1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Best Scotch ale?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Ant7780, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Ant7780

Ant7780 Aficionado (210) Michigan Dec 2, 2012

A bit of a two part question:
    1.What is your favorite Scotch ale?
    2. What is your favorite Scotch ale to age?

For me it's Founder's Dirty Bastard for both. It doesn't need much age though. If you let it sit for more than a month it becomes real smooth and malty. What else do you recommend?

BeerLover99 and Chickenhawk9932 like this.
  2. I really like Dieu du Ciel's Equinoxe du Printemps.

3. Dirty Bastard is a good one but I like Backwoods Bastard better if a BBA beer fits in as an answer to your question. Arcadia's Loch Down is also a good one.

4. Old Chub is one of my favorite beers

5. TychoNDC

TychoNDC Savant (370) New York Jan 7, 2013

I'd have to agree with you on Dirty Bastard (fresh), though for #2 I'd shade towards Backwoods Bastard. I know some people have had mixed experiences cellaring their backwoods, but I find it a bit too hot when fresh, at least the most recent release.

MichiganHammer likes this.
  6. I have a 2-year old bottle in my cellar... so good. I couldn't resist and drank all my others :p Another great one from Quebec that I tried recently is Le Castor's "Wee Heavy Bourbon". If you like a lot of barrel flavor, this one does the trick.

unibroue4ever likes this.
  7. More love for Founders Dirty Bastard. I really enjoyed that one. Also, Old Chub was nice.

8. MarioM

MarioM Advocate (525) California Sep 13, 2009

Not a style I drink to often but one of my favorite beers is Alesmith's Wee Heavy, great great beer that I'm sure would age very well, although I've never tried it my self.

Chaney, LSUPT, ChrisMon02 and 5 others like this.
  9. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

Backwoods Bastard for me, also Arcadia's loch ness is pretty good. But BB is one of my favoeite beers, period.

watsonmd, SteelersX and Horbar like this.
  10. Finally, a fucking thread right up my alley. I'm so tired of BCBS, Heady Topper, Pliny bull shit around here...
    My favorite Scotch Ale is Great Divide's Claymore. I think it's a really spot on example of what a Scotch Ale should be. I've yet to age any Claymore, because it's too good to ignore drinking. I've aged an Old Chub, Bagpiper's, and Dirty Bastard and really only found that the Bagpiper's (Pennichuck c.2007: retired; brewery closed in 2009) was the only one that actually got better for the real value of a Scotch Ale. The others just sort of mellowed out from the insane levels of maltiness. The Bagpiper's (which was aged for 5 years) exploded with peat and smoked, sprouted barley which is what a real Scotch Ale drinker wants. God damn fan-boys these days don't even appreciate Wee Heavy's anymore.
    Dark Horse Scotty Karate is really awesome, too. It basically tastes like whiskey, which is cool. Really smooth with no bite at all.

11. Wee Heavy does age very well. I tried a 2 year old one a while back and it was money.

guyinchicago likes this.
  12. You sir... you are a great man.

13. MarioM

MarioM Advocate (525) California Sep 13, 2009

I might have to try that, not sure if I can wait two years but better to start aging it sooner than later. Definitely will do...

14. Traquair House Ale is my favorite. Smuttynose Scotch Style Ale and Equinoxe du Printemps would be my other faves. All age well.

Tmappin likes this.
  15. BB1313

BB1313 Champion (780) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

Dark Horse Scotty Karate >>>>

16. Boilerfood

Boilerfood Savant (425) Indiana Jun 5, 2012

This happens to be my fiancee's favorite style and therefore I have had a lot of them. Backwoods Bastard, Bellhaven's, Wee Muckle and Robert the Bruce are all house favorites.

creepinjeeper likes this.
  17. BMMillsy

BMMillsy Advocate (645) Florida Feb 16, 2012

Wee Heavy was life changing for me

18. BMMillsy

BMMillsy Advocate (645) Florida Feb 16, 2012

A
    Alesmith in case that wasn't clear

guyinchicago and TwelveOunces like this.
  19. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (945) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

As unimpressive as Lake Louie's beers are, their Reserve Scotch Ale is some of the best I've had. It is awesome.

20. JohnnyHopps

JohnnyHopps Advocate (505) Indiana Jun 15, 2010

This.

Scottish Ales don't get a lot of love, but they are one of my favs.

