1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Best Scotch ale?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Ant7780, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Guy-T

Guy-T Disciple (60) Michigan Jan 21, 2013

Dirty Bastard on draft!!

2. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

I'm HOOKED on IPAs, so I don't know.

19etz55 likes this.
  3. bamadog

bamadog Savant (405) Kentucky Oct 21, 2008

Spot on. Ages like a champ. Just drank a 3 year old bottle the other night and it came across nice and dank, musty and chewy with a touch of sweetness and mulchy grain.

4. Plaid Bastard by Grand Lake Brewing and Great Divide Claymore

5. djsmith1174

djsmith1174 Savant (480) Minnesota Aug 21, 2005

Great Divide Claymore is my favorite. Also highly recommend Dark Horse Scotty Karate, Founders Dirty Bastard & Backwoods Bastard, Tyranena Sheep Shagger & Shaggin' in the Wood (if they ever brew it again). Scotch ales are an excellent style. One that I'm always on the lookout of which to try new ones.

RobertColianni likes this.
  6. This guy knows his shit.

tronester likes this.
  7. I'll start this by saying, I used to really love Jinx from Magic Hat, helped me get in to craft beer actually. I wish it was still brewed because I wonder if I'd still like it. Based on what's available I'd probably have to say Backwoods Bastard would be the one to age, and New England's Wet Willy for the fresh (even though it ages VERY well too).

8. I just got back from my local beer store that was doing a Duck-Rabbit tasting which one was their Wee Heavy Scotch Ale and I personally think it was better than Backwoods Bastard. Overall, I am new(ish) to this style but every one I've had thus far makes me quiver from excitement in my moccasins.

9. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (495) Texas Sep 7, 2004

Traquar House here.

10. Cigar City Big Sound.

11. Scotch Silly ... a Belgian export

IndyDad, Stevicus and alelover like this.
  12. For aging, I like Backwoods. Scotch ale/wee-heavy is quickly becoming one of my favorite styles. Favorites include Dirty Bastard (a staple in my fridge), Scotty Karate, Robert the Bruce, Moylan's Kilt Lifter, and Town Hall Hope and King.

Mitchell57 likes this.
  13. MystikCelt

MystikCelt Savant (305) New York Jun 11, 2011

It boggles my mind how relatively low the reviews for this are. It's one of my top five in any category.

14. KevSal

KevSal Advocate (585) California Oct 17, 2010

ba fulll boar

alright you got me, old burnside has some of the best scotch ales ive tried, but there are plenty out there.

ba wee heavy is amazing! aud alliance would be my all time fav tho

15. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (500) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

Younger's No. 3.

16. ChugLife

ChugLife Aficionado (240) Colorado Aug 13, 2012

Highway 78. And its aging nicely.

17. Backwoods Bastard. Tasted like a fine piece of candy. Even though it was fresh, for me, it went down extremely smooth. No alcohol burn detected.

diesel59 likes this.
  18. DovaliHops

DovaliHops Savant (460) California Nov 16, 2009

The BA version is pretty damn good too

IndyDad likes this.
  19. Two pages of this thread and where's marquis?

At this moment in time:

Fav Scotch Ale- Black Isle Export Scotch Ale Small Batch
    Fav Scotch Ale for Aging- Traquair 2010
    Fav Scottish Ale- Cromarty AKA IPA

20. ChrisMon02

ChrisMon02 Savant (435) Ohio May 2, 2010

One of my favorite beers. I had a year and a half old bottle last weekend and it was fantastic.

21. superspak

superspak Poobah (1,010) Michigan May 5, 2010

Absolutely this. As a scotch ale that is so easy to get in season, it blows Dirty Bastard out of the water. It is so damn complex.

I am also going to mention Alesmith Wee Heavy like everyone else. Also if you have never had Traquair Jacobite, you are completely missing out. That beer blew my mind.

BB1313 likes this.
  22. i'm not too deep in this category, i felt Hoppin' Frog's BA Outta' Kilter was a fine pour.

23. The signs of a great thread: Founders and a wonderfully & quotable funny movie

mecummins likes this.
  24. Scotch Ales are hands down my favorite brews. The top of my list is Traquair House Ale. An absolutely outstanding Scotch Ale, and the one I judge all the others against, but it is very pricey, so its not an everyday one for me. AleSmith Wee Heavy is another favorite. Skull Splitter and Belhaven Wee Heavy are the two I drink most often. I'm also a fan of Innis and Gunn, especially their Rum Cask.

