confirmed it publicly in the old forums.
  30. sukwonee

sukwonee Advocate (535) Washington Dec 13, 2011

GD Colette maybe?
  31. PEIhop

PEIhop Savant (390) Massachusetts Dec 2, 2010

Saison DuPont and Hennepin are excellent choices
    matedog and JxExM like this.
  32. bubseymour

bubseymour Advocate (560) Maryland Oct 30, 2010

I checked my ratings and heavy seas Red sky at night was my favorite in 12 oz bottles. I haven't seen it for quite a while though. Saison DuPont was tasty as well.
  33. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Aficionado (170) Oklahoma Jun 28, 2011

I know this is an old thread, but this is a local one that came out after the last post. Prairie Artisan Ales, here in Oklahoma, recently released Prairie Standard. A pretty awesome beer, available in 6 packs and easy drinking at only 5.2%, makes a great sessionable saison with lots of flavor to boot.
    fmccormi likes this.
  34. Robtobfest

Robtobfest Savant (340) Connecticut Oct 21, 2009

Two roads in CT has a 4% saison in six packs for $10.00. Solid saison! Can see this being my lawnmower beer this year!
    woosterbill likes this.
  35. I honestly found hennepin pretty damn dull on the two occasions I had it. Tank 7 is the best 4 pack I can think of (I'm not very into dupont... I know, I know, heresy, but sue me, I found it boring) but sofie is a good option too.
    rinhaak likes this.
  36. frogfan

frogfan Savant (350) Texas Sep 4, 2009

Have heard good things about Prairie Standard by Prairie Artisan Ales. Planning to grab a sixer when I visit OK next month.
    MtnBiker likes this.
  37. fmccormi

Did y'all see that Stillwater is going to start producing Stateside Saison in 12oz 4-packs?

Meaning once it's on the market, that and Hennepin would be hands-down two of the best saisons I could buy, period, and they'd both be available in 4-packs. (Boulevard does not distribute to upstate NY, otherwise Tank 7 would be right up there, too.) Now I'm just wondering what the price point is going to be like for Stateside 4-packs.
    afrokaze likes this.
  38. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (610) Florida Jul 15, 2011

Saison DuPont for me, easily. It's a perfect beer to me, really. My only problem is that it is expensive. Because a four pack of Hennepin is close to half the price, I tend to buy that much more often.
    rinhaak likes this.
  39. bennetj17

bennetj17 Advocate (625) Arizona Oct 30, 2005

Tank 7 is the sure winner.
    spinedocschabel likes this.
  40. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Aficionado (170) Oklahoma Jun 28, 2011

You might be hit and miss on what bottles you find. I think you'll see a lot of http://beeradvocate.com/ and http://beeradvocate.com/ left over if you shop the better bottle shops. If you are going to be cruisin by Tulsa, I highly recommend Biergarten.