1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Best Scotch ale?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Ant7780, Feb 16, 2013.

1. After trying and loving most all of these listed, (DB being my fave still), i didn't see my new fave.....
    Kuhnhenns A Few Shillings Too Many. Find it and try it, a ridiculous beer.

2. Reswald

Reswald Savant (320) Alaska Mar 31, 2007

Yes, I loved MacAndrews. When I was in Scotland in 2000, I had Edinburgh Strong Ale (the Caledonian beer that MacAndrews was the bottle version of) on cask at the Bridge of Orchy Hotel. Absolutely fantastic. I spent five year tweaking my homebrewed Scotch Ale to replicate it. I think I'm just about there...[​IMG]

3. ufmj

ufmj Savant (395) Florida Feb 15, 2013

4. njhopspop

njhopspop Savant (335) New Jersey Oct 17, 2010

ahh! post #64 and finally someone mentions Skull Splitter! one of the best!

Mediczod likes this.
  5. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

try the Wee Heavy from Steel Toe out of Minnesota...great big juicy rich malts.

6. TheCondor

TheCondor Savant (395) Missouri Dec 29, 2011

I too love the fact that we are talking about something outside the norm. I get so tired of hearing people wet themselves over Pliny. I love a good Scotch Ale/wee heavy. Skull splitter is good, but the Founders beers and Arcadia take it for me.

Mothergoose03 likes this.
  7. Moose90

Moose90 Savant (430) Colorado Nov 25, 2012

The Old Chubber

8. thegodfather1076

thegodfather1076 Savant (385) Ohio Oct 11, 2009

Old Chub!!! Hell of a beer!!! Really need to start expanding my Scotch Ale horizons though!!!

RobertColianni likes this.
  9. And months after its special release, you can still pick up a bottle of the BA Wee Heavy from their tasting room. Why this one didn't sell out is one of those mysteries in life I will never understand.