1. Rating beers by attributes (look, smell, taste, feel, overall) is back! Read the latest update ...
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Best Scotch ale?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Ant7780, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Also it's not even really a debate when RateBeer has it as the 3rd best Wee Heavy/ Scotch Ale and Beer Advocate has it as the 2nd best Scotch Ale/ Wee Ale. Even if it's your opinion that there is a better Scotch Ale it's the general opinion that Backwoods is one of the best Scotch Ale's based on rankings and reviews. Even if more hardcore fans of Scotch Ales think there is better there's more non converted fans that see it as the best. Whatever converts non believers in the style is the best

Mediczod likes this.
  2. Is it the 1879 version that's in your blog? If so it would raise a few eyebrows with over 120 IBU when we are all told that the Scots didn't use many hops :)

tronester likes this.
  3. Scottish Ale is, er, well, ale from Scotland.It is just the same as English and Welsh ale.No particular style.
    Scotch Ale is a long established though sadly misunderstood style in its own right.

4. I love Rohrbach's Scotch Ale. I was going to list it as my favorite, but held back since it is so local I didn't think most people would know of it. I too wish they bottled it. It's readily available here, but only in growlers or on tap at local places.

ColdOne likes this.
  5. fx20736

fx20736 Advocate (510) New York Mar 7, 2009

Orkney Skullsplitter. ftw

6. bepps

bepps Aficionado (110) Michigan Aug 18, 2011

Backwoods for me followed by CC Big Sound, I'd love to try a CC BA Big Sound.

7. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (500) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

No, it's a 1930's version. I think it will be a pretty surprising beer, nonetheless.

8. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,135) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

Yeah, I remember it and already mentioned it.:rolleyes: When it was gone..I saw MacAndrews Stock Ale on the shelf for a short while. Same Airedale doggie on the label but it twas not as pleasing a beer.

9. I'm not sure if you are way off base or whether you just weren't clear with what you said in your post.

If I can read between the lines of your post, are you saying that Backwoods Bastard shouldn't be considered for comparison purposes to other Scottish-style ales because it is different, having been aged in bourbon barrels? I'll agree that it is probably not proper to compare Backwoods with non-BBA versions as a Scotch Ale, but that doesn't mean that it "ain't great." It is a Scotch Ale, it's just been enhanced by aging in something other than in the bottle in the cellar.

Mediczod likes this.
  10. teal

teal Aficionado (195) Wisconsin May 3, 2012

Dirty Bastard and Old Chub are the 2 I've tried and can get very easy here locally. Both in hand portable containers and on tap.

Neither has ever caused me to cuss. Love em both. It's a style I enjoy as a malt head. Want to get my AG system dialed in more before I make my own.

RobertColianni likes this.
  11. Best scotch ale I've ever had is Old Chub on cask with vanilla beans. Easily beats BA Old Chub.

Generally though I really like Old Chub and it's one of the few scotch ales easily accessible in the area and usually reasonably priced.

I am sitting on a bottle of BA Scotch Silly.

12. JohnQVD

JohnQVD Savant (365) New York Jan 23, 2011

13. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

For non barrel aged, Cigar City Big Sound. That beer is awesome!

14. BeerLover99

BeerLover99 Advocate (735) Illinois Dec 13, 2008

WOW, love this thread!
    Think the style and it's cousin Wee Heavy are a tad underrated.

In no order:

Dirty Bastard (Scotch Ale)

Old Chub (Wee)
    Backwoods Bastard (Wee)
    Skull Splitter (Wee)

Enjoyed reading others thoughts and suggestions.

15. Dennoman

Dennoman Savant (495) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

I haven't had many, but Backwoods Bastard definitely lept out of the pack as the best one yet.

16. Ooh, forgot about the MacKroken Flower grande reserve from Le Bilboquet, a wee heavy brewed with honey and Scottish thistle, then aged in mead barrels... yum!

17. dmeadows

dmeadows Savant (310) New York Aug 6, 2002

Picked this up a while ago in Vermont and really enjoyed. Note to self: Time for a quick trip to Bennington, VT.

ricochet173 likes this.
  18. hoptualBrew

hoptualBrew Savant (485) Florida May 29, 2011

BBA Big Sound is the best overall, but the best everyday drinker for me would be either Old Chub or Bellhaven Wee Heavy (preferably on draft).