Did a blind test recently with Scotty Karate, Dirty Bastard, Robert the Bruce, and Tyranena Sheep Shagger. Scotty was the consensus winner.

mcrago and RobertColianni like this.
  21. drrone

drrone Savant (480) Utah Dec 18, 2011

Yeah, I would have gone with the same, but the reverse. Backwoods Bastard followed by Dirty Bastard. Although, I would like to try some of the Wee Heavy and the Scotty Karate that Ricochet173 mentioned. I'll keep my eyes out for it.

22. champ103

champ103 Champion (870) Texas Sep 3, 2007

Third question: What do you consider a Scotch Ale? Considering this has been bastardised in America for a long time. When you actually go to Scotland you you realize that Scotch ales can be hoppy, stronger, weaker, bitter, roasted, chocolaty, etc. Anyway, my favorite beers from Scotland:

Anything from Traquair
    Harviestoun Bitter & Twisted
    Harviestoun Ola Dubh (all are excellent, and age great)
    Inveralmond Ossian, and Thrappledouser
    Deeside Talorcan
    Anything from Orkney
    And plenty more...

23. fullmetal1381

fullmetal1381 Savant (270) Florida Jul 30, 2011

Cigar City BA Big Sound. Really hope this thread doesn't make me want to drink my last bottle...

ncaudle, DIM and cyrushire like this.
  24. Drew26

Drew26 Savant (340) Wisconsin Nov 2, 2012

Old Chub, Scotty Karate, and Dirty Bastard are my regulars...Backwoods Bastard being the best, though not as easy to come by.

Blueribbon666 likes this.
  25. sm0key

sm0key Savant (315) Michigan Apr 24, 2009

Everytime this comes up, I mention arcadia's loch down ale.
    Dirty bastard is good too.

I just came across two year old old chub in a cooler in Podunk TN, and it kicks ass! It reminds me of Old Curmudgeon... Tastes like an old ale instead of a scotch ale.

Gonna need to give Scotty Karate another try, last time I had it, it was terrible, maybe it was skunked or something...

26. Ant7780

Love Scotty Karate. Fresh or with a few months on it. It's a totally different beer. There's something about a Scotch ale that has sat for a few months. I know it sounds weird but in that short time they seem to completely change. By the way I have a Kuhnhenns A Few Shillings Too Many sitting in my cellar right now. Fresh it was amazing, but I'm going to sit on my last one for at least a year.

CubsJedi, BB1313 and SometimesIfart like this.
  27. Backwoods Bastard
    Alesmith Wee Heavy
    Smuttynose Scotch Ale
    Oskar Blues Old Chub

28. Ant7780

Didn't I see a thread that BWB was coming out soon?

29. Backwoods for me.

thousandfoldthought likes this.
  30. Dark Horse Scotty Karate is my favorite. I haven't aged one, but I'm sure it would be even better aged!

mcrago likes this.
  31. sponas

sponas Zealot (75) Arizona Jul 27, 2009

Founders Dirty Bastard is very good, Robert the Bruce very good too but not as good as DB and Scotty Karate the best Scotch Ale I've ever had

mcrago likes this.
  32. Dirty Bastard is awesome fresh - with a couple of months it seems to drop off a bit - maybe it comes back I will have to experiment. Backwoods Bastard with a year on it is a little better than it is fresh, but the vanilla did not drop off at all like I thought it would.

33. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

Scotty Karate for me, in the US

I don't age Scotch Ales intentionally.

Skullsplitter overall.

All of that said, I've only had about 8 different ones.

seakayak likes this.
  34. CCB Big Sound followed by Scotty Karate

35. dap325

dap325 Aficionado (190) New York Apr 2, 2009

Although not considered the best of the best, I really enjoy Olde Burnside Ten Penny ale when I go to the Pipes in the Valley Irish fest every year in Hartford, CT.

36. craigo19

craigo19 Savant (270) Michigan Oct 12, 2009

My favorites are Erie Brewing's Railbender Ale, Dirty Bastard and Scotty Karate.

37. Hands down Founder's Backwoods Bastard for me. I had a bottle last night; amazing!

38. haddon

haddon Savant (285) Kentucky Jul 13, 2009

Just drank an 18 month old Dirty Bastard last night. It was goooood. I like Old Chub but doesn't age that well IMO.

YogiBeer likes this.
  39. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

Robert the Bruce to drink right now. But my favorite to age is my own homebrew. After letting it age for 8 months, it's really quite good. We called it "Piper Down" after a bit in the movie So I Married An Axe Murder. I'm pretty damn proud of it.