1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Best Scotch ale?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Ant7780, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (550) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

Open Grave Scotch Ale URRRRRRRRRRR...how metal would that be? Come on FFF it's right there for the taking. ;)

2. Belhaven Wee Heavy, that was my introduction into craft!!!

3. Sheep Shagger by Tyranenna is just mind blowing. Also Old Chub, Backwoods bastard, Alesmith Wee Heavy and Smuttynose Scotch ale are a few of my favorites.

YogiBeer likes this.
  4. GatorMike

GatorMike Aspirant (40) Florida Dec 2, 2010

I am shocked and dismayed that NO ONE (aside from Vino and me) said "BELHAVEN". Pike's Kilt Lifter got me hooked and then I discovered a true bit of mana from Heaven when I opened my first Belhaven. Get it from a can with a widget though, it doesn't travel well in a bottle.

5. Dirty Bastard

6. Surprised nobody has mentioned Skull Splitter from the Orkney Islands. It's like a fruitcake in a glass.

7. My bad... didn't read entire thread.

8. Stoutish

Stoutish Zealot (90) California Jan 1, 2013

Oskar blues' ol' chub, its a sleeper but dayum! It's good!

9. jeremiahoden

jeremiahoden Savant (285) Indiana Apr 4, 2012

Backwoods bastard will always be #1!!!!
    CCB BA bigsound #2

10. Where did you buy it? Not sure about the one aged in mead barrels. A friend got this for me in a convenience store in Montreal- where oddly enough they sell great craft beers. Perhaps the barrel-aged is better. You can email or post to their Facebookpage.
    Their English is okay, but you will get a response.

11. Not a trace. Asked all of the vendors, and they claim it is bought up as soon as it comes in to their store. I truly believe they wait for the truck:) Will look for it next year.

12. TysonA

TysonA Savant (330) Washington Dec 12, 2010

Already said but I would have to agree. Alesmith Wee Heavy. It just drinks so well.

Grant35 likes this.
  13. I'm gonna throw out Duck Rabbit Wee Heavy. Very good and local to me.

Falcone likes this.
  14. ThickNStout

ThickNStout Savant (495) Georgia Mar 8, 2011

It's a local so I understand why it hasn't been mentioned in 6 pages bt BY FAR my favorite has been the Jailhouse/ O'Demseys collaboration Community Service. Simply fantastic. So sad to only have 3 bottles left.
    And for aging- Community Service is at 18 months and going strong but I'd still have to go with Backwoods Bastard.

15. I bought the bottle in Montreal, where I live. And no, it's not odd that we have great craft beers... Quebec has some world-class breweries!

16. Excellent craft beers in Quebec. I believe there is a beer festival in Saint Hyacinthe, where the brewery is.
    Have you been to the brewery? What fascinates me about Montreal is that one can buy craft beers in craft beer stores. Do you have large beer stores there?

17. MCDub

MCDub Savant (320) North Carolina Dec 17, 2009

1. Traquair House Ale
    2. Traquair House Ale

Also it's worth reading about their brewing techniques. Extremely long and hot boil to achieve caramelization in the kettle. The wort goes through a huge volume reduction during the boil.

18. I'm with the folks on the AleSmith Wee Heavy, but the BA Wee Heavy is even MORE amazing!

Grant35 likes this.
  19. Grant35

Grant35 Savant (315) California Jul 7, 2012

BA Wee Heavy from Alesmith. Don't think anything can top this

thetastywort likes this.
  20. I have not made the trip out to their brewery, though I would like to sometime.

As for beer stores in Montreal, I have a love/hate relationship with the way alcohol is distributed here in Quebec:

For wine, spirits, and imported beer, the SAQ (Quebec liquor commission basically) has full control. They have a tendency to significantly mark up the price of everything, and in the case of beer, they severely restrict what is allowed into the province. The SAQ also has very little interest in moving beer; they are mainly about wine. This leads to a very small pool of imports and, while some of these are amazingly good (I can grab Rocheforts off the shelf no problem, for example), I simply cannot get fine American products. All purchases must also be made in their boutiques. Almost NO Quebec craft, with VERY few exceptions, is sold at the SAQ.

