Best session beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Darkmagus82, Feb 13, 2013.

1. pixieskid

pixieskid Advocate (660) Germany Jun 4, 2009

SNPA in cans tasted delicious when I was stateside just last week. Had a little over 2 months on it and everytime I cracked one, a solid dose of cascade hops emerged... my wife and I rocked it from the can for a couple of weeks while at the beach.

Otherwise, Brooklyn Lager is a favorite of mine when on the east coast.

2. pixieskid

pixieskid Advocate (660) Germany Jun 4, 2009

Every night? Really...

Not that it isn't a great beer, but I'd have a hard time enjoying a quad every night, let alone 6 of the same one...

3. MattSweatshirt

MattSweatshirt Advocate (680) Texas Jun 29, 2011

Last spring/summer time I had a bunch of Paulaner Hefeweizen and it was glorious. I don't really session, but that was great.

4. Cairngorm Black Gold Stout, Fyne Ales Jarl and Spectrum Dark Fantastic should be a good start.

jmw likes this.
  5. Fremont Summer Ale! And its in cans now!!!!

6. patto1ro is being sarcastic. (or wait, are you being sarcastic as well? o_O )

pixieskid likes this.
  7. CTJman

CTJman Champion (795) Connecticut Jan 14, 2013

dales pale ale

BDEE likes this.
  8. basscram

basscram Savant (365) Florida Mar 29, 2006

Best session beer. There is no way I can pick just one. How about I make it broad. A low abv saison, A nice Kolsch. Pilsners, Schwarzbiers, One of my recent fave session beers is Hotter than Helles from Cigar City, and is the only beer I've tried for this style. Wit beers that are as flavorful as wheat beers which one I've tried from Rogue called Half E Weizen. Oh. Yuengling in the can. Ultimate session beer in the litres for me is Franziskaner Dunkel. Oh. a nice murphy's

9. sukwonee

sukwonee Advocate (560) Washington Dec 13, 2011

Fremont Select 77 was pretty solid. 4% ABV APA.

10. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

Newburgh Brewing Smoked Stout.

11. I think we've discussed this in the past, but I am in complete agreement with you about many drinkers being unaware of this. Assuming our body is processing one beer per hour (a beer being defined as 12 ounces and 5% abv), then I can't call any beer over 5% a session beer. If something is "only" 5.6% abv, that will catch up with you over the course of a few beers, whether you notice it or not (tolerances vary obviously). For me personally, anything under 5% qualifies, and anything 4% or less (that still has flavor) is right in my wheelhouse. Unfortunately my wheelhouse in the USA is quite small.

This is why I LOVE NERAX. I can down multiple samples that are incredibly flavorful and not leave feeling wasted (maybe a bit buzzed, but still quite functional).

tai4ji2x likes this.
  12. Acforster2

Acforster2 Savant (280) Florida Jan 17, 2011

Old Milwaukee

seakayak likes this.
  13. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

Under 5%

Anchor Steam
    Anchor Summer
    Two Brothers Session Haul
    Full Sail Session Lager
    All the beautiful English Bitters I don't have access to

14. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

I've got to ask. Why wouldn't we be including pilsners as "beer"?

15. At around 4% ABV the dehydating effect of the alcohol balances the hydrating effect of the rest of the beer. Above 4% therefore beer ceases to be thirst quenching and we get into the realms of drinking water as well to avoid dehydration.
    By pure serendipity ( the ravages of war and its consquent taxation) the standard pub beer in these islands settled down just shy of 4% and people found a) the brewers had learned how to brew very tasty beers of this strength and b) they could drink beer like this all night without too many ill effects.It became called session beer for a good reason.
    If the term "session beer" is used loosely to describe anything you feel OK to drink in quantity it really becomes a meaningless adjective. It's the modern equivalent of "small beer" ie thirst quenching stuff intened to be drunk by the multiple pint.
    No way on the planet could 5% ABV be considered to be a session beer; believe me you just can't treat it like one and I speak from bitter (pun intended) experience.

beerme411, ericj551 and tai4ji2x like this.
  16. Timothy Taylors Landlord. At 4.1% and full of flavour it is the perfect session beer. Fullers Discovery isn't too far behind at only 3.9%. Also really liked Meantime's Pacific Pale Ale 4.0% but it hasn't really registered on here. Maybe this site should show the best rated beers under 4.5% regardless of style? (except alcohol free) Just an idea to put out there.

hopfenunmaltz likes this.
  17. Ha- let's not go down that road- it's most definitely 'beer', and one of the great styles as far as I'm concerned.