25. Stinger80OH

Stinger80OH Advocate (655) Ohio Nov 11, 2011

First and foremost, I generally hate Scotch Ales/Wee Heavys, which I find really odd considering I love beer and I love whisk(e)y. There's just something my palate can't appreciate about the style. However, I have had a good deal of them along the way just to see if anything ever changes or to see if I can find one that I really like. That being said, Backwoods Bastard has to be my favorite. I had it on tap at Founder's in November and it really blew me away despite trying it bottled in previous experiences and not really enjoying it. As far as aged Scotch Ales go, I'd have to say that the cellared BA Scotch de Silly that my father and I opened awhile ago was simply awesome and one of my favorite barrel-aged products hailing from Belgium that I've ever had.

26. Here I am.A sadly misunderstood style but as a guy who actually lives in Scotland you don't need to be told this! Peated malt in a Scotch Ale? Heresy.That's confusion between Scotch Whisky and Scotch Ale for you :)

tronester and BILF like this.
  27. BILF

BILF Advocate (575) Israel Jan 9, 2010

hoptualBrew likes this.
  28. Caramel and chrystalized malts are a staple in Scotch Ales. In order to achieve this annotation, the fresh barley is slowly warmed in an extremely wet atmosphere, stored prior in a damp setting. Although it's not exactly taken to the peating level, it produces many of the same flavors as a peated malt as the interior of the kernel or hull tends to bud and crack slightly. Learn something new every day. Heresy? I wouldn't go that far. Misconception? Eh. Meet in the middle of sort of and kind of not.

CarolinaKevin, JxExM and ricochet173 like this.
  29. Dirty Bastard was my first, so it's hard to beat for me.

30. I forgot about Old Jock; I should have mentioned it too in my earlier post. I really liked that one so well that I've brewed a clone recipe of it a few times, and infused some of that homebrew with bourbon, which made it even better.

31. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (505) Missouri May 11, 2012

No love here for FFF Robert the Bruce?

32. BrettMcCal23

BrettMcCal23 Zealot (75) Minnesota Nov 23, 2010

Founders Dirty Bastard has to take the cake for me!

33. Alesmith 2012 BA Wee Heavy.. Amazing, Dieu du Ciel's Equinoxe du Printemps Also amazing and I hope someday I see it again, Traquair and although I havent seen it in some time and it didnt rate that well I always liked McEwan's Scotch Ale.

34. lester619

lester619 Savant (325) Wisconsin Apr 17, 2009

Sheep Shagger is a tasty beer. I'm not an expert on style classifications, but with a name like that it has to have something to do with Scottland.

35. Fresh or fresh-ish I enjoy FFF Robert the Bruce (one of the few FFF beers I really enjoy) and Belhaven Scottish Ale (not a Scotch Ale, I know). Schlafly's offering was quite good, but is now draft-only, and a bit tougher to get around here. Aged, Dirty Bastard, Backwoods Bastard (depending on the vintage, I find some melt into creamy, rich decadent malt bliss, while others stay hot and 2-dimensional), and Skullsplitter (especially with more than a year on it).

Oh, and back in the day, McEwans. Sorry we don't see that around anymore.

Rochefort10nh likes this.
  36. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,135) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

One that is no more. MacAndrew's Scotch Ale. Close to being the best brew my palate has ever met.

37. Siggy125

Siggy125 Savant (470) California Nov 10, 2006

I agree with all others previously mentioned. I would say I really enjoyed Hoppin Frog's Outta Kilter too.

38. great divide claymore is my go to. if im aging, Traquair House Ale

39. alelover

alelover Advocate (595) Michigan Aug 19, 2012

these are my two favorite. to me it just doesn't get any better then a skullsplitter or a scotty karate that's been aged at least 6 months.

40. tourdot

tourdot Savant (425) Wisconsin Mar 3, 2012

To be fair, I have to break this down a little further.
    #1 overall: CCB Bourbon Barrel Big Sound
    #1 that is readily available: Dirty Bastard
    #1 to age: Backwoods Bastard