On the other hand, domestic and local craft beer (local only counts Quebec, unfortunately, not the rest of Canada) can be purchased at any gas station, grocery store, or convenience store (which is not the case for all of Canada). Unlike Ontario, we do not have a "beer store", and any place where beer is sold can choose to stock what they please. Certain establishments, which are independently owned, can choose to stock craft beer in varying quantities. For example, there is a Metro (grocery store chain) in Verdun which stocks many types of craft; there is also the famous "depanneur Peluso" which is actually a "Boni-Soir" (a convenience store chain). Tony Peluso just chooses to stock the back with bottles of just about every craft beer you can find in Quebec (sold, of course, at a premium price). So no, we don't really have many "craft beer stores" exactly (there are some who make it the center of their business model), but many establishments choose to make craft beer a big part of their business.

Now, back to talking about some bitchin' scotch ales! :D

21. Gotti311

Gotti311 Advocate (620) Wisconsin Mar 22, 2009

I distinguish between scotchs and wee heavys.

I have to go with Three Floyd's Robert the Bruce as my favorite scotch with an honorable mention to Lake Louie Warped Speed.

Tough to beat Backwoods Bastard for a Wee Heavy, that beer is smooth as silk fresh, but I'm still pretty excited to be aging a few of these. Lake Louie Reserve Scotch was really good fresh. I plan on cracking an aged bottle (8-9 months) in the next three weeks. I have heard 1 good and 1 bad review about this beer aged.

22. Old Chub & Claymore

Stoutish and RobertColianni like this.
  23. Lots of good ones on this thread! I'd have to add Duck Rabbit Wee Heavy to the list of ones that age well. I just drank a 4-5yr. old one last night that was simply amazing. SlĂ inte!

24. anth0ny

anth0ny Aficionado (175) Michigan Jan 5, 2012

I'm with everyone on Dirty Bastard and Backwoods, BWB is probably one of my top favorite beers of all time.

But as far as the style goes, a guy at my local craft beer store was saying that Dirty Bastard is not a true
    scotch ale. He called it an American Strong Ale. Does anyone else have any insight on that, as far as what
    doesn't make Dirty Bastard a scotch ale or what makes a true scotch ale?

25. Handle

Handle Savant (395) North Carolina Mar 16, 2009

Ha! Have you tried Yeastie Boys Rex Attitude yet? It's brewed with 100 percent peated malt, and it's an experience.

26. No. I don't plan on it. My guess is that it would smell like an electrical fire from all of the phenolics.

27. Handle

Handle Savant (395) North Carolina Mar 16, 2009

That's pretty accurate. Smelled and tasted like burning plastic.

And yet somehow I enjoyed a full glass.

28. Smitty1988

Smitty1988 Savant (325) Arizona Oct 16, 2012

1. Favorite . Four Peaks Kiltlifter of Tempe, AZ (drink local)
    2. Cellar. Cigar City Big Sound

highdesertdrinker likes this.
  29. CasanovaCummins

CasanovaCummins Savant (430) Nevada Jan 10, 2012

Founder's Dirty Bastard
    Dark Horse Scotty Karate
    Moylan's Kilt Lifter

Mitchell57 likes this.
  30. Jayarees

Jayarees Aspirant (25) California Mar 8, 2013

Alesmith Wee Heavy.

I also really enjoy Meantime Scotch Ale. A little lighter but very tasty.

Have not been able to find Backwoods or Big Sound for comparison.

31. I'm new to Scotch Ales, having only had Dirty Bastard and 2010 Backwoods Bastard (the latter on tap). Backwoods was the better of the two, though I would like to try a fresh bottle of Backwoods Bastard for comparison as well.

Moving forward, I just picked up bottles of Dark Horse Scotty Karate and AleSmith Wee Heavy. Looking forward to trying them both.

32. Backwoods Bastard for sure!!

33. braugon

braugon Savant (355) Connecticut Mar 14, 2013

Should Try Wet Willy from NEBCO next time youre around.

34. Scotch Ales are one of my least favorite styles (so my experiences are limited)... With that said, Olde Hickory makes a limited release named "Seven Devils" that is Bourbon Barrel Aged... It's fantastic

35. chrown

chrown Aspirant (45) Michigan Jan 27, 2013

Backwoods Bastard, Scotty Karate, and Old Chub (in that order).

36. smutty33

smutty33 Advocate (650) Connecticut Jun 12, 2009

Smuttynose Scotch ale........8.2% abv

Latest bottling in the Big Beer Series was 1/3 barrel aged and oh so smooth.

Cheers

37. Thads324

Thads324 Savant (390) Connecticut Jan 21, 2010

Tranquir house ale or Jacobite

38. deezy23

deezy23 Aficionado (185) Georgia Nov 15, 2009

khargro2 likes this.