I was just talking about how broad the discussion about 'session beers' would be in this thread. As you can see from other posters, it usually has a much more precise definition.

18. seakayak

seakayak Savant (355) Massachusetts May 20, 2007

19. New Albion Ale is the perfect session beer IMO.

20. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (500) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

I've cut down. It used to be seven.

21. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (500) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

Only sort of. You really don't want to know how much St. Bernardus Abt I drink in a week.

22. gregkoko

gregkoko Aficionado (235) New York Mar 12, 2010

Carton Boat of course

MLeicht likes this.
  23. I'm going with Session Lager. Cheap, tastes good. They are decent on calories, too.

24. I believe there was a study in Scientific American detailing this. I can try to find it later on. But yes, 4% is not arbitrary.

25. PORTerCITY

PORTerCITY Zealot (85) California Feb 9, 2013

Firestones Velvet Merlin!!! 5.5 abv.

26. BDEE

BDEE Aficionado (125) Wisconsin Feb 11, 2012

3 Floyd's Pride & Joy. Same great flavors as their other awesome pales and IPAs without the punch in the liver. Don't know why this beer doesn't get more pub. My bottle shop regularly runs out of Alpha King, Gumballhead, Robert the Bruce and all the other bombers and seasonals, but Pride & Joy is always available. And I'm cool wit that.

27. Handle

Handle Savant (395) North Carolina Mar 16, 2009

I have to confess that I don't drink much below 5 percent -- not because I'm opposed to lower ABV beers, but because there are really so few of them out there.

Locally, The Olde Mecklenburg Brewery offers a few nice options (their pilsner and altbier are 4.8 percent, their dunkel 4.9). I also like NoDa Brewing's Hope's Stout, which is a very sessionable, 4 percent milk stout.

28. michman

michman Savant (275) Illinois Oct 14, 2005

london pride. actually any good english bitter usually does the trick for me. i need the ABV low as possible as my sessions tend to be longer than most haha!

29. Ranbot

Ranbot Advocate (510) Pennsylvania Nov 27, 2006

When I'm not sessioning Utopias, I like 21st Ammendment Bitter American (4.2%) and Anchor Steam Mark's Mild (4.0%). I have a soft spot for Long Trail Ale (4.6%), even if the ABV is a little high

30. Bluebird, Jarl, Peters Well, Brewers Gold, Bitter&Twisted

There are a lot more, I don't think any one stands out head and shoulders above the rest.

31. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Savant (445) California Dec 21, 2011

Velvet Merlin and Franziskaner

32. I would say Tuckerman's Pale Ale/Yuengling/any Long Trail really...

33. dap325

dap325 Aficionado (190) New York Apr 2, 2009

Sixpoint The Crisp is a good one. Yuengling is not a bad choice either, since you can find it pretty much everywhere.

BeerKangaroo likes this.
  34. fx20736

fx20736 Advocate (520) New York Mar 7, 2009

If there was anything that would drive me to home brew it is the lack of session beers in the US.

I used to be able to buy Hooky Bitter but alas, no more. That was a very tasty 3.6%.

35. :sigh: SMDH

people keep posting beers above even beeradvocate's 5% ABV definition, the highest standard out there. (lew bryson's session beer project is 4.5% and the original UK is 4%.) if you can't even stick to that generously high limit, WHY EVEN BOTHER?

36. On a hot summer day, I'm a sucker for Festina Peche.

37. rmalinowski4

rmalinowski4 Savant (350) Illinois Oct 22, 2010

How about some Berliners?

38. Well, "everywhere" except in the 36 states where it is not distributed.;)

39. shagens

shagens Aficionado (240) Wisconsin Feb 11, 2013

My favorites are below

Oskar Blues Yella Pils (the way a can of pilsner was meant to taste)
    Carlsberg Elephant
    Laqunitas Czech Pils

40. shagens

shagens Aficionado (240) Wisconsin Feb 11, 2013

touché