19. jtg5678

jtg5678 Savant (260) Illinois Nov 27, 2012

As others have said, Old Chub and Scotty Karate are great. I wish there were more people doing this style because I think there is a lot of potential.

keithmurray and RobertColianni like this.
  20. Judgie

Judgie Savant (320) Indiana Nov 21, 2012

Robert the Bruce & Dirty Bastard are my favorites from limited experience, but I did enjoy the growler of Wee Muckle I had during the Holidays.

21. Backwoods Bastard and Dirty Bastard. Old Jock is pretty good too.

22. I might have to brew one over the next few weeks. I'll follow you and try to screw with the recipe a bit to push the boundaries. If things turn out well I'll send you one.

23. My favorite (non-retired) Scotch Ales have been: 1) CCB Bourbon Big Sound, 2) CCB Big Sound, 3) Oskar Blues Old Chub. Grand Teton Sheep Eater and Berkshire Bourbon Barrel Scotch Ale were awesome as well, but apparently they're retired now.

24. Probably can't get it anymore, but Harpoon Leviathan Great Scott from last spring was exceptional

25. Stouttyme

Stouttyme Savant (270) Nebraska Nov 17, 2011

So far Scotty Karate has been my favorite. Have a BA Big Sound, Alesmith Wee Heavy, and a OH Seven Devils in the cellar I'm looking forward to trying.

26. jrbchef

jrbchef Savant (265) Connecticut Feb 24, 2011

It may be hard to get out of the North East but, Wet Willy from NEBCo, the makers of Gandhi Bot etc., is f-ing amazing.

27. jtg5678

jtg5678 Savant (260) Illinois Nov 27, 2012

Gotta say this is one of the coolest things a stranger has ever done for me. I am also planning on brewing a Citra Kolsch, so perhaps we can do some trading (and hey, maybe we can throw in some of our locals as well :)).

28. jmw

jmw Savant (430) North Carolina Feb 4, 2009

Much wrong with this. Please refer to marquis' comment

29. Kinsman

Kinsman Advocate (600) California Aug 26, 2009

Don't forget, a larger portion (I'm guessing what is easily the majority) of Scotch whisky isn't even peated! It's primarily only in a few of the Islay malts and a few Island malts like Talisker and Highland Park that you'll find peated whiskies. Some of these make it into the blends but even most blends have hardly a trace of peat. Just makes the connection between peat and Scotch ales all the more confusing and nonsensical.

Any perceptions of peat you've picked up in a non-peated malt are all in your head. Peat smoke produces a very unique aroma and flavor and the caramelizing of the malt doesn't come anywhere close to those peat characteristics.

30. I'll get back to you in three months. Don't die on me.

31. lic217

lic217 Savant (435) Connecticut Aug 10, 2010

I just tried skull splitter and didnt like it. glad i am not the only one.

32. Old Chub is my mountain beer.
    8% gets me going.
    However Claymore is in my heart from being back stage at a bluegrass festival this year in Lyons.
    Drank a bunch of that and Red Hoptober.

33. Used to be McEwan's, was a pretty good deal for a six-pack when you could get it.
    Now, my favorite is Oskar Blues Old Chub.

34. papatom6

papatom6 Initiate (15) Feb 18, 2013

This is really just a question from a new member. Only just heard about this site from my son, and am impressed with the wealth of knowledge from so many people. My wife picked up some beers for me for Valentines, one being a four pack of Big Eddy, Wee Heavy Scotch Ale. I wondered about it when there was no head at all after I poured it into a glass stein. After a few sips, I couldn't stand it, and poured it out. I found some numbers on the bottle when I looked for a bottling date ( wondering if it was just stale ). Anyone else have a bad experience with this beer?

35. mpayne5

mpayne5 Advocate (555) Indiana Aug 18, 2011

36. papatom6

papatom6 Initiate (15) Feb 18, 2013

BTW, sipping on a Breakfast Stout, from Founders. Now this is luscious.

37. JohnnyMc

JohnnyMc Savant (425) Ohio Feb 14, 2012

It's not a style I drink very often or where I've had a ton of different ones, but Founders Backwoods Bastard is awesome. Dirty Bastard is a classic too.

38. Le Castor's Wee Heavy Bourbon is the BA Scotch Ale FW never made! It's that good!

39. I agree! I think it was you who recommended it to me, and boy were you ever on the money! The brewery announced on facebook that a new batch would be shipping next week, so I'll have to go grab a few bottles

40. ceeman

ceeman Aficionado (110) Wisconsin Jan 5, 2008

Central Waters Slainte is a staple in my fridge and I had the barrel aged version at the brewery which was even better. Not saying it's the best one out there but it's my personal favorite.