1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Best Scotch ale?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Ant7780, Feb 16, 2013.

1. jmw

jmw Member

Not really odd as the two have nothing to do with each other

I doubt that marquis finds something new every day that he was not already familiar with. Thanks though for the treatise on what is a common misconception: peated malt or peat-anything was not used in Scottish made beers--that is an American anachronism.

One of my favorite 'scotch' ales--Harviestoun Old Engine Oil
    seakayak likes this.
  2. RobertColianni

RobertColianni Member

No problemo.
  3. GodlessWatermelon

GodlessWatermelon Member

Old Chub, GD Claymore, Skullsplitter
    RobertColianni likes this.
  4. SnowFlowMfg

SnowFlowMfg Member

Definitely want to go try a claymore now. I have only had old chub and local brews but I love this style as well!
  5. macandrewsRIP

macandrewsRIP Member

What a great thread!!!

Broughton Old Jock passable but Traquair House Ale and Jacobite are my hands down favorites now.

Who remembers MacAndrews Scotch Ale (imported by Merchant du Vin, last shipment 1998) ? A deep, smooth yet spicy Scotch with multiple layers of malt flavor. Originally imported as Caledonian Strong Ale and then rebadged as MacAndrews. God i loved that stuff, i used to buy it by the case. For some reason they stopped importing it, plus the gravity was slowly going down over the years, it was the highest when it was in the 12 oz bottles but was lowered when they shipped in the 16.9 oz bottle. Still was a great Scotch Ale. (I'm not crying I just have something in my eye....)
    Rochefort10nh, Bitterbill and ColdOne like this.
  6. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Member

Belhaven Best, without question.
  7. Lethal04

Lethal04 Member

Backwoods Bastard is the best that I've had. Last year found a Dirty Bastard on the shelf that was bottled in '09 and that was good too. Never had it fresh before so can't compare it aged unfortunately.
  8. lic217

lic217 Member

Not sure if it has been said, but Ten Penny is a great scotch ale. Not sure how hard it is to get outside of CT though.
  9. macandrewsRIP

macandrewsRIP Member

they put Belhaven Wee Heavy in a clear glass bottle, not brown, clear. Some marketing genius at either Greed King or Belhaven spent too long on a beach in Mexico, supping Corona, and came back with the stupidest idea since new Coke and yet was not given their redundancy notice (i.e., fired).

Clearly a crime against humanity.....
    tronester and SnowFlowMfg like this.
  10. dmeadows

dmeadows Member

How I miss both McEwans and MacAndrews.

Someone give me a Tassgall Ale from Highland Brewing, please!
  11. Zimbo

Zimbo Member

Christ John, are you taking the piss?
  12. FourBetter

FourBetter Member

Gateway: McEwans (miss you)
    Best: Backwoods Bastard
    Runner up: BA Big Sound
    Up 'n Coming: Steet Toe Wee Heavy, Central Waters Wee Heavy
  13. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Member

Hehe, a bit. I do miss it, since it doesn't make it's way over the pond...but no that would not be my choice for the "Best."
  14. Zimbo

Zimbo Member

Quality.
  15. dcbdc1

dcbdc1 Member

Greatest beer name ever!! Well done!
    Pelican5 and mecummins like this.
  16. GFG

GFG Member

Town Hall Hope and King Scotch Ale
  17. SteelersX

SteelersX Member

My favorites are Backwoods Bastard and Alesmsith Wee Heavy.

I used to love Skullsplitter and Scotty Karate but both had recipe changes and I just dont like them as much
    Scotty is still good but Skullsplitter is a shell of what it used to be.
  18. dirtyfab

dirtyfab Member

Having a Belhaven wee-heavy right now.
    Rochefort10nh and Mediczod like this.
  19. MortalKombat14

MortalKombat14 Member

I can't believe this is even a debate. Backwoods Bastard hands down. Many beer reviewers who don't even like Scotch Ale or Wee Heavys love this beer
  20. Billz187

Billz187 Member

Scotty Karate
  21. dwoolley1

dwoolley1 Member

Dirty Bastard
  22. Beefytits4

Beefytits4 Member

Backwoods Bastard
  23. robwestcott

robwestcott Member

sun king wee muckle
    backwoods bastard
    NEBCO wet willy
    ccb rum barrel big sound
    and
    +1 for scotty karate
  24. JohnQVD

JohnQVD Member

I never intentionally age Scotch ales. I, too, miss McEwan's and rate Big Sound and Backwoods Bastard. There have been a few things mentioned in this thread I'm going to have to search out.
  25. mellowmark

mellowmark Member

My favorite is Dirty Bastard, no doubt. I actually prefer it over Backwoods.
    JxExM likes this.
  26. keithmurray

keithmurray Member

Rohrbachs Scotch Ale - Dear Rohrbachs, please start bottling this heavenly goodness
  27. AlTrombley

AlTrombley Member

Bellhaven Scottish ale. I used to sell it years ago and always enjoyed it. The same brewery brews a beer named St Andrews ale that is also real tasty.
  28. JohnQVD

JohnQVD Member

This. I didn't even mention it because it's not that available outside Western NY and you have to get it in growlers. I've only had it once, when I brought a growler back from Rochester and took it to a gathering. It was quite popular and went quickly.
    ColdOne likes this.
  29. patto1ro

patto1ro Member

I'll be brewing* a Younger's No. 1 on Tuesday. I'm so excited.

* To be more accurate, hanging around the brewery watching professionals brew and trying not to get in the way too much.
  30. 19etz55

19etz55 Member

Don't care for the style much but I do like Founders Dirty Bastard. Haven't had the Bacxkwards Bastard yet but would like to try it.
  31. RobertColianni

RobertColianni Member

It's a debate because guys like me, that have such a love for Scotch Ales that you don't even want to begin debating, can name three Scotch Ales every hour for two days that will make you forget Backwoods Bastard even exists. Infact, I've had Backwoods Bastard sitting on shelves around here and laughed, walked away, and said to myself "some poor sap will actually buy that shit." I don't mean to belittle you, and I know I'm young, but until you start brewing and seek out style examples that literally do not even exist anymore, don't put Backwoods Bastard too far up that flag pole of yours. It's good, but it ain't great and it's really not even an honorable mention.
  32. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Member

AleSmith Wee Heavy and Founders Backwoods Bastard are my two highest rated of the style.
  33. bayareahustla

bayareahustla Member

drinkin a Deviils Canyon Full Boar.....its pretty tasty
  34. deuce9259

deuce9259 Member

I hope some people realize there is a difference between Scotch Ale and Scottish Style Ale.
    Rochefort10nh and NHcraftbeer like this.
  35. jmw

jmw Member

Now we're on the flame. MacandrewsRIP has been waiting for 5 1/2 years for just this thread, and dmeadows has a rare cap in more than 10. I wish I could try this MacAndrews.
  36. jbertsch

jbertsch Member

Cambridge Brewing Bannatyne's scotch ale is my local favorite... or perhaps my favorite regardless of locale.

I do really enjoy Old Chubb. I like Scotty Karate and Backwoods Bastard, but don't love them.
    CypherEnigma likes this.
  37. jmw

jmw Member

Leant toward arrogant, but the first part had me with the passion.
    Then you said
    and I realized that you really are young, and the arrogance comes from a lack of experience rather than a passion.
    Calm down Robert.
    breakingbland, ncaudle, teal and 2 others like this.
  38. jmw

jmw Member

do tell
  39. lucas1801

lucas1801 Member

Boiling dow the thick first runnings adds a nice layer of complexity to a Scotch Ale as well.
  40. MortalKombat14

MortalKombat14 Member

Then why have some of the most respected beer reviewers on the internet have said it's the best they have tried? It's not even just me saying it, it's people that have been drinking beer for decades
    Mediczod likes this.